Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alarm double beep-won't lock. I'm baffled.

Completely baffled here.  99 C4.  Alarm cycles through lock>>unlock>>Double beep when trying to lock from the FOB.  Doesn't lock the doors.  I can only lock drivers door from the key - single beep after that locks. I manually set passenger lock (from inside door), locked the drivers and got the single beep.  Then unlocked and back to double beep.

Durametric is inconsistent in reporting codes.  Last ones I saw indicated open door circuits - didn't get a chance to jot them extra expecting to see them again.  Reset the module, now no codes to report!

All micro switches in the doors are good.  Windows drop/go up as expected when triggered from outer handle/inner handle/door lock.  I assume the drivers door lock is good considering it will lock from the key.  I have another good drivers lock that I plugged in to the passenger side - same situations.  

I know there are other switches the alarm considers but I can't imagine the motion sensor or the center console would keep the car from locking!?!?  Durametric pointed mostly to doors (I think I remember something about circuit 15?). 

Any insight out there?  I really don't want to throw parts at it but am at the end of my capability/knowledge.  Long shot but could the ignition switch be causing this?? Anyone in Denver area with a PIWIS?  Durametric doesn't seem to have the capability In this instance.

HELP!!!!

6 minutes ago, Loren said:

An alarm double beep means the alarm system has a failed.

You will need Durametric or a Porsche diagnostic tool to find the fault and correct it.

I have the Durametric Enthusiast... Not sure how to find the fault when it suggest no issues after the system check.

I'll wager it is one of the microswitches inside the door lock mechanism (there are 5 switches inside, in addition to the switch on each handle).  The door lock can't read the one which says it is locked, so immediately unlocks.  Or it could be the switch which senses that the door is closed (thinks it is open), causing it to unlock immediately.  Triple-locking with the fob or key will force the system to lock, but it is only a temporary measure.

As Loren says - clear the codes and see which ones come back.  13, 14, 59, 60 & 61 are the clues that the microswitches aren't reading correctly.

35 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I'll wager it is one of the microswitches inside the door lock mechanism (there are 5 switches inside, in addition to the switch on each handle).  The door lock can't read the one which says it is locked, so immediately unlocks.  Or it could be the switch which senses that the door is closed (thinks it is open), causing it to unlock immediately.  Triple-locking with the fob or key will force the system to lock, but it is only a temporary measure.

As Loren says - clear the codes and see which ones come back.  13, 14, 59, 60 & 61 are the clues that the microswitches aren't reading correctly.

Yeah, this is what I was originally thinking.  I didn't realize there are 5 inside - the ones acknowledging the doors are closed work fine (per window action).  Already replaced the drivers... I guess I'll throw the passenger at it and see!  

I just manually set the passenger door to locked (at lock mechanism inside door), then locked drivers with the key.....no beeps (single or double).  Seem reasonable that the passenger lock is culprit.

Could ambient temperature affect this issue?  My car would give the double-beep when I'd try to unlock the doors using the switch on the dash.

I don't normally lock my doors while driving, but the red light would come on in the switch to signal locked doors.

Durametric showed codes 47, 60, and 61.  This only started about a month ago (here in DFW) when the temps started hitting 100.  This week, we're in the 70's & 80's, and no codes, and no issues.

New door locks in.... No change.

I can manually lock the passenger door (at exposed door lock) then lock drivers door with key and get the system armed. Otherwise I cannot get the system to lock... Aren't there some locking methods other than relying on the fob?

Any other thoughts out there? Anyone in Denver area with a Porsche tester?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/24/2016 at 0:19 PM, Richard Hamilton said:
Is the fob working at all?  Does the button on the dash lock the doors?  If not, check the fuse on the alarm unit under the left hand seat. (Between the 2 plugs - 15A). Also check it isn't wet under the seat.

Fixed - ended up being two bad passenger lock swithces.  Back in business with a no beep, fully locked 996!

Edited by GLIDE

On 24 August 2016 at 8:01 PM, GLIDE said:

Fob works.

Dash button yields same result.

Fuses good.

Above photo of immobilized area... Bone dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm confused. Sorry.  When you say the fob works, and the dash button yields the same result, do you mean that the system locks and the immediately unlocks?

As wyovino asks, did you fit a complete new passenger door lock mechanism?