Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm trying to understand the outputs of the 997.1 cooling fan control unit. I understand that the fans are a continuously variable type and run in proportion to the cooling water temperature.

How is the fan speed adjusted? For example, is the voltage adjusted by the control unit? Maybe 0v to get 0 RPM, to 12v to get max RPM. Or, PWM?

I'm interested in using this info to add a manual override to be able to run the fan at max speed by a dash switch (but maybe needing some "smarts" if PWM is involved).

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

The control of the fans is realized by a PWM signal via the fan control box, however the operation  is more complex, DME 7.8- CAN (high speed and comfort)-GATEWAY-AC-ENGINE/COOLANT/ENGINE ROOM/OUTSIDE temp. sensors and the board network control box are involved.

Thanks RFM.

Since PWM is meant to (electrically) safely give the device effectively "less" voltage, or more precisely, less "time" at the nominal voltage, to get the fan the run "wide open", one could just supply it with straight/unmodulated nominal voltage - does that seem right?

To do this, I could tap into the 12v that's supplying (because it's got the proper current carrying capacity) (in other words, on the input side of the controller) the controller, and add my dash switch in between this tap-in point and the termination at the fan.

This effectively gives the fan 12v 100% of the time, whereas the normal circuit gives it 12v between 0% and 100% of the time depending on what the controller is commanding it to do.

IF this works, I would add a diode in line between your input and the controllers output to stop any back feed of your 12v into the controllers output. This is on the (not necessarily safe) assumption that Porsche do not use this line for data transfer back to the controller.

Thanks jl-c. That's a great idea.

Here's a different possible approach. How could I fake out the controller to think that the coolant temperature is "too high"? Could I not feed that voltage (or signal? or resistance?) into the controller and then the fans would run on high? Does anyone have some specifics on the voltage and controller terminal for the coolant temp sensor?

15 hours ago, floatingkiwi said:

I don't think the algorithm uses coolant temp, only engine bay temp possibly in conjunction with speed and outside temp.

Howdy floatingkiwi, is it possible you're mixing up the engine bay purge fan operation with my need for information about the coolant/radiator/evaporator fan control? I'm needing info or a technique to be able to manually turn on the fan with a switch.

What I had done is drilling a hole in the right radiator, tapped thread into it and added a Mercedes temperaure sensor (85 C /185 F ) and spliced it into the fan whirring. 

All is working as normal except when the coolants get 85 degrees at radiator, => L +R fan full speed. 

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5365.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

Edited by Rob001
pictures

8 hours ago, Rob001 said:

What I had done is drilling a hole in the right radiator, tapped thread into it and added a Mercedes temperaure sensor (85 C /185 F ) and spliced it into the fan whirring. 

All is working as normal except when the coolants get 85 degrees at radiator, => L +R fan full speed. 

Thanks Rob - this sounds like an idea worth pursuing. Can you draw and take a close-up pic of the MB radiator temp switch tie-in to the fan electrical supply line(s)? I want to make sure I cut/tap into the correct lines. Is your car a 997.1? I may just substitute a SPST switch in the cabin (for the MB temp switch). Did you use a diode to keep the current flowing in only one direction?

997.1 just tap into the yellow/ blue wire, no diode needed.

When cut, fan goes to full speed both sides so when connected to sensor the "cut" will then at 85 C 

On 10/6/2016 at 8:17 AM, Rob001 said:

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5365.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

This exactly what I need. Do have a year and model of the Mercedes that the sensor originally came from?