Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

smoke and cel help!

I just bought a 01 911 2 with 30,000 miles. I love this car and always been a big fan of Porsches. Today while driving my baby I had my cel light come on and before I could go back to my shop I gave it some hard acceleration and on a 5th gear shift a large cloud of smoke came out. I jumped off the gas took it easy and went back to my shop to plug in my scanner. I got the p1128 and 1130 codes and have already done a search but I saw no one mention the smoke. Please tell me this was just a lean mixture that caused this and nothing serious got hurt. My car idles at 760rpm and one board member said 680 is normal. Is this my problem or is 760rpm normal? When I started my car again there was a cloud of dark smoke but since a quick drive and reset I have not seen any smoke. Please help! :unsure:

Also note that my Idle does not surge up and down.

• Admin

Normal idle speed on a 3.4 liter car is 700 RPM.

I don't think idle is your problem - the CEL and smoke is.

P1128 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 . 3) - Rich Threshold

P1130 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold

These mean that the fuel/air mixture is so lean that sensing has reached its rich threshold. That is, you have an air leak that the DME can not add enough gas to meet proper mixture (and emissions).

Probable causes are (from the OBD II manual):

- Intake air system leaking.

- Fuel pressure too low.

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low.

- Fuel injectors fouled.

Since you had (or still have smoke) then the oil separator is a potential air(/oil) leak. Even a bad oil filler cap or hose can cause this too. You need to find the source of the air leak.

Loren thanks for the reply, the car does not smoke any more. It had one puff at wide open throttle and never came out again until the car was shut off and restarted. After that it was ok. When I reset the code and pushed it hard there was no smoke. Are there any pics of the parts you are talking about or is there a source with diagrams to help me find the locations of these parts?

• Admin

If you are not familiar with the engine and it's air intake, vacuum lines, and crankcase ventilation then you should likely take it to someone that is.

This could be something as simple as a bad seal or loose oil filler cap or more complicated like an oil separator. Someone familiar with what to look for should be able to find the problem and cure it.

Hi, mine did the same thing, an occasional cloud of smoke when under hard acceleration. In my case it was the bellows tube connecting the crankcase to the oil separator, that would give you your CEL as well as "vacuuming" oil through the separator until it was overwhelmed and sending a slug of oil through the intake. Hence the smoke cloud. Changing just the bellows is fairly straightforward, I changed the separator to be on the safe side. I suggest if you want to do a DIY that you start a serious workout programme on your thumb and forefinger, they will be in for some seriously hard work on hose clamps etc.

It is also worth checking the flexible pipe between the oil filler cap and the crankcase, these split giving similar problems.

John

Thanks for the reply c928jon, I will do a complete inspection of my engine bay and look for those possible problems. I see this forum is as helpful as the S2k international forum, thank you all for your quick and helpful tips :thumbup:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have a photo of where the bellows and separator are located? I found on here, but I don't really know what I'm looking for and one image is all blurry.

I`ll share my experience in case it helps.

2002 Carrera.

Oil level was a bit higher than top mark.

Accelerated hard 1-2-3. In first making a sharp left turn, Once in 3rd, car smoked white smoke like crazy for 500 feet. Then nothing

On the next two cold starts, it smoked a lot for 30 seeconds.

Since then all back to normal

I found out on other forums some guys with exact same conditions as above had the same thing happen.

A little bit of smoke 5-10 seconds is normal to me, depends how hard it was pushed on the last drive.

Hope this helps