Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sport Chrono software ugprade instructions request

I had a dead battery event.  My local dealer was able to clear the codes but now I have two problems (1) sport button doesn't work and (2) no more individual memory menu item in the PCM.  My car is a 2006 C2S and had these options from the factory.  I'm pretty sure they were accidentally deactivated in PIWIS.  To reenable I understand I need activation codes tied to my VIN which of course I do not have.  I'm working on getting them locally but struggling with my clueless dealer.

So two requests:

1.  Anyone have the install instructions for the Sport Chrono software upgrade kit?  I'm sure the process to reenable sport mode on my car is the same, provided I can get the access codes.

2.  Anyone have a lead on where I can get the original access codes for my car?  I shouldn't have to pay for a full sport chrono upgrade, just the time to get my original codes emailed to me.  But I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

Pretty sure they've tried resetting it with PIWIS but I'll ask again.  I've also reset it with Durametric and was able to verify the button and button light operates with the activation menus.  Just no sport mode when pressed normally.

I got the impression the tech is either new or never dealt with PIWIS activation codes before.  Is there a specific procedure number they follow to get the codes from PAG that I can point them to?  Or is it just email/phone to get the codes?  Unfortunately this is the only dealer near me so I need to work through their less than stellar troubleshooting abilities.  I'd like to go back with perhaps step by step instructions if I get a blank stare when suggesting they contact PAG for the original activation codes.

OK, finally spoke with an experienced tech at a local indy.  He was able to lookup the codes for me over the phone but says sending the codes to me is half the problem.  Whoever enables sport chrono with these codes tied to my VIN needs an online version of PIWIS.  An offline version of PIWIS will not be able to do it since the codes require backchecking with PAG to ensure they are valid.  So I need both the codes and an online PIWIS session to renable sport chrono and individual memory.  Fortunately this indy has that capability.

I have an appt. on Wed to get it fixed.  Should be less than a hour of labor time only.  Who knew changing a battery would be so difficult?

Just got back from the dealer.  They struggled for an hour then tried to say it was something hardware related.  I spoke with the tech and asked him if he enabled sport mode in both the vehicle electrical system and the PCM with PIWIS.  He only looked at the PCM section but would give it a try.  Two minutes later it's working.  Honestly I'm disappointed I was charged for the full hour.  No luck on them getting the individual memory working on the PCM though.  And to top it off they would not give me a copy of the enabling codes tied to my VIN.  I feel handcuffed on this one - must see the dealer for the codes but have to deal with dealer incompetence.  Oh well, I'll be swapping the head unit out soon enough anyway.  Rant over, time to go out for a drive.

6 hours ago, semicycler said:

Just got back from the dealer.  They struggled for an hour then tried to say it was something hardware related.  I spoke with the tech and asked him if he enabled sport mode in both the vehicle electrical system and the PCM with PIWIS.  He only looked at the PCM section but would give it a try.  Two minutes later it's working.  Honestly I'm disappointed I was charged for the full hour.  No luck on them getting the individual memory working on the PCM though.  And to top it off they would not give me a copy of the enabling codes tied to my VIN.  I feel handcuffed on this one - must see the dealer for the codes but have to deal with dealer incompetence.  Oh well, I'll be swapping the head unit out soon enough anyway.  Rant over, time to go out for a drive.

Maybe this isn't the dealer to ask but...what is this Porsche phenom where a dead battery can do harm (beyond needing a jump)?

Hopefully I'll get a little warning when mine's about to go...has anyone used those 9v battery temp hookups through the cigarette lighter to try to keep the electronics alive while the battery is disconnected just awaiting the new battery to be hooked up (the disconnection time around 5-10 minutes)?

Normally a dead battery change is straight forward.  Yes a lot of dash error lights come on afterwards but most clear after a short drive.  An airbag light requires a dealer visit, Durametric, or PIWIS to clear though.  In my case I suspect the coding got messed up along the way somehow disabling sport chrono.  This doesn't normally happen.  Maybe the dealer tried reflashing the DME perhaps?  I don't know for certain.  The frustrating part is knowing more than the tech and needing to have the tech do the work because Porsche.

Loren - with respect to enabling the individual memory option, do you know the specific steps to enable it?  I'm sure the tech entered the enabling code in PIWIS but for whatever reason it didn't turn it on.  Nothing shows up on the PCM menus.  Are there multiple spots in PIWIS to enter the code like with Sport Chrono, or additional steps required to activate it?  Short of opening a case with Porsche and charging me more money to diagnose the dealer is stumped.  Any guidance is appreciated!

• 2 years later...

digging up and old post but:

Have a issue with a new to me 997 car equipped with the Sports Chrono package however its not available in the Multi-Function Display same with the radio and Nav text, that should be there when cycling with the MFD stalk.

I also don't see the Cruise control indicator on the dash.

The high beams only work when pulled to flash not the forward position for constant on.
I went into coding using the Durametric and enabled all the options I have however not working.

I suspect its reverted back to handover /delivery mode as the Carfax has 3 key reprograms in the history.

Anyone have thoughts will end up at the dealer however after reading this i have my doubts forking over $200 an hour.

• 3 months later...