Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Renzo511 said:

Hi all,

I'm new on this site so forgive me if I post improperly.

How many oxygen sensors are there in my 2004 Cayenne S v8 ?

Pete

One before the cat and one after the cat on each bank.

So a total of four.

Do you have a fault code?

Many times the fault points to a problem that is not an O2 sensor.

• Upvote 1

Loren thank you for that answer. I had assumed it was 4..

My CEL came on yesterday.. stopped at AutoZone for a quick test and it came up as :

1.)upstream o2 sensor 

2.) Camshaft position sensor timing

3.) Fuel pump voltage

I just bought the cayenne yesterday after about 20 miles the CEL came on...

The car has been sitting for a while (6 months) gas was pretty low and I filled it.

After about 70 miles the car started running rough and sluggish (sort of sputtering), similar to when engine is misfiring...

I notice a fair amount of black build up on tail pipes (not oily at all).

I'm assuming it's the o2 sensor causing these issues.

I plan to replace plugs and coils asap also

Hi all,

I'm new on this site so forgive me if I post improperly.

How many oxygen sensors are there in my 2004 Cayenne S v8 ?

Pete

• Admin

You need to get the fault codes read with a Porsche specific tester (i.e Durametric, or Porsche PIWIS tester).

They will give you specific faults and solutions to those faults - as well as actually readouts of cam timing (if that is an issue).

Just so you know... O2 sensors rarely causes problems - rather they report mixture and/or emissions problems.

Without actual Porsche fault codes you are just guessing at solutions and that can get very expensive very fast.

• Admin

The best and most proper reset is through software.

You can disconnect the battery and it will clear the emissions faults (not airbags or other safety related faults) -- but, you will also have to re-train the engine and transmission for normal driving. Do a search here for throttle adaption in the Cayenne section.

I have split this topic off on its own since it is not related to the topic thread it was in.

Just finished plugs and coils...

Started the.throttle adaption and after about a minute or so I get a warning saying "switch off- load failure"

I started the cayenne and it's idling very rough and stalls after about 45 seconds

Now I have a PSM failure light and warning coming up..

Any idea what's happening now ?

PSM.

Assuming you disconnected your battery, the following may rectify it :-

Steering angle sensor (PSM)
The steering angle sensor must be re-initialised when the battery is disconnected and connected.

• Turn wheels to straight-ahead position. 
  • Switch ignition off and then on again twice. 
  • Start engine. 
  • From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20 degrees to the right, past the straight-ahead position. 
  • Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed above 2.5 mph. 

Edited by wizard

Check these fuses in the engine mounted fuse box.

Fuses F7 (20A), F8 (20A) are for the Fuel injectors and ignition coils.

Fuses F17 (15A), F18 (7.5A) are for the O2 sensors.

You should also check your battery voltage with ignition off and then with engine running.

Edited by bigbuzuki

Am I checking to.see if blown ??

What could be causing the real rough idle and stalling ?

It was running a little rough before I changed the plugs and coils...now it's much worse...I would think new coils and plugs would have improved the situation

12 minutes ago, Renzo511 said:

Am I checking to.see if blown ??

What could be causing the real rough idle and stalling ?

It was running a little rough before I changed the plugs and coils...now it's much worse...I would think new coils and plugs would have improved the situation

Yes, check for blown fuses, reseat the fuses if not blown.

Do the battery voltage check also.

Bigbuzki is correct easy stuff first. 

What you battery voltage engine off ignition off? Your looking for 12.6volts dc

When idling what the voltage? Expect 13.5-14.5volts dc. 

Check your driver and passenger foot well under the carpets any water any broken or corroded wires? 

Open the cover for "wet fuse box" near brake fluid reservoir, Any water inside or any fuses blown? 

Blow out the drain holes from the sunroof aperture which runs down to the wet fuse box area. This actually can cause the water to run inside the A pillar and down to your carpet and a wet headliner near the door jam. 

Also check you battery terminal connection are clean and tight. 

There is a short length main earth connection cable running from the alternator to the passenger side chassis leg check this is clean and tight, this can be accessed from underneath with the bottom engine cover removed.