Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission off and oil everywhere!

I noticed a really significant oil leak recently coming from the bell housing over the past few weeks, and since my car is a 2001, planned to dig in deep to my IMS once everything was apart. Looks like it's the RMS leaking oil everywhere, BUT I also noticed I have what looks like blow by all over the top of my rear manifolds, and what looks like calcium deposits coming from what I think is the oil cooler...... Lastly I think I have a dual row IMS, can someone else please confirm? And lastly, for the million dollar question, is it worth replacing? IMS solution or LN bearing?

qDzrUT768dOyK_qZH6x49ev6JfxUAdsfXd5V5Otp

uaRf9QP_KvZY8nPmXOa5ookXT9truES-fN1aNiX1z6FVxMBKrgxSUGiJVVFYrojS7sOUyKQ1hf1y1odBQSeDGbHLjmrQuBBL6-qJRlNHIPGL-MZzXoyRi0CH

The oil leak looks like faulty AOS which allows excessive oil vapor sucked into the intake. Remove the throttle body and check deep inside the intake manifolds and see if you got puddle of oil. Definitely replace the AOS.

Calcium deposit under the coolant/oil heat exchanger is normal.

Replace the rms for sure (it's the old style).

Yes, your imsb looks like dual row because of the shallow dish flange.

Don't quote me but I think the latest reco from Jake is leave the dual row alone.

You can just use some water and simple green to clean that area under the heat exchanger. The deposit will be difficult to remove though.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 01slvr996 said:

Should I message Jake? Or call LN? Can remove/reuse the flange to inspect the IMS?

Realistically, if you are going to remove the IMS flange, you may as well do the IMS retrofit as you would also need new seals on the flange if you pull it. Once the flange is properly removed, you are less than 30 min. from completing a retrofit.  Another small, but very salient point is that most people looking at their first IMS bearing really have no idea if it is tight, loose, or somewhere in between, and that would be best determined with it out of the shaft, which would preclude reusing it.

^Agree with John above.

I also checked with Jake and that's what he said "Only the M97 IMSB should be left as it is. See the future IMS Video series from PCA for the details on this from Mr. Raby. Those videos are yet to be posted, but they have been recorded."

So if you plan to remove the flange, you may as well change the bearing to the dual row ceramic from LN. Note the ceramic bearing is open so engine oil can enter and leave it freely. Because of that I also recommend installing the LN spin on filter to avoid any debris from entering the oil (and IMSB) (e.g., if the bypass valve in the stock oil filter is tripped)

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, 01slvr996 said:

Ahsai and JFP, you guys would recommend the ceramic bearing over the IMS solution?

I would go the other way around:  The Solution over the ceramic bearing.  The Solution is the only permanent IMS retrofit (life of the engine) , and the only one that can actually be moved from one engine to another.  Kind of hard to beat.