Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bank 1 Chain Tensioner removal

I've been trying to find the answer to the question, do I need to lock the cam just to remove and re-seal the bank 1 chain tensioner on a 3.6 (2004 C2)?  I have a small oil drip and debating replacing the crush washer and o-ring.  I've done a lot of searching on forums and posted on rennlist but most everything I have found is tied to replacing the IMS bearing (which involves removal of this tensioner).  Picture of the tensioner in question attached.

IMG_0185.jpg

• Moderators

You should NOT remove any of the tensioners on a three chain engine, or a five chain for that matter, without first locking the crank at TDC to unload the cams, and then locking the cams with the proper tool.  Not doing so is running a very high risk of the valve spring pressures causing everything to turn and the cams to jump time, which then creates a major league headache to repair.

• 1 month later...

Any recommendation for finding these locking tools?  I see cam timing "sets" that are a several hundred dollars but all that I'm looking for is the tool to lock the cam while I change out the tensioner o ring and crush washer.  I read somewhere that locking crank at TDC can be done with a simple dowel.  I'm just trying to fix a slow drip from the tensioner and don't want to spend money for a full kit.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Any recommendation for finding these locking tools?  I see cam timing "sets" that are a several hundred dollars but all that I'm looking for is the tool to lock the cam while I change out the tensioner o ring and crush washer.  I read somewhere that locking crank at TDC can be done with a simple dowel.  I'm just trying to fix a slow drip from the tensioner and don't want to spend money for a full kit.

They are only sold as kits, try searching for someone selling a used kit, or even renting it online.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, wylken2010 said:

I accidentally remove the tensioner without locking the crank shaft..

what to do in order to ensure no further failure ?

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

You didn't say what year and model is involved, which is always useful information, or why you removed the tensioner.  Realistically, you can reinstall the tensioner you removed, and then go through the cam allocation procedure to see where the cam timing is currently, resetting it if necessary.  If you removed more than one tensioner, just remember that they are not all the same and each one must be installed in the correct location,

Good luck.

Thank you for your prompt support..

Porsche 996 C4 2002 3.6L

I didn't notice the it was a tensioner while I was doing regular engine oil change..... until I remove it then I knew I was totally wrong.. so sad.

Now keep the car stationary without any movement.. so bad....

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, wylken2010 said:

I removed only one, the one close to the oil pump

Now I need to ask a couple of questions: There are three hydraulic chain tensioners in these engines, two on the flywheel end, one on the water pump/oil pump end, and that one is located underneath the AC compressor, on the top of the engine.  None of them are anywhere near the oil pump, which is almost directly below the water pump.  So exactly what did you remove? And did it come from here:

oil control valve 1.png