Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just got the car less than 1 week ago (my weekaverssary is this Saturday...lol), and want to get familiar with the normal behavior of the car.  Here are some questions, maybe someone with the knowledge can chime in to educate me. 

I am not showing any issues on the car, and (knock on wood three times) hope I never will.  However, I want this info so I can keep an eye on behavior and maybe catch if it ever takes place on my car.

Thank you.

1.  How quick does the air suspension compressor take the car from normal driving level to high mode (in seconds, as an approximation)?

2.  Are there any air suspension messages/warnings I should be keeping an eye on?  Especially messages that are not issues, but could be one later on.

3.  What is the average distance in driving between getting message that oil is low?  So from full until time oil level says it is low, how many miles should I expect?  

4.  PDCC - is there anything about this system to keep an eye on, other than the PDCC black reservoir fluid level at max?  CH202 I believe is the proper fluid for this

5.  What is the proper process to check power steering (PDCC) fluid level - engine off or on, hot or cold?

6.  Suspension - so far so good, but how does your front end noises start manifesting?  Does it typically start with lower arms, upper, bushings or links on sway bar?  Anyone notice pattern in order of failure?  I have brand new lower control arms, but from having CTT can say upper arms typically make a lot of squeaking noises.

7.  Cooling system - any particular things to keep an eye on for this sub system?  Other than making sure fluid level is at max?

8.  PDK transmission - just got the car - no record of transmission fluid change yet.  Recommend change?  59k mi.  Didnt they say never needs changing fluid (lol)?

9.  Sport plus/launch control - anything to stay away from in terms of using the system?  I have not yet tried it, but want some info on typical usage, what to not do, ways not to do things, etc if I am clear here at all.  Just want to ensure if I use it, i use it properly without speeding up of breakage.

10.  Electrical system/battery - this is my daily driver if I can help it - any ways to keep that running well?  Trickle charge good for infrequent drivers, anything else I can do to preventative maintain?

Had other questions but cannot recall now.  Will add if I remember.  Greatly appreciate help.

The car I got just had a brand new battery put in (checked the trunk and it was dated end of 2017 for manufacture date).  So I appear to be covered.  Reason I put it on the list is I continuously see people putting their cars on trickle chargers.  If the car is driven every day there is no reason for that, since battery gets charged on the drives.  Am I not thinking correctly here?  Thank you for posting up.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, ciaka said:

The car I got just had a brand new battery put in (checked the trunk and it was dated end of 2017 for manufacture date).  So I appear to be covered.  Reason I put it on the list is I continuously see people putting their cars on trickle chargers.  If the car is driven every day there is no reason for that, since battery gets charged on the drives.  Am I not thinking correctly here?  Thank you for posting up.

Agreed - everyday drivers do not need trickle chargers.

Either way no battery is going to last more than 5 years.

I was pleasantly surprised to see battery on Panamera is in trunk, unlike in Cayenne, under driver seat.  Easier to get to and do stuff with.  You know - if you need a quick way to weld stuff, etc.

• 1 month later...

Per Porsche Maintenance sched.:

Replace PDCC reservoir at 60k miles or 6 years (assume replacement of reservoir includes oil)

Change PDK oil 60k miles or 6 years (PDK oil filter is built into the pan my dealer said replace pan at 120k. Have seen recommendation to replace pan at 60 k )

Spark plugs every 30k or 4 years

Brake fluid every 2 years

Tire sealant every 4 years (I bought a tire plug kit at Walmart and have AAA)

I had a front suspension rattle/clunk. My mechanic replaced the main fluid filled bushings on the lower control arms which were leaking and that cured the problem. Cost was about 1/2 of new lower control arms, but new arms are improved in some way so proper course is somewhat dependent on your values. Rattle on my car was much more noticeable below ~30 deg. F.  Don’t know if likelihood of bushing failure is temp. related or just more noticeable in cold weather.

All sorts of error codes, warnings, wierd crap cured by replacing battery that was original (2010) and still was testing fine.

Cooling system - Have seen some reports of failure of 1st gen thermostat housing with glued as apposed to 1 piece water pipes. This can result in the coolant all over the engine compartment. My mechanic and local dealer did not think it was a major concern. It’s located in the front of the engine under the “Y” intake. If you see coolant under there I would investigate promptly.  

Oil- about 1.25 qt in 3k miles but it seemed like more use right after I bought it which was winter and also after a period of low mileage (about 2k in year prior to my purchase). I’m assuming it has 0w40 in it but don’t know for sure but will be changed to Mobil 1 0w40 soon.

Bill 

2010 PTT 52k miles

purchased Jan ‘18, 48k

Edited by Fulwild

That makes sense now.  Great, thank you.  Add another maintenance item on my list.  Hope not difficult to replace - will have to start digging into manuals.

If anyone did this, advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.