Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Spark plugs...Help!!!

Three questions: 1. Should I be using the latest plugs (999 170 207 91) in my 99 C2?

2. Should I have previous experience working in the circus before attempting to remove the two rear plugs? Seriously, I'm 6' 2" and don't have the smallest hands. I can't get the 5mm socket cap screws out of the two rear coils and the screw on the top of the middle one on the drivers side. I'm trying to do this with a simple allen key wrench. Any suggestions?

3. Should I drive with only three new plugs? The other three came with the car in 1999. I have to get to work in the AM and I've thrown in the towel for the night (9:48 EST).

OT - Anybody have a cure for removing greasy dirt in the eye? I should have gotten those oil leaks fixed first...

Thanks for any response...

• Admin

1. Yes (that is the correct number for a MY99-01), always use the latest Porsche recommends.

2. No, just be patient. The last one on each side will take as long as aa the others. Try a ball end allen wrench and a short wobbler extension is handy for the plug angle too.

balldriver.gif

3. They should be okay until you can change the rest.

I'll let one of the doctors here answer the last question... ;)

Thanks Loren.  I'll head to SEARs today and pick up some ball-end allen wrenches.  Already got the wobbler extension and short-arm swivel head ratchet. 

My new mantras - must be patient...must wear safety glasses...

T,

I fit your dimensions & had the same problems when I swapped my plugs. Patience & the correct set of tools will make this less of a challenge. If you haven't done so already, you may want to remove the headers to give yourself a bit more elbow room. Just a thought.

Total of one hour including coffee break. Use two short socket extenders and a standard 5/8" 3 inch socket. Loosen using all three plus ratchet and then remove 1 extension to remove plug. Allen screws for the 2 back plugs are easiest to get to by reaching under and through the exhaust rather than trying to reach back to them from accros the head. Screws should be loosened with allen wrench and then can be removed with fingers. I am 6-5 with large hands and have no problems.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Total of one hour including coffee break.  Use two short socket extenders and a standard 5/8" 3 inch socket.  Loosen using all three plus ratchet and then remove 1 extension to remove plug.  Allen screws for the 2 back plugs are easiest to get to by reaching under and through the exhaust rather than trying to reach back to them from accros the head.  Screws should be loosened with allen wrench and then can be removed with fingers.  I am 6-5 with large hands and have no problems.

Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement. Getting the plugs out and in is duck soup with a 3" wobble extension + 1.5" extender. It's the %$^ socket cap screws that are giving me fits. I'm not looking forward to disconnecting and reconnecting the coil pack "one handed" either.

Gonna give it another try tonight with the ball-end allen key. Stay tuned...

Total of one hour including coffee break.  Use two short socket extenders and a standard 5/8" 3 inch socket.  Loosen using all three plus ratchet and then remove 1 extension to remove plug.   Allen screws for the 2 back plugs are easiest to get to by reaching under and through the exhaust rather than trying to reach back to them from accros the head.  Screws should be loosened with allen wrench and then can be removed with fingers.  I am 6-5 with large hands and have no problems.

Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement. Getting the plugs out and in is duck soup with a 3" wobble extension + 1.5" extender. It's the %$^ socket cap screws that are giving me fits. I'm not looking forward to disconnecting and reconnecting the coil pack "one handed" either.

Gonna give it another try tonight with the ball-end allen key. Stay tuned...

The worse cap screws to get out are the back one (closest to the bumper). I found I can get to these better by accessing them from directly below them, kind of manuevering my hand around the exhaust. (Works much better when the engine is cold). Once the screws are broken loose, you should be able to use you fingures to unscrew them the rest of the way.

Success!!! The top screw for the coil pack on the middle plug on the driver's side was a bear. After taking what seemed like an eternity to get the socket cap screw out, I drove the company van to Harbor Freight Tools for something to speed thinks along.

I picked up a small 1/4" socket drive ratchet that cost $6.99 and comes with 8 bits. I spent another $2.95 for the 8 piece metric bit set to get the 5mm 1/4" drive bit.

The screw tightened in a flash using the thumb speed wheel. The top socket cap screws on the rear coils came out real fast with the 5mm bit once they were loose. You probably don't need the cheesy ratchet - just bust them loose with an allen key and pop the 5mm bit on the socket cap screw and spin with your fingers.

Alas, the ball-end allen wrench didn't help at all. Sorry Loren.

Tried to upload a picture of the cheesy tool but ran into problems...

Success!!! The top screw for the coil pack on the middle plug on the driver's side was a bear. After taking what seemed like an eternity to get the socket cap screw out, I drove the company van to Harbor Freight Tools for something to speed thinks along. This is what I found...

It's not on their website but cost $6.99 and it comes with 8 bits. I spent another $2.95 for the 8 piece metric bit set to get the 5mm 1/4" drive bit.

The screw tightened in a flash using the thumb speed wheel. The top socket cap screws on the rear coils came out real fast with the 5mm bit once they were loose. You probably don't need the cheesy ratchet - just bust them loose with an allen key and pop the 5mm bit on the socket cap screw and spin with your fingers.

Alas, the ball-end allen wrench didn't help at all. Sorry Loren.

post-5131-1117671854_thumb.jpg