Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My Panamera Turbo displayed a “chassis system failure” message last night. Today the message is gone.  It has 6,000 miles but is a 2010 so it hasn’t been used much. A few days before the message displayed I noticed there is a “bump” or shutter when turning the wheel tight at low speeds. It almost feels like I’m going over a pot hole. I’m wondering if anyone has any idea of what the issue could be. I know the suspension is pretty complex. If anyone has an idea of what the problem is or where I should start looking for the source I’d appreciate the advice. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

My guess, without diagnostics, you may have air shocks leaking air and they do not get raised high enough to tell car it is at proper level for driving.

Regardless of mileage, rubber starts leaking.  

Put your car into normal mode, and see if it appears low (front and/or back wheels very close to well edges).  If yes, definitely shocks.

You will need to open hood,  unscrew the triangle covers that cover shock tops on each side, use soapy water to find if top of shocks/connectors are leaking air.  Bubbles will tell you they are.

I have DIY threads on air suspension which you should find and read to help understand.

Also, if this is not air shock related, it may be PDCC related.  Do you have messages on cluster with more detail?

Hope this gives you starting point.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Ciaka thank you for the advice. I took it to the dealer and they first replaced the valve block. That was a very long process because they said the part needed to be ordered. A month later they called and told me it was done. I picked up the car and then drove the car about 90 miles and the same “chassis system failure” message appeared. I once again took it to Porsche of Flemington, NJ and this time they said replacing the compressor would “probably” fix it. This time they only had it for 2-weeks. Lol. Ever since then it’s been fine with regards to the cars air suspension as it is functioning as it should. The complaint I still have is the banging or thumping sound the car makes when the wheel is cut all the way in one direction. It happen mostly when it’s cold. The dealer kept telling me it’s normal and all Porsche’s do it when it’s cold. I find it hard to believe a car that costs $150,000 is supposed to make such an awful noise when it’s cold. The service manager finally relented and admitted it can be fixed by replacing the lower control arm. He said there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the car and it performs as it should. He said replacing the control arms and getting it aligned would do nothing but eliminate the noise when it’s cold as well as eliminate a few thousand dollars from my pocket. He said if it was his car he would leave it and live with the noise when it’s cold because it is mechanically sound. I opted for that option because I intend to take it elsewhere. Now that I’ve researched it, I see that it’s a known problem and Porsche has addressed it in new models. I’ve always owned BMWs and Mercedes. I’ve never had any issues with them and they have always been extremely reliable. This is my first Porsche. I love it but I cringe and cross my fingers every time I start it. I’ve always heard about Porsche’s legendary reliability but my experience is more like with my ex. It’s expensive, very finicky and costs a fortune to enjoy its company. Also like my ex it’s sexy, fast and so much fun to ride. So now I face the same dilemma I did with her. Keep it and put up with the annoying and expensive upkeep for the exhilarating performance or get something reliable and sophisticated that I can live comfortably with. FML. Why a higher power hasnt figured out how to deliver both is beyond me. 

• 2 weeks later...

is the car stock or do you have a chip; i have had that error prior many times; i have a renn tech lowering module; the fault error would come on at random times; would stop and then start the car and the fault would go away sometimes for a couple months; did have to replace some parts and the fault still came back; sent chip back to renn tech and they tested with no errors; installed a new one also; same error again; it was a loose wire causing the issue; this was discovered after both front bags at $5K, one compressor then te other compressor; hopefully your issue is resolved; if not tell the dealer not to waste time with the smoke test and to use soap and water; also check the air baffle that is encased in metal housing as the baffle can crack on top and only to find the leak is to remove the housing.

• 2 years later...

I have a Panamera 4S, 2014 with 26,000 miles. The other evening the temperature was under 20 degrees. Don't you know I got the dreaded: Classic System Fault and 3 days later the Red, Classic System Failure......I cringe thinking what the dealer will charge to start diagnosing the problem but what choices do I have..... Any have a "home fix"?

1 hour ago, drehershman said:

I have a Panamera 4S, 2014 with 26,000 miles. The other evening the temperature was under 20 degrees. Don't you know I got the dreaded: Classic System Fault and 3 days later the Red, Classic System Failure......I cringe thinking what the dealer will charge to start diagnosing the problem but what choices do I have..... Any have a "home fix"?

The air suspension failure with replacing front sur shocks, related work, at dealer will cost about $10,000- $11,000.

You will get a nice rental though. Lol

I made some threads, which specifically address the air suspension failures.

One thread talks about diagnosis, and serves as an informational thread (what can happen, where, how to diagnose, etc).

Another thread shows actual sir suspension front shocks replacement.  This includes all tools and work related to doing both front shocks yourself.  It can be done as diy, at a fraction of the cost.

I suggest either search based on my username or search for air suspension, then find threads I created 

I urge you to read them both fully, before you get off the chair.  Know what to do. Before you attempt.

Hope this will be a good starter for you.  Let us know how you progress.

One point to make is, things will look terrifying until you actually start doing them.  After finish, you will be extatic that you did it.

If you cannot find the threads, let me know and I will help locate.  Tx.