Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hey guys, 

Still having a P0492 check engine light. Took apart all the secondary air injection system that sits on top (intake side) of the engine including the cross over tube. Below is the hole of cross over tube attaches to on passenger side.

I tried blowing compressed air through it but not hearing or seeing any air exiting anywhere. Poured fuel system cleaner in the hole but the level does not go down. My question, where does this hole lead to? My understanding is that this hole (located on the block) somehow leads down to the passage on the exhaust ports (on the cylinder head). Please correCt me if I'm wrong. The second picture is from another member here that cleaned the exhaust port channels. On the 3rd picture.. there is a larger hole which I believe it's connected to the sai port on top. However this port is on the head and not the block like the sai port above. Does it cross over somewhere in between?

Also any trick into cleaning the port from the top to the larger bottom exhaust port? I tried compressed air, bike wire/cable, carb and brake cleaner. All no luck unfortunately. 

20190305_092215.jpg

post-28257-0-99758600-1462677391.jpg

Porsche+Project_01641384189194.jpg

Have your DME flashed to a ROW (rest of the world) program and all your SAI errors go away and stay away.  Check out ECU Doctors for that.  All the SAI system does is pump air into the exhaust system while the cats are warming up.  On a 20 year old car, frankly, in my opinion, it is a waste of time.

Edited by DBJoe996

The SAI holes go pass-thru accross the block (top to bottom). 

I've pressured-washed the entire area, which ended up working pretty well (a rather unorthodox approach, but I felt comfortable about it).

You need to remove both intake and exhaust manifolds, spark plugs, disconnect battery, etc., etc. etc.

Any excess water needs to be very carefully siphoned from all cylinders by using a vacuum pump (such as a brake bleeder).

here's the link:

Having the area cleaned up is a project, what also needs to be understood is the reason why those ports are getting clogged. In my case, it was oil-related.

Check the status of your Air-Oil separator (AOS), as a faulty one will feed oil back into the combustion. Also sticky lifter issues can allow for more oil into the combustion chambers. And excess oil will eventually re-clog your SAI pass-thru holes and the CEL will be triggered on, never fun.

Edited by JuncoJones