Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster 2.5 white sludge at water pipe connection

Hi, I am trying to bring a 99 Boxster (2.5 Tiptronic RHD) back from the dead. I am in the process of removing the engine and gearbox and noticed some white sludge at one of the water pipe connections.

I am not expecting too much from this motor as it had no oil in when I took delivery of it but I was wondering if this could be an indication of where things started to go wrong?

The car also only had about 2 liters of clean water in the coolant circuit (no antifreeze). Quite sad considering it only has 126k Kms on it...

IMG_7145small.jpg

IMG_7147small.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Martin-dt986 said:

Hi, I am trying to bring a 99 Boxster (2.5 Tiptronic RHD) back from the dead. I am in the process of removing the engine and gearbox and noticed some white sludge at one of the water pipe connections.

I am not expecting too much from this motor as it had no oil in when I took delivery of it but I was wondering if this could be an indication of where things started to go wrong?

The car also only had about 2 liters of clean water in the coolant circuit (no antifreeze). Quite sad considering it only has 126k Kms on it...

IMG_7145small.jpg

IMG_7147small.jpg

Bigger question is where did it come from?  In good health, these engines do not do that...………...

• 4 weeks later...

An update on the project so far... The engine and gearbox removed and the heads are taken off. The inside of the engine actually looks a lot better that the outside (guessing the disintegrated oil-breather bellow had something to do with it).  I did see that the Cylinder 456 head was missing a water channel plug which was lying next to the inlet cam...

Is this a common occurrence?

Also I would have expected to see a lot more water in and around the cams of this head but I could not see any?

Any suggestions on a engine rebuild manual? The Bentley Service manual does not really cover any specific engine repairs...IMG_7265small.thumb.jpg.0f135d83cef2ad16812016cd4c7f29dd.jpg

IMG_7260small.jpg

IMG_1536small.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Martin-dt986 said:

An update on the project so far... The engine and gearbox removed and the heads are taken off. The inside of the engine actually looks a lot better that the outside (guessing the disintegrated oil-breather bellow had something to do with it).  I did see that the Cylinder 456 head was missing a water channel plug which was lying next to the inlet cam...

Is this a common occurrence?

Also I would have expected to see a lot more water in and around the cams of this head but I could not see any?

Any suggestions on a engine rebuild manual? The Bentley Service manual does not really cover any specific engine repairs...IMG_7265small.thumb.jpg.0f135d83cef2ad16812016cd4c7f29dd.jpg

IMG_7260small.jpg

IMG_1536small.jpg

Porsche never published any information about rebuilding these engines as they did not want that done in the field.  Jake Raby runs online and in person schools on the subject, and is the only source for printed material on the required torque specs, etc.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, Martin-dt986 said:

When rebuilding the Crank-shaft Carrier, can I re-use the bolts or do these need to be replaced?

Similarly are the con-rod bolts re-usable or do they also need to be replaced.

They, and the con rod bolts should both be replaced.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

And you did clean that indeed, looks like a new engine, great job. I just cleaned my engine two weeks ago and it looks great but doesn't look anywhere near as good as that lump does.  I used rubber gloves and no-scratch pads too.....but I did not get anywhere near that level of clean, wow.

Always makes me happy to see a car brought back to life like this.....I'll never understand how someone let their car get to that state in the first place.  I would only run water (the purest I could find) in my coolant system in a pinch, like if I had a coolant loss on the side of a highway and only had water but no coolant.  As soon as I got home I would flush and refill.

Suspension and other wear items should be a walk in the park at this point.......clearly you've put in some hard work.  Great thread, thanks for sharing.