Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'02 996 Airbag light on with Belt Tensioner Error Code 23

The Airbag light came on in my 2002 996 while I was on a long drive. I used my Durametric scanner and found that the fault says:

Airbag B05

Current Fault Codes

Belt tensioner, drivers

---

I've checked the archives and could not find this exact issue. I've cleaned the contacts with spray contact cleaner but the code did not clear. Do I need to replace the belt buckles? What is my next course of action?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Belt Tensioner Fault 31-July-2019.JPG

• Admin

Fault 23 

Possible cause of fault:
- Incorrect coding
- Short circuit to B+/ground or open circuit in the wiring between the driver's seat belt tensioner and the control module
- Driver's seat belt tensioner faulty
- Triggering unit for airbag faulty

I believe the seat belt tensioner is located in the B pillar....where the seat belt rolls back into the pillar.

Here is what I would do, pull the seat belt out all the way several times and see if it rolls back up correctly.

Then clear the code and see if it comes back.  It might just be an anomaly.

My seat belt light came on unexpectedly last evening.  Never before.  Once I hook up my  Durametric this morning, I am curious to find out what triggered it.

It was the passenger seat buckle. Cleared code, light is out. Shot some electrical contact cleaner in the buckle.  We shall see.

Edited by DBJoe996

can you just clear the code using the durametric?

Its possible that the code just shows up as a "mysterious Porsche thing."

Just clearing it is possibly ok.  It might very well show up again in a few weeks, months, years.  

Check out this issue on the forum.  some people have a durametric just to be able to clear the air bag light.

Right.  Totally right.  

My light came on at weird moments, but always stayed off for long times.  On longer road trips I had a partitioned MacBookAir with me just to clear the air bag just in case.  Never had it happen though.  My car had the gold contacts in the seat belts.  If you do go to a dealership, bring your credit card.  

Good luck. 

The log report shows code 21 Airbag B05 and lists that part number.  I am unsure if that means the sensor is simply reading a fault from an unidentified input or if it is that part.  I can’t much much information on code 21. The local shop told me I needed a new airbag, but how can they tell?  I had the signal stock changed a while ago and the the car back in for the steering squeaking.  I am wondering if it is possibly a loose or damaged connection, the clock spring, control sensor or the actual bag. I don’t want to randomly start changing parts. I cleared the fault once and it didn’t come back for about 1k miles.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

You need more information before replacing the airbag control unit, it may have just lost its connection to the system.  You would be better off having the car scanned with a PIWIS to see if it is a coding issue or a real device problem.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:42 PM, obin robinson said:

I pulled the seat belt out several times and let it reel back in. It rolls back up correctly. The code keeps popping up. Can I just take that trim off and check the wiring? I don't want to set the airbag off.

OP, have you tried replacing the tensioner? I had this exact problem. Tried everything. Bit the bullet and replaced the seat belt tensioner. Problem solved. 

• 5 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, b3freak said:

OP, have you tried replacing the tensioner? I had this exact problem. Tried everything. Bit the bullet and replaced the seat belt tensioner. Problem solved. 

Not yet. I've been busy with other projects. How tough was it to replace the tensioner? Where did you get the parts from.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:25 AM, obin robinson said:

Not yet. I've been busy with other projects. How tough was it to replace the tensioner? Where did you get the parts from.

To clarify, I meant the seat belt receptacle. It's pretty much plug and play. Remove the negative terminal on the battery. Remove the seat in question. Unbolt and unplug the old seat belt receptacle. Install new part and plug it up. Reinstall the seat and connect battery. Reset the airbag code with a scanner. Start the car to test.

2 hours ago, b3freak said:

To clarify, I meant the seat belt receptacle. It's pretty much plug and play. Remove the negative terminal on the battery. Remove the seat in question. Unbolt and unplug the old seat belt receptacle. Install new part and plug it up. Reinstall the seat and connect battery. Reset the airbag code with a scanner. Start the car to test.

Oh so it's not the tensioner but just the belt receptacle that fixed it in your car? Part # 99680318309? That's a much easier fix! I'll order the parts tonight thank you!

Forget it.  Use the friendly search engine.  Lots of stuff on this. Is this mostly a random unknown cause Issue?  Bottom line , imho, is to get a Durametric and a nice laptop to take on road trips.  When you get a random airbag light just clear it.  If light does not clear, or immediately returns, then check it all out as you mentioned.  I’m sure I read somewhere on the forum that the seatbelt light issue is a known quantity.  Good luck. 

• 8 months later...

Okay I'm revisiting this error because it is driving me nuts. I am also a little confused as to what I am looking at. Here is what I have done:

1) Replaced the airbag control module part # 996.621.219.02 with another module. Reset using Durametric. The error still pops up.

2) Replaced the driver's side seat belt receptacle part # 996.803.183.10. Reset using Durametric. The error still pops up.

3) Cleaned the grounds thoroughly and put Stabilant 22 on the electrical contacts under the seat that go into the seat belt receptacle electrical connectors. Reset using Durametric. The error still pops up.

I am now convinced that it is the Belt Tensioner as originally specified. I have tried looking for troubleshooting directions on how to figure if this is indeed where the fault lies. I have heard that there is a trick using a 2.7 ohm resistor but I am not sure where to hook the resistor up to. How do I remove the belt tensioner and if I just replace it with a new one? Before I throw another $325 bucks at this problem to buy part # 997.803.033.05.A23 I want to make sure that this will fix it.

Thanks again!

Belt Error 20-oct-20.JPG

I didn't check the wiring inside the steering wheel. I am thinking about taking out the tensioner and sending it in to be rebuilt. These guys guarantee that they can reset modules and fix the tensioners as well. I think it's worth a shot.

WWW.EBAY.COM

safetyrestore has been an eBay member since Aug-06-16 and has 99.6% positive feedback. Check out safetyrestore's full profile.

Update: I replaced the belt tensioner on the driver's side with the most updated version and the error is still there. I have reset the fault code countless times using Durametric. What wires should I check in the steering wheel? I am now wondering where the bad connection could be? What wires specifically should I test? I have plenty of electronic test gear and I have the Bentley manual. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again for all your help.