Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant All Gone (Ripped Hose) Need Some Guidance

Hi Everyone,

So I got a 2004 Cayenne TT and got a call from the wife last night that the red "low coolant" level was on the dash when she started it.  I had the car towed back to my house, and got it on the lift this morning.  The coolant tubes have been done (aluminum upgrade) but was worried it might be them again.  After scoping the engine from above It was all dry and I could see the back of the aluminum tubes and didn't see any coolant anywhere.  So after raising it up and going underneath the vehicle I scoped up the back side of the engine and came to what looks like an elbow off the back of the large coolant tube, and at least initially it appears that rubber elbow has a gaping rip in it (see picture).  Sorry the pictures of it aren't the best but my scope is old.  After looking at a diagram of the coolant tube system on the car I've determined that I'm pretty sure this ripped tube is what I have circled in red in the diagram below.  My question is, do I have to remove the intake like to replace the aluminum tubes to get to this, or can it be done with it in place without intake removal?  Thanks for any help!

UPDATE:  Just a quick update, what I thought was a rip in these photos is actually the metal "T" partially slid out of the rubber hose.  I verified it is definitely leaking from there via my borescope and having someone dump a cup of distilled water in the reservoir.  So basically I'm thinking a clamp/fastener gave way and the pressure of the system has allowed the hose to come off the metal "t".  So it is definitely the "t" in that is circled in red in the diagram, question still remains (haven't yet had the time to pull all the engine panels off yet) can I reach it without intake removal.  I'll know shortly just by removing everything just thought someone knowledgeable might know, thanks again.

20000101_045007.jpg.d4f0f4627f25ee5641e0098044dc94c1.jpg

20000101_045024.jpg.b1e5c3b11aa73986a420a5f1bb27310d.jpg

20000101_044921.jpg.7e16380f1d2cdda85118dac9834583ab.jpg

024010525.thumb.jpg.e16a584f02b35229b718b9c807416b6f.jpgz

Edited by cfiiman

• 2 weeks later...

Recently happens to me. Out of nowhere the dash alarm for coolant appears. For me looks like the car lost almost entire coolant within some km.  I try to fix it. For me no way. To tide there . Second , all these tubes there already 10 years old. Next accident is imminent. I let them change all on the backside.  Because I was driving some km with very low coolant, water pump is gone. I ended up with 1200eur. Intake has to be removed

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

The coolant T pipe is known to fail at plastic. Some have replaced with brass T. Failed on both my CTT (04). A cable operated hose clamp plier is a must.

If replacing, I suggest to also replace starter and coolant vent line as they will wear out, you don't want to keep on taking off intake manifold.

Starter can be changed with alum coolant pipes intact. Looks impossible, but it can be done. I wish engineers gave 1mm more clearance. Pelican has good writeup.

Advice: keep battery disconnected until fuel line is reconnected. Fuel pump will prime the line when power restored.