Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front suspension 996 4S with high corrosion

Hello,

Do you know if this is a normal behavior that the front suspension has this level of corrosion with an high risk to break?

I wrote a complaint letter to Porsche but just received a ridicoulous response.

Shell we wait for a fatal accident before a manufacturer take its responsibilities in terms of road safety?

Looks like similar situation as the issue with the floor mat retainer. I had to pay to resolve the issue where this should be a manufacturer responsibility to recall all affected cars.

Kind Regards,
Liberato

DSC02735.JPG

DSC02736.JPG

DSC02737.JPG

DSC02738.JPG

DSC02739.JPG

IMG_5242.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

IMG_5244.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg

Edited by liberatod

Liberato, I think your expectations are rather high... Porsche can't be responsible for how a 15 year plus car has been maintained.  Are you the original owner, or have you just recently

purchased the car?  Either way I think your observation is correct, replace the shocks.  Looks like a nice car, enjoy it...

What has your Porsche Service Center said in regards to the rust...  No question the rust is extreme, are you sure the shocks are original equipment?  I think you'll have to suck it up and have the shocks replaced at your expense.  There's always associated cost with owning any car, let alone a Porsche. 

Wayne Dempsey's book "101 projects for your Porsche" says you could spend up to $3,000 and 20 hours to replace the shocks, bushing, tie rods, , sway bar and associated hardware.  If you're a DIY hands on it might be a good project.  Dempsey's book would would walk you through the task.

Very weird, but possible if car driven in cold country with rock salt on roads for melting ice.  Where are you located?  Ever hose off underneath chassis and up into suspension?  That said, not sure if water from garden hose would even get up in there.  High pressure hose with car up on rack maybe.  Good luck with all this...better stay off the track until replacement accomplished.  

Porsche said that the rust is depending on the car usage so there is nothing to do with the material, conception and/or the manufacturing.

I was very surprised as it looks like that is always the owner's fault ... for a car that has done all services at Porsche center.

Take note that the shocks are original equipment and the area were I leave (Switzerland) is cold during winter season and sometime it snowing maybe a couple of times per year, however I clean the car every time after the winter season.

Hmmm... Manufacturers are not responsible for maintaining your car - period. These are maintenance issues regardless of whether you claim "the car has been maintained PERFECTLY" (ooo, why does that sound familiar?). Unless you're able to show that a majority of 2xxx Porsche C4S are having the same/similar corrosion problems (i.e. it's a manufacturers defect or a materials defect) there will be no re-call. In fact, there are probably fewer recalls than there should be, even of "real" issues. While the things you show are certainly annoying (and in the case of the strut - potentially dangerous) I think your chances of getting Porsche to help you out are slim to none. No go replace those struts and enjoy driving your car! 👍