Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Found fine black powder in oil filter medium

Changed my oil today. 2005 C2S with about 80000 miles. Been using DT40 for a few years. About 3300 miles (1.5 years; car was laid up about a year) on this oil change. Opened the oil filter case to inspect the oil filter medium. Saw a lot of fine black (oil soaked, of course) powder in the creases of the filter medium.  Non-ferrous (wouldn't stick to magnet, other than due to oil acting as "adhesive"). More than I've seen in the past. I've attached two pics here.

What do you think? Source? Cause for alarm? Needs immediate diagnosis/correction?

IMG_20200207_173439_2.jpg

IMG_20200207_173430_2.jpg

I used a wash bottle with lacquer thinner and washed about 1/2 the medium's debris into a clean glass container. Decanted it once. Washed it again. Decanted it. Let the solvent evaporate a little bit and scooped a couple of screwdriver tip's worth onto a clean paper towel. It was still a little wet as you can see by the staining on the paper towel. Picture is attached. The clumps are easily pulverized. The color is brown-reddish-brown.

PS: I think I'll get the Durametric out and measure the cam (angle) deviations...

CameraZOOM-20200208135750139_2.jpg

If it is, is it more troubling if it seemingly cropped up over the span of a single oil change interval? Am I on a "deadline" now?

Are the chain ramp replacements considered a DIY job without removing the engine? Special tools needed? Other considerations?

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, jchapura said:

If it is, is it more troubling if it seemingly cropped up over the span of a single oil change interval? Am I on a "deadline" now?

Are the chain ramp replacements considered a DIY job without removing the engine? Special tools needed? Other considerations?

Start by checking your cam deviation values, that will tell you how bad they are (the value limits are +/- 6 degrees).  The ramps can be DIY, but they will require special tooling and an understanding of how the cam timing system works.  It is also much easier an quicker with the engine out, but can be done with it in.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my oil tested and nothing remarkable seen there. Coincidentally, a fellow Rennlister had an issue similar to mine but on a BMW. The current working theory is that it was carbon that had been broken loose because of the fuel system cleaners we'd both used prior to the oil change.

RENNLIST.COM

997 Forum - Found fine black powder in oil filter medium - Changed my oil today. 2005 C2S with about 80000 miles. Been using DT40 for a few years. About 3300 miles (1.5 years; car was laid up about a year) on this oil change. Opened the oil filter case to inspect the oil filter medium. Saw a lot of fine...

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jchapura said:

I had my oil tested and nothing remarkable seen there. Coincidentally, a fellow Rennlister had an issue similar to mine but on a BMW. The current working theory is that it was carbon that had been broken loose because of the fuel system cleaners we'd both used prior to the oil change.

RENNLIST.COM

997 Forum - Found fine black powder in oil filter medium - Changed my oil today. 2005 C2S with about 80000 miles. Been using DT40 for a few years. About 3300 miles (1.5 years; car was laid up about a year) on this oil change. Opened the oil filter case to inspect the oil filter medium. Saw a lot of fine...

If that is carbon build up, it is the worst case I’ve ever seen.  We have used Techron for years in all types of engines and have never seen anything even close to that...........

Do you think a lab could distinguish between the chain guide ramp material and Techroned-off "carbon deposit" material?

If it were Techroned-off carbon deposits, would you be more concerned with allowing the carbon to build by not Techron-ing versus getting the slug of carbon every oil change?

FWIW, I use a Top Tier gasoline at least 80% of the time...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jchapura said:

Do you think a lab could distinguish between the chain guide ramp material and Techroned-off "carbon deposit" material?

If it were Techroned-off carbon deposits, would you be more concerned with allowing the carbon to build by not Techron-ing versus getting the slug of carbon every oil change?

FWIW, I use a Top Tier gasoline at least 80% of the time...

I remain unconvinced that the debris in the filter is the result of running Techron.  We have seen the oil turn dark on poorly maintained cars when Techron was used, but have never seen solid particles in the filter.

As for the lab results, I have never used that lab, so I have no idea about them finding it or not.

• 1 month later...

when cars do a lot of short journeys or never get to warm up completely, condensation mixes with the oil and forms an emulsion, this then gets cooked when the car does a longer journey and gets really warm. Only an opinion but used to see this a lot inside rocker covers and pollution control systems.