Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing allen bolts from rear wing

To fit into the new carbon wing from Eric at Bumperplugs, I need to get the old bolts out of the old Turbo rear wing. They are hex (allen) bolts that appear to screw in.

Anyone know the size tool I need to get them out or any other suggestions. It is bigger than a 12mm Allen key

Which item number?

Hi Loren. It is from the stock 996 Turbo rear wing. That diagram looks like the aerokit.

The pieces I apparently need to remove are in the bottom of part 1 and attach to the mounts at the top of pt 2 in the diagram. I have a 14mm allen socket (as required) and am struggling to remove them.

Most spoiler bolts are held in place by Loctite thread locker - so they will snap when they break free. If you are putting the screws back in a new spoiler then be sure and put Loctite on the thread so they don't vibrate loose.

It is done. Loctite and them some. Massive torque needed to shift them!! I have applied plenty of loctite to the new spoiler. Nice big and carbon!! mmm

I think those 'allen' bolts are actually torx head. Porsche usually uses a 20 or 30 tx back there. A  allen may strip the head, esp if it's been loctited.

No they are 14mm allen! It just takes some torque to release them (as Lauren said). Use the blue loctite in case you need to switch again.

• 1 year later...
I would like to buy a set of the bolts that loctite into the spoiler and fit to the rams. Anyone know where I can get these?

I've tried OPC in Australia, all the breakers, aftermarket wing suppliers and general hardware stores and no-one seems to be able to supply these. Someone somewhere must know who stocks / makes them?

(I can't reuse the screws from the original spoiler as I need to be able to interchange spoilers reasonably frequently without ripping the threads and spoiler to pieces because of the loctite.)

I've tried OPC in Australia, all the breakers, aftermarket wing suppliers and general hardware stores and no-one seems to be able to supply these. Someone somewhere must know who stocks / makes them?

(I can't reuse the screws from the original spoiler as I need to be able to interchange spoilers reasonably frequently without ripping the threads and spoiler to pieces because of the loctite.)

First why are you going back and forth? My only suggestion is to get them custom machined at a machine shop. I don't know any where to get them.

First why are you going back and forth? My only suggestion is to get them custom machined at a machine shop. I don't know any where to get them.

I don't want to leave the GT2 wing on for day to day driving, I just want to fit it for track days maybe once every 6 - 8 weeks. I'll hunt around for some machine shops, but it seems odd that no-one supplies readily these.

• 2 months later...

I don't want to leave the GT2 wing on for day to day driving, I just want to fit it for track days maybe once every 6 - 8 weeks. I'll hunt around for some machine shops, but it seems odd that no-one supplies readily these.

Did you ever find a supplier for the stock inserts???