Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Purchased a used hardtop for my 03 cab and put it on the car last weekend after getting it painted to match. The top groans from the rear when I drive over rough roads, also, on one side in the rear, I can slide my pinky between the top and the car. I'm wondering if it is fitted properly. How tight should this thing fit?

If you can put your fingers under one corner it may be just the fact that the pin has not latched properly. I had some trouble the first time I tried it. If it really locks in place, it should be tight.

Thanks Don, that's what I was concerned about. I'm sure there is nothing more exciting than seeing your hardtop in your rear view mirror as it flies off the back of your car at 80 mph.

Loren, I would appreciate the TSB. Since the hardtop didn't come with the car, I'm guessing that the dealer is going to push back on fixing it. This is the same dealer that wanted to charge me 5 hours to install a self-dimming rear view mirrow. Either way, I'd like to know the issues for my "negotiations" with the dealer

thanks..

A

hi! I just joined this forum and it's great catching up. I also have just recently purchased a used hardtop and would like a copy of that TSB. Just want to make sure that at least the simple things have been looked at since there is definitely some noise. Of course, it is a hardtop...

Thanks.

Carlo

• Admin
hi! I just joined this forum and it's great catching up.  I also have just recently purchased a used hardtop and would like a copy of that TSB.  Just want to make sure that at least the simple things have been looked at since there is definitely some noise.  Of course, it is a hardtop...

Thanks.

Carlo

:welcome:

You've got mail...

• 11 months later...
Hi Loren

I have just fitted my roof for the winter and jhave a slight noise, could you please mail me the - 14 page TSB with fixes for a number of hardtop noises.

Many thanks.

Colin  :)

Colin,

You've got mail...

Hi Loren,

IIn casesthat this TSB is for a boxster I would like a copy too.

Many thanks,

Jeroen de Jong

• Admin
Could anybody please also post the 14 page document on the hardtop problem to me ?

I have got a 2001 996 and the hardtop rattling is just driving me crazy. :-(

Thank you very much in advance!

My email: Dr.Cameron@email.de

Contributing Members can view this document (and others) online...

Since I like this forum here very much I would like to contribute.

Please tell me how and which amount you would like me to contribute.

I am a Paypal user.

Best regards,

G. Cameron

quote=Loren,Oct 21 2004, 11:51 PM]

Could anybody please also post the 14 page document on the hardtop problem to me ?

I have got a 2001 996 and the hardtop rattling is just driving me crazy. :-(

Thank you very much in advance!

My email: Dr.Cameron@email.de

Contributing Members can view this document (and others) online...

I haven't read the TSB thoroughly, but I found I was missing a washer on one of the male fittings...and that caused a rattle. Replaced it and everything is fine with mine. It is important to have someone lean on the top of the rear that you are latching. It snaps into place quite snugly. I do not have a rattle, squeak or anything with mine.

standard.jpg

• 3 years later...
There is a 14 page TSB with fixes for a number of hardtop noises. I can email you this if you want or you could make your dealer fix it (since you are under warranty).

Hi Loren. Any chance of sending this through? Thanks and Merry Xmas.

Just go here and search for hardtop and I believe you'll find what you are looking for.

There is a 14 page TSB with fixes for a number of hardtop noises. I can email you this if you want or you could make your dealer fix it (since you are under warranty).

Hi Loren. Any chance of sending this through? Thanks and Merry Xmas.

Just go here and search for hardtop and I believe you'll find what you are looking for.

Thanks ;)

• 2 months later...

Loren...could you please send me this TSB?

Thanks

• Admin

Loren...could you please send me this TSB?

Thanks

You are a Contributing Member and can view that TSB here online.

You want TSB 7/01 6102 Noises in the Hardtop -- dated Mar 22, 2002.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...load&id=116

• 8 months later...

Over the weekend I put the hardtop back on. Is it common for there to be this much distance between the plastic pieces in the rear (please see pics)? They're not flush. However, the round, plastic "stops" on the hardtop (behind the rear fasteners) are making contact with the car (although you cannot see that in this photo).

post-34919-1226978117_thumb.jpg