Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

traffic pro (high speed 7820) help!

I couldn't turn down an offer to get the above at half price. I thought it would be easy to swap out for my CDR 220 as the connections at the back of the unit are the same.

So I swapped the 2 units and the new traffic pro seemed to work fine apart from the fact I could not get any sound out of my speakers. The Porsche CD changer changes the CDs, the unit switches on and off and the radio seems to work all without any sound.

I have the uprated porsche 10 speaker system with OEM amplifier in my C2 1999 996.

When I put the old CDR 220 back in there is no problem with sound. What is the problem with the traffic pro? I'm getting really frustrated with the whole thing now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-I didn't have much luck on the Becker Board.

• Moderators

You just posted your message on the Becker board so it will take a while for Horst to respond.

I have seen the same complaint on the UK and German Boxster boards but do not know if you have the same problem. With the HiFi option you have to swap a wire. The wire in the C yellow connector slot #6 goes to the A black connector slot #5. Apparently this is the trigger wire to the amp and you does not get sound until you swap the wire.

This is a guess but try it and let us know if it works. Jeff

Thanks guys. I will hang in on the Becker board a bit longer.

I have been talking to my audio retailer (sold me the unit but live 100s of mile away!) about this. My amp isn't powering up although everything else is. To remedy I have to get an ISO adapter for a standard head unit with active speakers. I have this already (pic) but it involves soldering the fly lead onto the lead marked "control output for automatic antenna" labelled 5 in socket A. This will provide a 12 volt supply to the amp. I feel quite nervous about this-will be an irreversible step.

I think that Lorens TSB may help. Please e-mail me this to netrophile@aol.com

Do you think I should do this soldering Jeff? Predictably my dealer knows nothing about this dilemma. I dont know if swapping leads will help. The wiring diagrams for the CDR220 and traffic pro high speed are exactly the same. Besides what do I do with the wire in slot 5 when I put the new one in?

One thing anyway-I am really learning a lot!

post-2-1066928112.jpg

• Moderators

Check out this link. I have the Traffic Pro instructions and there is no mention of a wire swap if you have the HiFi option - but there is a good wiring diagram and maybe that will help solve the problem. You may want to contact jonhale as his instructions imply you may end up with 2 wires in slot 5. If you read German there was info on this same subject back in June in the German board.

http://forum.boxa.net/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=traffic+pro

Jeff.

It works!! :clapping: The wires need swapping as you say with 2 inputs to slot A. This socket is for the windscreen aerial as well as a 12volt supply for the amp. My audio dealer tried it on his car last night and it powered everything up! To help others, the wire C6 is black and red-the wire A5 is white.

Rather than cut wires I thought I would try and connect my ISO adapter to A5 after stripping the white jacket back a little. It should avoid cutting C6 and thus making it easier to put the stock cd player back in when I sell my car.

Jeff, do I need to solder the wires together or is it OK to just twist them together tightly and cover with insulating tape?

I want to avoid doing something permanent if possible, unless I really need to.

Many thanks as always

• Moderators

Lucky I remembered reading about no sound from a Traffic Pro on the German and UK Boxster boards. There is nothing about this in the Traffic Pro TSB installation instructions so when I saw the messages I was wondering why they were talking about moving a wire in order to get sound. If you can take some pictures of what needs to be done that would be great as I see many people who are interested in Traffic Pro.

I have never understood electrical stuff so I almost always have to get help on that subject. Do not know what is an ISO adapter - is that a part that comes with the Traffic Pro? The wires are small and do not carry much juice so if you get a good electrical connection by twisting then just use tape. Plus you will not have any strain on the wires that would pull them apart. Jeff

P.S. How much was the deal on the Traffic Pro and where did you get it.

Hi Jeff.

I have finished the traffic pro install and took photos which I will post in the relevant section. I didn't cut any wires.

My horn beeps once when I switch on the alarm so I think the metal springs on the side of the unit need adjusting-will do these later in the week.

I live in the UK so I don't know if its much help to you guys to say where I got the traffic pro (high speed 16MB) from. It costs about $2240 in the shops, but I got a deal where I only paid half this amount. All above board and paid for using Uncle Mastercard. If anyone wants one, I will let you know the contact details of the audio dealer if you e-mail me. I guess its still a good deal even with postage to the USA although you will have to be careful how you declare to customs.

I have a similar issue with the alarm on my Boxster S. Are there things on the side of the TrafficPro to bend out? I don't recall seeing them, I thought I needed to bend out the contact on the left side of the unit back inside the dash.

If you solve the alarm issue, please post what you did.

thanks.

-gbeck

• Moderators

There is an alarm contact where the radio slides in. On the standard radio the metal body has a small plastic sticker. The alarm contact rests on the sticker. But if you were to slide the radio out while the alarm was on the alarm contact would contact the metal body of the radio and the alarm would go off. Does the Traffic Pro have this sticker?

Aftermarket radios do not have this sticker and that is why you hear a beep when setting the alarm - the alarm contact is touching the metal body. The fix is to pull the wire off the alarm contact and cover it with tape. Or, put some type of thin insulation on the body where it comes into contact with the alarm contact.

The Traffic Pro install instructions are little help. It simply says "clip alarm contact (996 645 106 00) onto the left side of the center nozzle holder and push flat connector of the radio frame on the alarm contact."

A little strip of packing tape on the side fixed this!

Thanks! The Porsche CDr-220 does have sticker on the side with model # and serial #, never thought it also functioned as an insulator.

No on to why the airbag light stays on...

thanks again.

-gbeck

A little strip of packing tape on the side fixed this!

Thanks!  The Porsche CDr-220 does have sticker on the side with model # and serial #, never thought it also functioned as an insulator.

No on to why the airbag light stays on...

thanks again.

-gbeck

Yes.

I just did the same today completely independantly!

No more beep :lol:

As long as we're on the subject of Traffic Pros, I have a question. I had the car transported from the Cape to Florida. Everthing works fine including the radio/cds, etc. However the Nav System doesn't work in the sense that it will not accept any entries. It's the same CD 'cause it's on the east coast. I've re-inserted the proper cd, but to no avail. Has anyone had this experience using it from a different location 1500 miles away????? :(

Perhaps it was the solar flare that hit the eath's atmosphere yesterday. It was expected to effect GPS based systems big time. Have you tried it again today?

Or maybe it needs to be recalibrated as you do with a new install, since it's last position in memory is 1500 miles away from where it is now and it has no idea how it got there.

Karl

Edited by KarlS

• 8 months later...

BTW, (new member here) I just wanted to add that the original TrafficPro is being closed out at Harmon/Kardon (Becker US) and Crutchfield for $499. The amber is a dead on match for the Porsche lighting.

Also, there has been some difficultly mentioned here and elsewhere regarding how to route the cable to the GPS antenna. The favorte location for mounting is under the cover of the alarm light on the dash. The antenna base can be cut down to fit under the cover. If you pull the drivers side defroster up (per instructions elsewhere on renntech), there is a nickle sized hole in a frame rail directly behind the instrument cluster (at least on a 986, I expect a 996 is the same). If you push the antenna cable thru there it will come out around the map pocket area of the dash. It can then easily be routed to the radio hole.

Regards,

Jared

Welcome to RENNTECH, Jared. With my TP, I got a tip for installing the antenna wire. Tape it to a stiff soda straw and it pushes thru quite easily. :)

Thanks for the welcome. This seems like a great board... high signal to noise. Lot's of info.

Yes, I read about your soda straw tip and I tried that approach. Unfortunately I couldn't find a point where I was comfortable pushing it thru the seam of the defroster. Sitting in the drivers seat, I couldn't see what I was doing as I was having to feel for the seams and work blindly. I started pulling more of the panel up, and that's when I saw the MOAH... mother of all holes.

:notworthy:

Regards,

Jared