Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic Transmission Service

I found that the communications issue with my Tip was a software compatibility issue with Durametic 6 s/w. I reloaded the Durametic 5 s/w and it is now displaying the correct temp and no fault codes, however it is still slipping. Should I replace the ZF Safeguard 5 with Pentosin ATF-1 or is it too late?

• Moderators

Porsche is pretty specific on what lubricants are supposed to be used exclusively in the Tiptronic and manual gear boxes, regardless of what you read on the internet; straying from the recommendations typically leads to some serious issues.

post-18-0-41997700-1367072585_thumb.png

I would start by dumping, and flushing the system (remember, the converter holds a large part of the fluid and does not drain munch by gravity) to get as much of the old fluid out as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped the pan and replaced the filter and fluid with Pentosin ATF-1 but it still slips going into 4th gear. The fluid that came out looks thick and has some metallic flakes but very little. I have the fluid to do a 2nd flush but not sure it will do any good? I found a used 2005 tiptronic out of a non-s Boxsters for $2,500 and if it is compatible with my 2000 Boxsters (non-S) I may just change it out.

• Moderators

I dropped the pan and replaced the filter and fluid with Pentosin ATF-1 but it still slips going into 4th gear. The fluid that came out looks thick and has some metallic flakes but very little. I have the fluid to do a 2nd flush but not sure it will do any good? I found a used 2005 tiptronic out of a non-s Boxsters for $2,500 and if it is compatible with my 2000 Boxsters (non-S) I may just change it out.

We did you refill with the Pentosin ATF-1? To my knowledge, the OEM fluid is still an ESSO product ( ATF LT 71141 fluid) and is the only one approved for 1999-2001 Tip transmissions. There are a lot of aftermarket companies claiming to have compatible fluids, but Porsche has remained very specific on both manufacturer's (Esso, Fuchs and Shell) and fluid types for these gearboxes.

We did you refill with the Pentosin ATF-1? To my knowledge, the OEM fluid is still an ESSO product ( ATF LT 71141 fluid) and is the only one approved for 1999-2001 Tip transmissions. There are a lot of aftermarket companies claiming to have compatible fluids, but Porsche has remained very specific on both manufacturer's (Esso, Fuchs and Shell) and fluid types for these gearboxes.
This was from your post above "You need to be careful about two things: First, the Tip does not like the wrong type of fluid. Specs say that the car should use OEM 999-917-545-00, Esso LT 71141, or Pentosin ATF-1." Should I order the LT71141 and try a 3rd flush? I think 75% of my problem is trying to pin point root cause. Does anyone know of a good rebuilder in the Southeast I can take the transmission or buy a rebuilt if needed? Thanks

• Moderators

This was from your post above "You need to be careful about two things: First, the Tip does not like the wrong type of fluid. Specs say that the car should use OEM 999-917-545-00, Esso LT 71141, or Pentosin ATF-1." Should I order the LT71141 and try a 3rd flush? I think 75% of my problem is trying to pin point root cause. Does anyone know of a good rebuilder in the Southeast I can take the transmission or buy a rebuilt if needed? Thanks

It is my understanding that the Esso product has a slightly different coefficient of friction than the ATF-1, which is why it was the original (an only) choice back in 2000-2001. If the trans does not respond to using it, then the problem is deep seated enough that the gear box has to come apart.

The 5HP19 tiptronic in my 2000 Boxster was working fine until I did a fluid change and then it started slipping 400 miles after the change. It works fine manually up to 3rd gear and slips going into 4th. I checked the fluid level at the 30c and it was less than 1/2 quarts low. I topped in off and it still slips. I used ZF Safeguard 5 and a filter kit I purchase from Pelican. I did a double flush on the fluid. Should I try changing back to ATF LT71141? Also, I connected my Durmatic up and I am getting a communications failure to the tip, however I am able to communicate with the engine and see no fault code.

I ran the new fluid that I just drained out thru a coffee filter and noticed a small amount of clutch contamination and something that looked like latex, more like a thin flake of paint than anything else, but very little metal in the fluid. The fluid has no odder like burnt TF but is much blacker than I would think it should be for a double flush service. The original fluid was black with no odder as well but it had been in there for 135,000 miles.

• Moderators

There will always be a small amount of clutch debris and or metallic flakes in the oil, particularly after that many miles. The "blackness" description concerns me however as any darkness in the oil color should diminish to clearer as the fluid is changed. It sounds like this gearbox is filthy inside, which is not good as dirt is the enemy of the seals on just about everything in the hydraulic system.

It is my understanding that the Esso product has a slightly different coefficient of friction than the ATF-1, which is why it was the original (an only) choice back in 2000-2001. If the trans does not respond to using it, then the problem is deep seated enough that the gear box has to come apart.

According to ZF their ZF Lifeguard 5, which is what I used, is approved for 5hp19 transmissions including the Porsche tip.
4HP20,
5HP19, 5HP19FL (1), 5HP19FLA (2),
5HP19HL (1), 5HP19HLA (2),
5HP24, 5HP24A (2)
According to spare part number of vehicle manufacturer:
ZF Lifeguardfluid5 (ZF No. S671 090 170)
=> Audi / VW Oil No. G 052162 A1 / A2 / A6
=> BMW Oil No. 8322 9407807
=> Citroen Oil No. Z 000169756
=> Jaguar Oil No. JLM 20238
=> Mercedes Benz Oil No. A 0019892203
=> Peugeot Oil No. Z 000169756
=> Porsche Oil No. 999.917.547.00

The 5HP19 tiptronic in my 2000 Boxster was working fine until I did a fluid change and then it started slipping 400 miles after the change. It works fine manually up to 3rd gear and slips going into 4th. I checked the fluid level at the 30c and it was less than 1/2 quarts low. I topped in off and it still slips. I used ZF Safeguard 5 and a filter kit I purchase from Pelican. I did a double flush on the fluid. Should I try changing back to ATF LT71141? Also, I connected my Durmatic up and I am getting a communications failure to the tip, however I am able to communicate with the engine and see no fault code.

I ran the new fluid that I just drained out thru a coffee filter and noticed a small amount of clutch contamination and something that looked like latex, more like a thin flake of paint than anything else, but very little metal in the fluid. The fluid has no odder like burnt TF but is much blacker than I would think it should be for a double flush service. The original fluid was black with no odder as well but it had been in there for 135,000 miles.

Could this "latex" looking material be Teflon? Is there a Teflon bearing in the 5hp19 and if so it maybe coming apart?

• Moderators

Could this "latex" looking material be Teflon? Is there a Teflon bearing in the 5hp19 and if so it maybe coming apart?

I really don't have a break down of what materials are used in the Tip, but there are a lot of different types of seal materials involved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Pulling the Tiptronic out of the Boxster today to ship off and have it rebuilt and it is ready to drop except the the selector cable does not want to detach from the linkage at the tip. It pulls off around the cable eyelet correct?

Should pop off; sometimes it needs some encouragement with a trim tool that is shaped like a "Y".

• 2 months later...

Could someone tell me if i can still check the tiptronic fluid level while the car is in the "reduced driving program" (4 and D are flashing) by removing the plug at the bottom of the pan and seeing if the fluid begins to drip out? I noticed in the repair manual it says the car must not be in the reduced driving program, how am I supposed to check the fluid level then?

• Moderators

Could someone tell me if i can still check the tiptronic fluid level while the car is in the "reduced driving program" (4 and D are flashing) by removing the plug at the bottom of the pan and seeing if the fluid begins to drip out? I noticed in the repair manual it says the car must not be in the reduced driving program, how am I supposed to check the fluid level then?

When the car is in that mode, the hydraulic system is rerouted, which can change the fluid level. You need to fix the reason for the fault, clear the fault, and then run the fluid level check according to the manual.

• 3 months later...

Hi to All,

Very well written DIY Tiptronic fluid change instructions. Just wanted to canvas members as to ok ATF fluids for replacement. I have read that Porsche recommends Fuchs Titan ATF 3353 but have also read a couple online comments as to people thinking Fuchs to be garbage. I have used Amsoil products for sometime on other vehicles and have had very good results. I recently became a 1st time Porsche owner (2002 996 Carrera) and would like some feedback on ATF's, thinking of using Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic ATF which Amsoil recommends for this Model year Tiptronic. My car was purchased with 67K miles on it and no paper work that indicates fluid has ever been serviced. I would assume if I were to do a "tranny flush" this procedure would be performed twice?

• Moderators

Hi to All,

Very well written DIY Tiptronic fluid change instructions. Just wanted to canvas members as to ok ATF fluids for replacement. I have read that Porsche recommends Fuchs Titan ATF 3353 but have also read a couple online comments as to people thinking Fuchs to be garbage. I have used Amsoil products for sometime on other vehicles and have had very good results. I recently became a 1st time Porsche owner (2002 996 Carrera) and would like some feedback on ATF's, thinking of using Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic ATF which Amsoil recommends for this Model year Tiptronic. My car was purchased with 67K miles on it and no paper work that indicates fluid has ever been serviced. I would assume if I were to do a "tranny flush" this procedure would be performed twice?

Yes, draining, a new filter, and fresh fluid would be in order; no, I would not use the Amsoil product as it is not approved for use in this transmission. Go with Porsche spec fluids only, these gearboxes are picky about fluids.

• Upvote 1

When performing a Tiptronic fluid/filter change out is there any way to get the other 4 liters or so out of the torque converter? From what I understand it only allows a little over 4 liters out of the whole equation by draining and dropping the pan correct? I used to take one of my previous Toyota trucks to the shop where they were able to power flush the whole tranny/torque converter and see when clean fluid would appear, kind of like bleeding brakes. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree!

So correct me if I am wrong but a tranny flush on the 996 Tiptronic consists of doing the whole event twice (drain old fluid pull pan/filter, clean and new filter, reinstall, refill, bring up to temp, shift into R-N-D for 10 sec each and the perform the whole event one more time by just draining the fluid on round 2 to finish the flush, of course refill, bring up to temp, top off, go through the gears, etc.)

Just want to get it crystal clear, not trying to beat a dead horse of sorts.

• Moderators

When performing a Tiptronic fluid/filter change out is there any way to get the other 4 liters or so out of the torque converter? From what I understand it only allows a little over 4 liters out of the whole equation by draining and dropping the pan correct? I used to take one of my previous Toyota trucks to the shop where they were able to power flush the whole tranny/torque converter and see when clean fluid would appear, kind of like bleeding brakes. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree!

So correct me if I am wrong but a tranny flush on the 996 Tiptronic consists of doing the whole event twice (drain old fluid pull pan/filter, clean and new filter, reinstall, refill, bring up to temp, shift into R-N-D for 10 sec each and the perform the whole event one more time by just draining the fluid on round 2 to finish the flush, of course refill, bring up to temp, top off, go through the gears, etc.)

Just want to get it crystal clear, not trying to beat a dead horse of sorts.

Because the Tip uses an oil to water cooler mounted on the side of the gearbox instead of running trans fluid lines all the way to the radiators, there is literally no way to use a power flushing system on them. So you are limited to draining 3-4 liters out when you drain the pan and swap out the filter. Doing multiple refills and dumps will help clean out a trans that has not been serviced properly for some time. Once you have got the system cleaned out, a better regimen would be to do at least an annual trans fluid dump (changing the filter every other year), so that you are constantly replenishing at least some of the fluid and removing some of the collected crud. We do this for several customers every season when he cars are being prepped for winter hibernation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you very much for your expertise and insight on this topic and my question specifically. I have appreciated the great help that I have received in the last several weeks from members on the site. As a Porsche newbie I air on the side of caution before proceeding with servicing tasks as my preowned 996 is going to get brought up to snuff hopefully by alls help with my sometimes ignorant questions.

Regards,

Brad

• Moderators

Thank you very much for your expertise and insight on this topic and my question specifically. I have appreciated the great help that I have received in the last several weeks from members on the site. As a Porsche newbie I air on the side of caution before proceeding with servicing tasks as my preowned 996 is going to get brought up to snuff hopefully by alls help with my sometimes ignorant questions.

Regards,

Brad

There is no such thing as an "ignorant question"; ignorance only occurs when questions are not asked..................

• 3 months later...

I have a problem with a tip that I recently serviced took out 4.1qts us(caught and maesured) and when I try to match what I removed it will not all go back in .. tried driving, manual shifting and rechecking no matter how many times I try I get one quart or so back out through the overflow.. it should take all four qts back correct, could it have been overfilled..??

... found it.. rolled the gasket on the pan at the back overflowing from that point up...

Edited by hashcannon

• Moderators

I have a problem with a tip that I recently serviced took out 4.1qts us(caught and maesured) and when I try to match what I removed it will not all go back in .. tried driving, manual shifting and rechecking no matter how many times I try I get one quart or so back out through the overflow.. it should take all four qts back correct, could it have been overfilled..??

... found it.. rolled the gasket on the pan at the back overflowing from that point up...

It was probably overfilled to begin with. If you now have filled it to the correct level using the factory recommended methods, I would not worry about it.