Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise control

This 'Hack' is great !!! I now have Cruise Control and On Board Computer. :D

I ended up buying the actual plugs that go into the back of the instrument cluster from a scraped loom to get the crimped connectors.

Only bit I would add to this thread it that....make sure your steering wheel is fully extended before taking off the steering wheel!

& my plug was grey not black as detailed on here even thou my car is a 2001 boxster S :rolleyes:

Cheers to the guys who put this thread together !! :renntech:

• 2 months later...
  • Admin
Great thread !

I have a 996 C2 from 2000 with E-gas

Do I half to run wires to the DME ?

Can anyone help me with a description?

Which ones in that case? (To which pins in the DME connector)

//PP

:welcome:

No, in a MY2000 the cruise control is setup in the instrument cluster only.

Great thread !

I have a 996 C2 from 2000 with E-gas

Do I half to run wires to the DME ?

Can anyone help me with a description?

Which ones in that case? (To which pins in the DME connector)

//PP

:welcome:

No, in a MY2000 the cruise control is setup in the instrument cluster only.

Sounds lovely!

Can anyone provide a little guide for this?

Thanks alot man!

//PP

For a 2000 996 cruise retrofit you have to make the following connections:

Instrument cluster Plug 1 (blue) pin 16 –to- DME 40-pin connector pin D18

Stalk connector Pin 2 –to- fuse B7 (top connection of fuse)

Stalk connector Pin 1 –to- DME 40-pin connector pin D27

Stalk connector Pin 3 –to- DME 40-pin connector pin D25

Stalk connector Pin 4 –to- DME 40-pin connector pin D19

Use VW 000.979.010 wires for the connections to the DME ***(see edit) and Instrument cluster plugs

Use VW 000.979.009 wires for the connections to the stalk plug

You then have to code the DME only for ‘with cruise control’

Edit: *** On checking this, I am not 100% sure that the 010 wires are used for the DME connections. It would be best to check if the 009 or 010 is correct before making the final connections.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

For a 2000 996 cruise retrofit you have to make the following connections:

Instrument cluster Plug 1 (blue) pin 16 –to- DME 40-pin connector pin D18

Stalk connector Pin 2 –to- fuse B7 (top connection of fuse)

Stalk connector Pin 1 –to- DME 40-pin connector pin D27

Stalk connector Pin 3 –to- DME 40-pin connector pin D25

Stalk connector Pin 4 –to- DME 40-pin connector pin D19

Use VW 000.979.010 wires for the connections to the DME and Instrument cluster plugs

Use VW 000.979.009 wires for the connections to the stalk plug

You then have to code the DME only for ‘with cruise control’

I'm abit novice, DME is the ECU box behind the backseat?

Do I half to run wires to the ECU (DME) there?

Thanks alot guys for the quick and good responses !

Edited by ParkPre

• 5 months later...

There is a lot of information here in this thread! And as the old saying goes... A little information in the wrong hands can be a dangerous thing

After reading the thread it appears that to add cruise and obc on my 2003 I need to purchase is the following:

a. 1 x 997 613 261 00 01C - Cruise Control Switch

b. 1 x 997 622 674 00 - Wiring Harness

c. 2 x N 909 068 01 - Torx Screws

d. 1 x N 910 207 01 - Steering Wheel Screw

e. 1 x 997 552 475 03 A03 - Black Lower Steering Column Housing

It is also my understanding that getting the dual stalk with odc and cruise is actually cheaper or atleast has more of a cost benifit.

I am thinking this would be a nice addition :D . I really don't want to do it myself (At my age, I really don't need the drama of the actual install). Has anyone in the SF Area done this or know of a shop or dealer that has successfully performed this retrofit?

I am checking with a local Porsche dealer to see if they will do it (my car is still cpo for another 1.5 years )

Comments, suggestions or conerns are requested. :)

Those are the parts you would need to do a 987/997 cruise retrofit. If your car is 2003, then you have a 986/996.

So does anyone know what parts are i need for a 2003 boxster. I thought the 2003 and 2004 required fewer/different parts that earlier models < 2002 :huh:

The parts you need for a cruise retrofit on a 2003 or 2004 Boxster or 996 are:

1 x 996.613.219.10.EWC - 4-Lever Stalk Unit

1 x 999.652.972.40 - Connector (for Cruise loom to stalk)

1 x 999.652.973.40 - Connector cap (optional - it helps to polarise the connector, but isn't essential)

4 x VW 000.979.009 - Wires (VW call them Repair Wires)

1 x Scotch-Lok Connector (to connect to wire to fuse B7) - or solder & insulate

1 x length of wire about 1 metre long to extend the VW wire to reach the fuse box. (I use a wire size of 16/0.2 which looks about the same size as the VW wire.)

Sundries such as insulation tape and/or loom tape, some small cable ties, etc.

If the stalk unit you get is second-hand then it probably has the lever caps (with the symbols and writing) on all 4 levers. If it is a new one, they don't always supply the cruise cap. If you need it, the part number is 996.613.505.00.A01 for gloss black, and 996.613.505.10.A05 for matt/satin black. You can use the other caps from your existing stalks.

If you are adding OBC you will also need:

1 x 999.650.513.40 - Connector (for OBC loom to stalk)

4 x VW 000.979.009 - Repair Wires (in addition to those above)

Toolpants, a board moderator, lives in the South Bay region and is the acknowledged expert on all things OBC and Cruise Control. I would "PM" Toolpants for information....and help on the DIY installation. (Richard Hamilton is the "go to" guy in the UK.)

Bill

Edited by whall

• 6 months later...

So, if I've read this all correctly, for a 2001 S I need:

996-613-219-10 EWC

993-552-573-01-01C

999-650-513-40

999-652-972-40

999-652-973-40

999-652-901-22 (9 off)

996-613-505-00A01

996.613.507.00A01

and from VW

000 979 009 (5 off)

000 979 010 (5 off)

Is that right?

Edited by mwbennett

You don't need the contact bushes (999-652-901-22) as if you buy the VW wires, they are already crimped on both ends.

You need 8 of the VW 009 wires, and 3 of the 010. But check the 010 wires are correct for the DME plug, as I noted in my post #130 above. To be 100% sure you get enough to do the job, it would be safer to get 11 x 009 and 3 x 010.

You only usually need the cap for the cruise lever, as for some reason the stalks mostly have the OBC cap on when you get them.

Don't bother about the rubber column trims. You can re-use the ones you have. The holes for the OBC and cruise levers are partially moulded in, so you just have to open them out with a sharp knife.

I'll email you a diagram.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got the parts, and started this afternoon - and had to take an "intermission" at 9PM!

I've got everything taken apart, and the wire runs done....

One thing I couldn't work out (in spite of Navman's advice) was how to get the fuse connector out. I've ended up Scotchlocking the wire to B7 - I feel so dirty! What did I miss?

Thanks Richard, yes I managed that all ok, including getting the row out of the cage, and the white retaining bar out, but I couldn't get the actual crimped terminal out. I would rather have connected directly to that (soldered or something) than scotchloc'd.

I connected to the individual wire, rather than the "common" wire that goes to about 5 terminals on the other side. Logically that made sense to me... but who knows ? :)

• 1 year later...

I've just done the cruise control installation on my 2004 GT3, but I haven't had the reprogramming done yet. The strange thing is that now the horn doesn't work. If I leave the front hood open it beeps, so the horn itself is OK. I can also hear a relay clicking when I press on the steering wheel, so I guess the wiring in the steering wheel is OK . Anyone had this problem?

• Moderators

The horn that you hear belongs to the alarm system, this is not the same as the conventional horns which are operated from the steering wheel. Alarm horn is situated near the battery, conventional horns ( 1x Low - 1x High ) are situated behind the front bumper shell, right side (pass. side for L.H.D. cars)

OK. So the two horns could be broken, or there is no current to the horns even though I hear a relay clicking when pressing on the steering wheel. I find it unlikely that both horns would break at the same time. I'm having the reprogramming done on monday. Maybe that will make it work again.

They, or at least one of them, worked not too long before I put the car in for the winter. But maybe you're right. Maybe they weren't working before I installed the Cruise Control. You have to take front off to get to them, right?