Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need a DIY for brake pads

I believe the time has come to do some brake work on my 97. I bought the car with 65k miles, and have now reached 102k miles. The excessive brake wear light on the dash came on this week, so I've got to at least do the pads. I've been searching the archives for a Do-It-Yourself article for the whole procedure, but have not found it.

Can someone point me to a good vendor for pads? My driving is strictly street, no track. Is there anything special to be done with turning the rotors? What else would you suggest doing?

Thanks!

The following is what I posted on another topic thread. Should give you something to work with.

I just did a full brake job on my MY99 Boxster. I got the pads, rotors and sensors from All German Parts (www.allgermanparts.com). They have package deals offered on eBay. Here is a link to a package for the rears - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Box...itemZ7990787144

The rotor I purchased are canmium plated to prevent rust. The rears were US$270. I think the fronts were US$10 less. I have put about 300 miles on them and think they are great. The rotors look good and the pads haven't made any noise. I haven't really stepped on the brake hard yet. I have wanted to let them breakin a bit and I just haven't had to. They grip plenty well for my daily commuting. I don't autocross.

My Boxster has 45000 miles on it so I decided to replace the spring-clips and caliper bolts as well. I figured this was the first full brake job. I read that you really want to replace the caliper bolts each time as Porsche recommends. I bought the bolt and spring-clip kits from a Porsche dealer (Sunset Imports). The parts sales person said you really want to do it because the bolts are under a lot of pressure and they actually stretch. I placed the old up against the new and found this to be true. Nearly 1/16" on the front.

Sunset Imports has the best pricing for any Porsche dealer I have found. Here is a link to them - www.sunsetimports.com

Out the door I spent under US$700 on the parts and only had to pay for the beer in order to enlist my brothers help with the work. Detailed instructions on how to do it can be found at www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

And a huge THANK YOU to both my brother and Trygve Isaacson at Bombay Digital for his very informative instructions.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

-pvaughan

I believe the time has come to do some brake work on my 97. I bought the car with 65k miles, and have now reached 102k miles. The excessive brake wear light on the dash came on this week, so I've got to at least do the pads. I've been searching the archives for a Do-It-Yourself article for the whole procedure, but have not found it.

Can someone point me to a good vendor for pads? My driving is strictly street, no track. Is there anything special to be done with turning the rotors? What else would you suggest doing?

Thanks!

Here is the definitive Boxster brake DIY:

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

I get all my OEM brake parts from Sunset in Oregon.

--- Tom

Edited by McCullough

Awesome. Thanks everyone.

A follow-up question: It is almost Christmas, so I really don't want to spend all the Christmas money on a brake job or else the wife will not be amused. How much driving would be considered safe in the present condition of the brakes under normal driving conditions. I'm in Austin, so like all Texans I lock my doors, make chili, and don't drive at the slightest chance of frozen water coming from the sky. Can I wait until January?

I'd say it all depends on how worn the pads really are. Most warning systems come on when the pads have reached their wear limit, but that varies. From my experience with all of my cars except my Boxster, I'd say a 20mi commute to work or two won't hurt, but don't expect 100mi out of it. Good luck on the work and let us all know how it went!

Since your brake wear dash light is on I would say do the brakes now. The pads are pretty well worn down by the time the sensor kicks in. Id say you have maybe 20-30 percent of pad left and now you are pressing the sensor into the rotor, which will damage the surface of the rotor. You can get a set of pads for less than $100 an axle. If you want to save some money you can skip the pad retainer kit. As I understand it, most dealers don't replace the spring clip and pin each time. But Porsche recommends that you do.

When I did my rotors and pads I everything but flush the brake lines and overhaul the calipers. I bought my car at 30k and it had 45k when I did the brake work. I decided to go with drilled rotors because I like the look. I did all four because I didn't want to have a mixed set on the car. Since I bought it used, I would now know exactly when the work was done.

It was definitely time for the front pads and rotors. I could have let the rears go for much longer because they simply aren't used that much when you drive. Most of your braking is done on the front end. When the rotors wear they develop a ridge along the perimeter edge. Feel the edge with your finger to determine the wear. Compare the front to the rear. I don't know what the spec is for when to replace them but my dealer wanted to do them at about 1/16". Maybe more. In any case, I would check into it due to the number of miles on it when you bought it and the number of miles on it now. It may be time to do the rotors, too. If you do the rotors replace the caliper bolts. They really do stretch! For OEM part, the best prices are at Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Or try eBay.

Essentially, you own a race car. So most of the info you find will be inclined to getting the top performance out of your vehicle. But since it is used as a commuter vehicle, like mine, you don't need the ceramic brake upgrade or the short shifter or the air intake kit. The important thing is to have a safe vehicle when you are on the road. Do the pads now or you may be spending a lot more to replace the front end of your car and the rear end of someone elses.

Best of luck and safe motoring,

-pvaughan

Hi All,

I'm looking into purchasing front brake pads for my 2002 Boxster N/A. My use is only normal highway driving. I checked www.pelicanparts.com and notice that there are 4 Brands of OEM pad sets. Does anyone have any recommendations?

OEM Front Brake Pad Set, Boxster (1997-04)

Brand: Textar [Photo] 986-351-939-15-M3 $98.25

Brand: Ate [Photo] 986-351-939-15-M4 $67.75

Brand: Pagid [Photo] 986-351-939-15-M73 $71.75

Brand: Mintex [Photo] 986-351-939-15-M168 $55.75

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._BRKpad_pg1.htm

Thanks,

ddogs

The rotor and pad package that I purchased off of eBay came with Textar pads. I like them. But I haven't done any comparisons either. Check out the digitalbombay site. I think he talks about the various manufacturers. I'm not sure who makes the OEM pads.

Here is a link to the kit I bought on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Box...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the link to digitalbombay.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

Good luck,

-pvaughan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
The Carrera DIY here is pretty much the same for a Boxster (or TT, or GT3 for that matter). Check with a dealer/parts supply house for the latest part numbers and prices.

Since this is a DIY for a Carrera, are the dampener parts the same?? i.e. do we need the round 28/30 mm dampeners for the rear brakes? Pelican parts does have them in stock, but does not show them as required for the Boxster . . . only the Carrera.

What dampeners should be used in the rear for a 2000 boxster?

Thanks

Todd