Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

02+ HID retrofit options?

Before you dismiss this post, I have searched this and other news groups for this topic and have not

found a definitive answer. Most of what I have found is relevant for pre 02 cars

that can be retrofited with the Litronics kit or pertains to retrofitting non projector type headlights.

I am looking to improve the lighting on my US 2002 996 C2:

1) What is involved with a stock bi-xenon retrofit?

What is the final word on the autoleveling and wiring?

2) Regarding the HID retrofit kits (e.g. http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAc...PROD&ProdID=14)

o What are the long term effects on the lens, mirror and headlamp housing?

Any personal experiences?

HIDs use 35 Watt bulbs, supposedly produce less heat but output more light in the visible range.

o What are the effects on the beam pattern?

The HID bulbs are longer and therefore may mess up the beam pattern.

What are your experienes?

Note:

The 02 has the projector type headlight units (see below) and the pattern has a sharp

horizontal cut off similar to our Xenon equiped 3 series BMW. The pattern is also much wider

compared to typical US style beam patterns. I believe this is the cause of apparent

lack of lighting, it's spread out more. When I first got the car I pulled over to

see whether the lights were actually working. High beams are fabulous though.

post-1353-1135063470_thumb.jpg

I already tried the Sylvania Silverstars and found the improvement underwhelming:

post-1353-1135064023_thumb.jpg

Can you tell the difference?

Thanks.

there should be no long term effect on the lens, mirror, and headlamp housing since OEM is designed to handle the HID heat.

HIDs use 35 Watt bulbs, supposedly produce less heat but output more light in the visible range.

a GOOD set should produce the same beam pattern, even though the bulb is longer, the "light source" should be in the same location as normal halogen bulbs.

from my experience with HID retrofit kits, since the entire headlamp pops out with a porsche, I'm not sure where you would mount your ballast. people usually mounts the ballast somewhere inside the engine compartment near the headlamp and OEM hid units mount the ballast inside the headlamp.

from my experience with HID retrofit kits, since the entire headlamp pops out with a porsche, I'm not sure where you would mount your ballast. people usually mounts the ballast somewhere inside the engine compartment near the headlamp and OEM hid units mount the ballast inside the headlamp.

Good point. Any comments from anyone who has done a HID retrofit kit?

Could the ballast be mounted on the exterior of the lamp housing like the OEM one?

Thanks.

Before you dismiss this post, I have searched this and other news groups for this topic and have not

found a definitive answer. Most of what I have found is relevant for pre 02 cars

that can be retrofited with the Litronics kit or pertains to retrofitting non projector type headlights.

I am looking to improve the lighting on my US 2002 996 C2:

1) What is involved with a stock bi-xenon retrofit?

What is the final word on the autoleveling and wiring?

2) Regarding the HID retrofit kits (e.g. http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAc...PROD&ProdID=14)

Note:

The 02 has the projector type headlight units (see below) and the pattern has a sharp

horizontal cut off similar to our Xenon equiped 3 series BMW. The pattern is also much wider

compared to typical US style beam patterns. I believe this is the cause of apparent

lack of lighting, it's spread out more. When I first got the car I pulled over to

see whether the lights were actually working. High beams are fabulous though.

post-1353-1135063470_thumb.jpg

I already tried the Sylvania Silverstars and found the improvement underwhelming:

post-1353-1135064023_thumb.jpg

Can you tell the difference?

Thanks.

I'm working on the same projects for my wife's Cayenne S and my dad's 2003... Call Eli at Pelican Parts. He says you just need 2 harnesses and the Litronics (ebay is a good place for that)...

JM

• 1 month later...