Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Lowering a PASM car

Has anyone lowered a car with PASM? I searched the forums and only found one poster who lowered a 997S by 35 mm using H&R springs without any problems. Loren suggested in February 2005 that it might throw off the calibration of PASM, etc. I am taking delivery of a Cayman S and would love to lower it another inch or 2, both for looks and for track, but obviously need specific info. One curious question related to this and to PASM: Are the standard spring rates more suited to the sport damping setting or comfort setting? If they are relatively softer springs, it would increase the chances that a shorter stiffer spring will work without any PASM modifications.

Here is a word for word quote from the Porsche website regarding PASM operation:

"Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is an electronic control system which uses continuous damper adjustment to maintain optimum ride quality and comfort. The push-button system is standard on the 911 Carrera S and optional on the 911 Carrera.

PASM has two setup modes, “Normal” and “Sport”, with only minimal overlap between the two. While the former is a mix of performance and comfort, the “Sport” setup mode has a much firmer range of settings for greater performance capabilities. The system responds to changing road conditions and/or driving styles by applying a variable damping force within the defined range for the selected mode (“Normal” or “Sport”).

To do that, PASM uses a series of sensors that monitor all movements of the car's body. The PASM control unit then evaluates this data and modifies the damping force on each of the wheels. The results are a reduction in pitch and roll as well as consistent road-holding on all four wheels."

It would appear that Porsche has gone to great lengths to optimize spring rates and ride height. Lowering the car with shorter springs would effectively reduce the PASM envelope of operation, and may result in substantially firmer ride and less progressive control of body movements and weight shifts as the car corners. Assuming you have outstanding driving skills, you may experience more radical handling tendencies when on the limit at the track - these may or may not be what you are looking for.

Whatever you decide, make sure it is something you can live with!

I have a PASM equiped 987S and would say its perfect as it is....... as far as I know the PASM dampers simply replace the standard dampers AND that the same springs are used as those on a standard 987. I would say that the springs are on the softer side of firm. I personally wouldn't lower it any further as mine already catches speed bumps.

My car spends most of its driving time set to sport mode as I prefer the firmer settup...... on very bad roads I switch back to normal mode as it soaks up the lumps and bumps better.

I just got my Cayman S yesterday. I do note that you have to be careful entering driveways and parking lots. I agree that I wouldn't be able to go a lot lower, but maybe another cm. One cm makes a substantial difference between PASM and non-PASM cars' appearances. If one cm is good, two must be better...

Does anyone know how the US PASM equipped cars differ from the European versions? I am guessing that the European cars' ride height is lower, and if the PASM dampers and sway bars are the same, then a spring change and possible PASM recalibration could be all that is needed. Again, I am not rushing off to make any changes and won't make any changes unless I can get some solid info on tried and true setups.

• 2 weeks later...
The springs are not different betwen a US and RoW Cayman with PASM.

I have a 987S with PASM and have been thinking of lowering the ride height, as the car seems to sit a lot higher off the road than my old 986 with sport suspension.A 2-3cm reduction would certainly improve the look of the car, although what it would do to the handling is unknown.

I recently received a copy of 911 and Porsche World magazine-Jan 2006 edition. On page 9 is an article about a CaymanS conversion by TechArt which, amongst a description of a number of modifications, includes:

"...Suspension too, is tweaked, with sport springs lowering the ride height between 25 and 30mm, and said to be fully compatible with Porsche's PASM suspension.." The car illustrated has huge 20" rims, but you can get an impression of what the lowering does to the look of the car. The contact number given is the UK agent, Tech9, on 0151 425 5911. I will be giving them a call

• 2 weeks later...

The springs are not different betwen a US and RoW Cayman with PASM.

I have a 987S with PASM and have been thinking of lowering the ride height, as the car seems to sit a lot higher off the road than my old 986 with sport suspension.A 2-3cm reduction would certainly improve the look of the car, although what it would do to the handling is unknown.

I recently received a copy of 911 and Porsche World magazine-Jan 2006 edition. On page 9 is an article about a CaymanS conversion by TechArt which, amongst a description of a number of modifications, includes:

"...Suspension too, is tweaked, with sport springs lowering the ride height between 25 and 30mm, and said to be fully compatible with Porsche's PASM suspension.." The car illustrated has huge 20" rims, but you can get an impression of what the lowering does to the look of the car. The contact number given is the UK agent, Tech9, on 0151 425 5911. I will be giving them a call

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 987 S with PASM and I putted the Techart's in 20's, in the next couple of days I should be putting in coilovers. I was going to get springs but i wanted to go lower than 20mm. Both springs and coilovers that I am looking at are made specifically for a PASM equipped car.

I have a 987 S with PASM and I putted the Techart's in 20's, in the next couple of days I should be putting in coilovers. I was going to get springs but i wanted to go lower than 20mm. Both springs and coilovers that I am looking at are made specifically for a PASM equipped car.
'987 Boxster S': By coilovers I take it that you mean shock absorbers? I called Tech9 and was quoted the option of just a change of springs, or both springs and adjustable shock absorbers. I think that you plan to fit both? The change in ride height is about 25mm in both cases. I will be very interested to hear what effect the changes have on ride quality and maybe you could post a picture. The prices given to me, (fitting extra), were £385 for springs only, £2750 for springs and shockers. Note these are UK pound prices.

'987 Boxster S': By coilovers I take it that you mean shock absorbers? I called Tech9 and was quoted the option of just a change of springs, or both springs and adjustable shock absorbers. I think that you plan to fit both? The change in ride height is about 25mm in both cases. I will be very interested to hear what effect the changes have on ride quality and maybe you could post a picture. The prices given to me, (fitting extra), were £385 for springs only, £2750 for springs and shockers. Note these are UK pound prices.

'britairdog', yes, by coilovers I mean the springs and the shocks, they come together ready for install. With the "coilovers" you can adjust the ride height between stock and about 40-50mm. With the springs you wouldn't be able to adjust the ride height, that is why I dont want them. Because I have the Techarts in 20, I want the car to sit lower than 25mm for it to look good, that is why I'm going the coilover route. Ride quality should be between stock and with the PASM activated, so I say it is going to be good, I will keep you posted. As soon as I buy a camera I will take pictures and post them. The only problem as of now is that almost no one has coilovers designed for a PASM equipped car, and I want the H&R's, they should be out in a couple of weeks, maybe a month or two so as soon as they come out I'll buy them and tell you how I like them.

sportec has a set of 987 lowering springs (-30 to -40 mm) designed to work with PASM that were featured on sportec's 3.8L 987S (dubbed the sp 370) in last month's excellence magazine.

i must admit that i plan to replicate this exact color/rim combination.

seal grey 987S + 19" anthracite mono/10 rims + sportec lowering springs = PERFECTION

300_7406774_VX4E9566.jpg

sportec has a set of 987 lowering springs (-30 to -40 mm) designed to work with PASM that were featured on sportec's 3.8L 987S (dubbed the sp 370) in last month's excellence magazine.

i must admit that i plan to replicate this exact color/rim combination.

seal grey 987S + 19" anthracite mono/10 rims + sportec lowering springs = PERFECTION

300_7406774_VX4E9566.jpg

That is the perfect colour/rim combo on any 987 I have yet seen. Gawd, it almost makes me sad I got my Basalt Black with Tan Interior

• 1 month later...

"britairdog" I test drove a cayman with PASM and H&R sport springs and the ride quality was like between sport and normal PASM mode, which means is not softer than stock, but not as hard as with the PASM activated, but when you activate pasm, then it gets really stiff, not for city driving buy good for highway driving, hope it helps.

I personaly recomend either H&R's or Cargraphic's which are H&Rs but tuned to their specifications.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a PASM equiped 987S and would say its perfect as it is....... as far as I know the PASM dampers simply replace the standard dampers AND that the same springs are used as those on a standard 987. I would say that the springs are on the softer side of firm. I personally wouldn't lower it any further as mine already catches speed bumps.

My car spends most of its driving time set to sport mode as I prefer the firmer settup...... on very bad roads I switch back to normal mode as it soaks up the lumps and bumps better.

Just a quick question. I have a 987S too and find it way too bumpy/tight with PASM on Sport all the time. Is this freeway/smooth road driving only for you or city or a mixture? I live in Palo Alto, CA and do pretty much a 50/50 split between hwy and city. Any others?

Just a quick question. I have a 987S too and find it way too bumpy/tight with PASM on Sport all the time. Is this freeway/smooth road driving only for you or city or a mixture? I live in Palo Alto, CA and do pretty much a 50/50 split between hwy and city. Any others?

I live in the UK where the road conditions are generally worse than most in the US (at least the parts of the US that I've visited)...... I find sport ok for all but the worst back roads....... however I guess it depends what you are used to, I don't find the ride that harsh because I've only driven firm suspension sports cars during the last 15 years.

I enjoy the normal setting for routine street drivng. It smoothens out the expansion joints on the highway so well, compared to the X73 C4S. The only thing I don't like are dips on the road. The back end has a noticeable tendency to travel more than the front on dips when it's on "normal". Otherwise, I reserve the sport setting for canyon drives and the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to everyone, I just installed sport spring on my 987 Boxster S a week ago, looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. A little bit more stiff than stock, but not much. Lowered about an inch. Handling did improve. By the way, the springs were Cargraphic, and my car has PASM and works beautiful with it.

Alan

Ok, to anyone looking to lower a PASM car, here is the thread which contains the pictures of my PASM equipped car lowered with cargraphic springs.

Cheers.

Alan

Ok, to anyone looking to lower a PASM car, here is the thread which contains the pictures of my PASM equipped car lowered with cargraphic springs. Click Here

Cheers.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...