Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sirius SAT Radio - MOST Integration SUCCESSFUL - 997

did do that 1 month ago. i also noticed the part numbers on the first post.

the question is, if we all need the same kit, are/do the part numbers still current?

i am in between sat and ipod/mp3 install...

emailed Moni @ nav-tv monday and no response.

will call them today..

thanks!

how about some part numbers?

Have a look at Cayenne TSB 12/05 9153 Satellite Radio Installation Instructions (I No. QV4 QV8) -- dated Sep 19, 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow,

It's been awhile since I checked this thread. I'm glad to see more info on the install. Interestingly, "wireless world" across the street from my Porsche dealer claims that Sirius installation in the 997s and 4s is a piece of cake! They also said there are now several other vendors that make aftermarket satellite units that are designed to work with OEM system. When asked about antenna installation and placement they offered a lot of options.

With that said, I still think a Cayenne kit makes the most sense...maybe I'll even try to install it myself! :cheers:

Edited by Nsurg

Good news and bad news! The good news is I got the kit for $982 plus tax. The bad news is I have a C4S and I don't think I have the room to mount the satellite unit along with cables. I should have taken the trunk assembly apart before undertaking this install as the configuration and available space is not what I expected. Any suggestions? :help:

Good news and bad news! The good news is I got the kit for $982 plus tax. The bad news is I have a C4S and I don't think I have the room to mount the satellite unit along with cables. I should have taken the trunk assembly apart before undertaking this install as the configuration and available space is not what I expected. Any suggestions? :help:

is the space different han that for the C2S?

one would think it would fit.

do you have the CD changer as well? this should fit "in there" too...

if not, sell it to one of us!

good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

The unit should mount on top of the NAV unit or if you have the CD Changer on top of that.

If you're having a dealer install it, you can have them contact Danbury Porsche in CT and ask for Lonnie who did the install on several units.

The only thing I have an issue with is reception is not as good as it should be. This is due to location of antenna uner cowel, replacing the NAV antenna. Maybe one day Porsche will get with the program that satellite is a very big option in the USA.

BTW, that's a great price on the kit! :thumbup:

Regards,

Deanski

• 2 weeks later...

The sales guy who has been helping me with my C2S just called with good and bad news. The good news is that my car will be here in three weeks. The bad is that they absolutely will not do the XM/Cayenne/satellite install. Does anyone know of a dealer in LA (the closer to the valley the better!) who will?

Thanks

Folks,

I successfully installed the Sirius Satellite Radio into my 997 via the MOST fiber optic system. I have a 2006 997S with PCM 2.1B. I used the Cayenne Sirius Parts kit. Pix are below and the part numbers are below. Note that this is NOT supported by PAG. It is a custom installation using Cayenne parts. Note also that you must proceed at your own risk. You must have PCM 2.1B. When ordering parts kit, differentiate between XM or Sirius and whether or not you have a CD changer (different part numbers for CD changer or not CD changer).

The antenna replaces the NAV antenna under the cowl cover.

It works FANTASTIC.

:eek:

p.s. I also included antenna install pix in the cowl cover (under the wipers) (both before and after).

1080iAdduct

Thanks for the info. I am considering an XM setup for my 997S. The car does not have a changer or navigation. It has the BOSE sound system. I have some questions to which I would appreciate any info you could supply.

1. Since I do not have either a changer or nav will there be power and MOST interface connectors available to hook into?

2. The dealer says that there is an additional harness cable necessary in addition to the one in the kit for installation. He also says that the harness has to be fed back into the passenger compartment. Is he just trying to justify the $600 he charges for installation (with parts total package is $1700)?

3. I mentioned I would want the additional CD changer kit and he said that it wouldn't work since I don't have the changer. Why do you assert that this kit is necessary? I would prefer this kit in case I ever want to add a changer to the system.

4. I assume that all the information you gave on displays and options are the same as for the XM system. Is this true.

I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide.

Carl

The unit should mount on top of the NAV unit or if you have the CD Changer on top of that.

If you're having a dealer install it, you can have them contact Danbury Porsche in CT and ask for Lonnie who did the install on several units.

The only thing I have an issue with is reception is not as good as it should be. This is due to location of antenna uner cowel, replacing the NAV antenna. Maybe one day Porsche will get with the program that satellite is a very big option in the USA.

Regards,

Deanski

Sorry guys,

I should have checked back on the board a lot sooner. Anyway, since I didn't attempt to install the Sat kit I was able to return it without paying the usual restocking fee.

As for the configuration issues, those of you with C2's should check out the trunk of a C4S. Part of the all wheel drive unit takes up most of the center portion of the trunk. As a consequence, the components for the nav and sound system are in completely different locations and orientations. For the record, I don't even have a CD changer. The Sat kit install would have required choosing a different location for the receiver and probably constructing a custom mount as well as housing or cover to replace the plastic unit covering the components presently( which was not large enough to accommodate the Sat receiver). I suppose in the end it's "doable" I just wasn't up to blazing new trails. I would also caution those of you with new turbo's as the configuration is likely to be the same.

Lastly, if anyone out there has installed the kit in a 997 C4S let me know how you did it.

Thanks

Regards,

Deanski

Sorry guys,

I should have checked back on the board a lot sooner. Anyway, since I didn't attempt to install the Sat kit I was able to return it without paying the usual restocking fee.

As for the configuration issues, those of you with C2's should check out the trunk of a C4S. Part of the all wheel drive unit takes up most of the center portion of the trunk. As a consequence, the components for the nav and sound system are in completely different locations and orientations. For the record, I don't even have a CD changer. The Sat kit install would have required choosing a different location for the receiver and probably constructing a custom mount as well as housing or cover to replace the plastic unit covering the components presently( which was not large enough to accommodate the Sat receiver). I suppose in the end it's "doable" I just wasn't up to blazing new trails. I would also caution those of you with new turbo's as the configuration is likely to be the same.

Lastly, if anyone out there has installed the kit in a 997 C4S let me know how you did it.

Thanks

Regards,

Deanski

Sorry guys,

Thanks

FYI. Suncoast Motorsports deliniates between a C2 and a C4 in their Retrofit kits. I ordered one

for my incoming 987s, but you may want to check with them as perhaps they have an alternate mounting

location for the C4s?

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...de=satellite997

• 2 weeks later...
Now you say they are pulling the kit? Total BS if you ask me.

Porsche just doesn't "get" in-car electronics. As another indication of this, look at the lame phone solution on 997s, with that stupid SIM chip drawer. Contrast this with Lexus' Bluetooth, which works well.

Heck, I just had a GM rental on a trip, and it had a mini stereo jack AUX input on the front of the radio! I stopped at a Wal-Mart, bought a double-ended mini stereo cable (a whopping $4.47), plugged in my iPod Nano, and was golden.

Well, I pick up my car on Monday. I referred the service manager of my dealership to this and a companion thread, but I sense that I am not making much progress. The Cayenne install seems much cleaner than any other way, particularly since Porsche has apparently entered into a deal with XM to expand the "factory" availability of satellite radio. First, does anyone know of an LA dealer who is doing this install? Second, this is my first Porche and have little idea of the comapny's history with upgrades; might there be any advantage to using a "band-aid" solution for now and waiting for the "official" kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Hank

Well, I pick up my car on Monday. I referred the service manager of my dealership to this and a companion thread, but I sense that I am not making much progress. The Cayenne install seems much cleaner than any other way, particularly since Porsche has apparently entered into a deal with XM to expand the "factory" availability of satellite radio. First, does anyone know of an LA dealer who is doing this install? Second, this is my first Porche and have little idea of the comapny's history with upgrades; might there be any advantage to using a "band-aid" solution for now and waiting for the "official" kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Hank

The official kit may not come for another year if at all. It is rumored (emphasize 'rumored') that satellite radio may be an option for MY2008. I purchased the Cayenne kit (with the cable option for the CD changer), and am preparing to install it myself this week. I really expect it to be a DIY project - it's all plug and play - the Cayenne kit provides plenty of extra cables that aren't needed (and may be removed from the bundle), an excess of antenna wire (a non-issue), and a somewhat compromised placement of the antenna (most members of this board report normal operation nonetheless). It's clearly a 1 to 2 hr project.

But while we're on the topic, anyone able to mount the antenna under the cowl WITHOUT removing the cowl - is there enough clearance for access to the screwhead and mount??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance. Hank

The official kit may not come for another year if at all. It is rumored (emphasize 'rumored') that satellite radio may be an option for MY2008. I purchased the Cayenne kit (with the cable option for the CD changer), and am preparing to install it myself this week. I really expect it to be a DIY project - it's all plug and play - the Cayenne kit provides plenty of extra cables that aren't needed (and may be removed from the bundle), an excess of antenna wire (a non-issue), and a somewhat compromised placement of the antenna (most members of this board report normal operation nonetheless). It's clearly a 1 to 2 hr project.

But while we're on the topic, anyone able to mount the antenna under the cowl WITHOUT removing the cowl - is there enough clearance for access to the screwhead and mount??

I just added Satellite to my MY07 987 using the Cayenne parts. I kept the existing GPS Antenna and added the new Antenna under the Cowl just to the right of the Telephone Antenna (666 Phone option). I didnt remove the cowl, but affixed the

Antenna using Velcro and it seems to work ok. I may eventually replace the original existing Antenna by removing the cowl, but I'll see how this works first.

I just added Satellite to my MY07 987 using the Cayenne parts. I kept the existing GPS Antenna and added the new Antenna under the Cowl just to the right of the Telephone Antenna (666 Phone option). I didnt remove the cowl, but affixed the

Antenna using Velcro and it seems to work ok. I may eventually replace the original existing Antenna by removing the cowl, but I'll see how this works first.

We mounted ours similarly last month using the Heavy Duty Gray 3M tape. Did have to cut the extra "ears" off of the Cayenne antenna. We do occasionaly get some drop out. Also we on occasion have "lost the Sat authorization". Seems to come back if we shut down car and re-cycle power.

Regards

Richard

2007 C2s

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, where can I order the Sirius kit from? I see Suncoast has it for just over $1000. Is that the typical price?

I found a website that claims to sell it for $699, but I'm a bit leary (autopartsnationwide.com). Any experience with them?

I'm thinking this might be my Xmas gift to myself. As if the car wasn't already a Xmas gift to myself. (Actually it was a Thanksgiving gift.)