Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Has anyone "chipped" their 996 to increase performance?

Hello All

I have a 99 c2 tip with evo cold air intake.....

wondering if anyone has done the obd ii chip reprogramming to increase hp?

i am thinking about doing this but would love to hear form others about

1. How to do it?

2. cost?

3. tuner used?

4. if you felt it was worth it?

thanks in advance

I also have a 99 C2 (6speed) that I insatlled the EVO intake on. I sent my ECU off to AWE tuning and had the GIAC upgrade flashed in. $1000. I'm sure you already know that 20 or so hp gains are claimed with this combination. I've never had a dyno done so I can't verify. I can say that I like the results. You get a bit better throttle response at take-off because the flat spot is gone! It feels like better torgue. The biggest difference is a bit harder to quantify. The best way I can descride it is that the car feels grittier. In a good way! And the obvious awsome sound that the EVO intake provides at high rpms. My only caution does relate to the intake. Over oiling will mess up your MAF. (You know what that is because you had to transfer it to the new intake). I had mine go bad about 4K miles after installing the intake. That's with whatever amount of oil came on the filter because I have yet to re-oil it (after 6K). MAF replacement included a lecture from the dealer about aftermarket air intakes voiding the warranty on the new part. Otherwise, no regrets.

Hello All

I have a 99 c2 tip with evo cold air intake.....

wondering if anyone has done the obd ii chip reprogramming to increase hp?

i am thinking about doing this but would love to hear form others about

1. How to do it?

2. cost?

3. tuner used?

4. if you felt it was worth it?

thanks in advance

I also have a 99 C2 (6speed) that I insatlled the EVO intake on. I sent my ECU off to AWE tuning and had the GIAC upgrade flashed in. $1000. I'm sure you already know that 20 or so hp gains are claimed with this combination. I've never had a dyno done so I can't verify. I can say that I like the results. You get a bit better throttle response at take-off because the flat spot is gone! It feels like better torgue. The biggest difference is a bit harder to quantify. The best way I can descride it is that the car feels grittier. In a good way! And the obvious awsome sound that the EVO intake provides at high rpms. My only caution does relate to the intake. Over oiling will mess up your MAF. (You know what that is because you had to transfer it to the new intake). I had mine go bad about 4K miles after installing the intake. That's with whatever amount of oil came on the filter because I have yet to re-oil it (after 6K). MAF replacement included a lecture from the dealer about aftermarket air intakes voiding the warranty on the new part. Otherwise, no regrets.

how often do you have to oil this thing

i purchased my unit used about 6 months ago and i have never re-oiled it

im kind of afriad to because of the maf problems

I've used oiled filters with no issues on MAF vehicles for years now. I just try to not overdue the oil and I always leave the filter out of the car/truck overnight after cleaning on some newspaper to let any excees oil run/drip out of it.

I've used oiled filters with no issues on MAF vehicles for years now. I just try to not overdue the oil and I always leave the filter out of the car/truck overnight after cleaning on some newspaper to let any excees oil run/drip out of it.

What is the procedure you use for oiling your filter. How much? What are you using for oil? And How do you apply it?

I have a '03 C4S which I Superchipped about 6 months ago. Like every normally aspirated car i've owned and have 'chipped' in the past, the increases wouldn't be classed as breathtaking but for the cost and assuming you are using super unleaded or an octane booster I think it worth it. Just as a comparison price wise, the cost is 450 euro or 550 USD. Being the Superchips agent for Southern Ireland it didn't cost me anything so who am I to complain!

I've actually flashed a lot of bay area 996/997s and obviously the Turbo cars are the ones that have the largest benefits. When you're dealing with NA cars it's just not the same in terms of the parameters you can play with. There are much smaller gains to be had but we're still talking about 20RWHP on an NA 996, which isn't too bad (even on the GT3 we were able to dyno 11RWHP more). The 3.4Ls have a bit more headroom in them with regards to tuning the timing advance, throttle response, tip in and AFRs. The 3.6L's are more highly strung and you get a bit less HP from a flash (13RWHP). If you already have the EVO intake on there there are actually GIAC/EVO files specifically able to take even more advantage. The other thing is that if you do the EVO/GIAC flashes (find your local dealer) if for some reason you don't like it you can reverse it in 20 minutes and get refunded. End of speech;)

I think there are a few things that need to be done in a 996 before any that. The first being an SSK. That is something that cannot be beat for the money. It makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive and it's also a fun DIY project;)