Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roto Paint

I noticed all my brake rotor are rusting bad, I took it to my repair guy and he told me I have to paint all 4 of them. Oh boy... I guess I have to use high-temp paint for this job, but what kind?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

rotor.jpg

Edited by vfxbox

I personally would not spend too much time on this or agonize about it.

Rotors are wearable items, so just get high temp enamel paint from some car store

in whatever color suits you. I have used that tape of high temp paint on calipers

of other cars with reasonable results. However, with that amount of rust

I would certainly try to brush/sand most of it off and then use Naval

Jelly (jellified phosphoric acid) to eat the rest of it off before you paint it.

Don't bother with primer.

Obviously, you DO NOT want any paint on the disc surfaces, and I also

would not paint where the rim contacts the hub.

You will probably find that normal spray paint will be fine as unless you are track day'ing your car, that region wont get excessively hot. The heat will have transfered out the cooling air before this region gets any major effect from heat transfer.

best thing to prove is after one of your busiest drive, say to or from work, when you get out just have a feel of the rotor and you will notice it will not be hot, yet touch the disc itself and you will probably get a burn.

Thanks every one, I've ask my repair guy and he will remove rotor and paint with VHT high temp paint. Also he will check each rotor and sand 'em even as well. All for $80.. not bad... :D

Thanks every one, I've ask my repair guy and he will remove rotor and paint with VHT high temp paint. Also he will check each rotor and sand 'em even as well. All for $80.. not bad... :D

That's worth it. I painted mine on my previous Porsche, a 996, and it was time consuming. You're getting a deal.

• Moderators
Obviously, you DO NOT want any paint on the disc surfaces, and I also

would not paint where the rim contacts the hub.

Actually, if you want to paint the rotor hats, clean them off, use some steel wool to get the surface rust off etc. then wipe them down with some paint thinner or 3M general purpose adhesive remover.

For paint, plain old grey primer is the OEM color and material of choice. For a nice trim, I also paint the rotor vents sliver.

It is best if you remove the rotor from the car to clean and paint it. That is not that hard, just take the caliper off with 2 bolts, and then the rotor is just held in place with a little phillips screw.

As far as masking the rotor or not getting paint on the surface, forget about it! Just focus on painting the hat, and don't fret about the over spray on the disc surface. The first time you apply the brakes, the pads will clean off all of the over spray for you , and leave a nice line. Of course with that said, it is best to apply the paint to the surface you want coated. But don't worry about overspray.

If you have ever bought brand new OEM discs, especially german ones, you will find that they are completely painted. With the first application of the brakes, the paint is completely removed with no harm to anything.

I have been painting my rotors on all of my cars for 30 years like this, and have never had a problem.

Here is a picture of the last respray I did last month.

newfrontstrut.jpg

here is what they look like when done.

valvecoverweb.jpg