Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I am thinking about selling my 997S. I never drive it and think I would use a Cayenne much more, but don't want to be sick after doing the deal. Any thoughts.

I had a Cayenne as a loaner while the dealer was servicing my 997S. These are such significantly different cars it's not even funny. One's an SUV, and the other a sports car. While the Cayenne tries, and does a pretty good job, it's not even in the same league as the 997S. However, if you pony-up heavy for the Turbo, you're getting close. Porsche has done the best job of making the Cayenne drive tight and peppy, but it's an SUV and a solid effort to capture people like you looking to move out of their sports car and into an SUV.

I drive my 997 about two to three times a week and look forward to my intimate driving time. If you must go the SUV route, the Cayenne is a nice move. I had the six cylinder non-S, non-Turbo. I have to tell you, IT IS SLOOOOOOOOW. Sure it has the shifter and makes some noise when you mash the pedal, but it just doesn't move. The suspension is among the best I've seen on an SUV.

I wish you luck in your decision. My advice: get a loaner from them of the model you're considering. I would really push you to at least the S or Turbo if you can since the ponies are pathetic in the standard model. :drive:

Regards...

I am thinking about selling my 997S. I never drive it and think I would use a Cayenne much more, but don't want to be sick after doing the deal. Any thoughts.

I had a Cayenne as a loaner while the dealer was servicing my 997S. These are such significantly different cars it's not even funny. One's an SUV, and the other a sports car. While the Cayenne tries, and does a pretty good job, it's not even in the same league as the 997S. However, if you pony-up heavy for the Turbo, you're getting close. Porsche has done the best job of making the Cayenne drive tight and peppy, but it's an SUV and a solid effort to capture people like you looking to move out of their sports car and into an SUV.

I drive my 997 about two to three times a week and look forward to my intimate driving time. If you must go the SUV route, the Cayenne is a nice move. I had the six cylinder non-S, non-Turbo. I have to tell you, IT IS SLOOOOOOOOW. Sure it has the shifter and makes some noise when you mash the pedal, but it just doesn't move. The suspension is among the best I've seen on an SUV.

I wish you luck in your decision. My advice: get a loaner from them of the model you're considering. I would really push you to at least the S or Turbo if you can since the ponies are pathetic in the standard model. :drive:

Regards...

Happy 911, yes i have had several Cayenne loaners as well, all V6. They drive nice, but are tortously slow and under powered. This is a tough decision as i really love driving my car but just don't seem to do it offten. i have less than 3000 miles on the odo and it has almost been a year. i think that Turbo Cay. would be fun but a waste of money. i owned a VW Toureg and love it, but the service sucked so i sold it. tough decision but i am trying to be practical so to speak.

Why not test drive a Ford pick up truck while you're at it and see how THAT compares to the 'eleven S ?

It costs a lot less than the Cayenne and when you get sick about your decision at least you can tell yourself that it was cheap.

Edited by Jean

Regards...

Happy 911, yes i have had several Cayenne loaners as well, all V6. They drive nice, but are tortously slow and under powered. This is a tough decision as i really love driving my car but just don't seem to do it offten. i have less than 3000 miles on the odo and it has almost been a year. i think that Turbo Cay. would be fun but a waste of money. i owned a VW Toureg and love it, but the service sucked so i sold it. tough decision but i am trying to be practical so to speak.

I feel your pain. I have two little ones and they rarely drive in my 997S. My daily driver is a 745LI with plenty of leg room for even the kick'iest kid. VW, horrible service! Any chance you can get the CayS? I will tell you, at 6'3'', I get tired of crawling out of my 997, but the ride is worth it. I'm a car whore and am always looking for a reason to jump on the next babe (car, that is). I've had my 997S for six months and plan on keeping it for awhile.

I, too, have a guilt comlex about having such an expensive car sitting idle in the garage looking pretty. My wife has to constantly persuade me it's ok to have such a toy, but I'm from poor roots and it haunts me to no end. You can take the poor guy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the guy.

Enjoy your car. And if you grow tired of it,..move on. Get the Cay and enjoy it. Life's short and all you can take are your experiences. May as well make them good ones :king: .

m

Regards...

I feel your pain. I have two little ones and they rarely drive in my 997S. My daily driver is a 745LI with plenty of leg room for even the kick'iest kid. VW, horrible service! Any chance you can get the CayS? I will tell you, at 6'3'', I get tired of crawling out of my 997, but the ride is worth it. I'm a car whore and am always looking for a reason to jump on the next babe (car, that is). I've had my 997S for six months and plan on keeping it for awhile.

I, too, have a guilt comlex about having such an expensive car sitting idle in the garage looking pretty. My wife has to constantly persuade me it's ok to have such a toy, but I'm from poor roots and it haunts me to no end. You can take the poor guy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the guy.

Enjoy your car. And if you grow tired of it,..move on. Get the Cay and enjoy it. Life's short and all you can take are your experiences. May as well make them good ones :king: .

m

Happy 911, thanks for all the great thoughts. I too have the guilts. and i agree, you can't take it with you. I too am a car whore. What i need is the 997S and the Cayenne. but then there are all the other cars i own in the other garages so it does get a bit much.

Jean, you are an ***, thanks for the positive thoughts.

Jeans an *** but your a guy who has an S and never drives it, thinking a truck might get more 'use'.

OK.....I'll play along......was there a particular reason you bought the S?.......hey, if it wasn't to drive, then no doubt about it.....trade it off. Personally I'm not big on having this stuff in the garage to walk by, sorry.

Don't worry, you won't be sick about the deal.......(unless you're sick right now, that you aren't driving it).

My apologies if there is some financial or physical reason the car isn't getting driven.

But on the 'life is short' kick..........some of us take that to the bank.........we fricken enjoy 'driving' so much, we drive em every day to work, haul dogs in em, take em on trips, throw winter tires & wheel on em so we can practice autocrossing in January (and have a blast).....even if we are 6'2"

Whatever pulls your chain.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to have a Porsche for a truck, you're a lucky guy. and if you can enjoy driving it, more power to ya.

Good luck with your choice.

Edited by GreggT

Jeans an *** but your a guy who has an S and never drives it, thinking a truck might get more 'use'.

OK.....I'll play along......was there a particular reason you bought the S?.......hey, if it wasn't to drive, then no doubt about it.....trade it off. Personally I'm not big on having this stuff in the garage to walk by, sorry.

Don't worry, you won't be sick about the deal.......(unless you're sick right now, that you aren't driving it).

My apologies if there is some financial or physical reason the car isn't getting driven.

But on the 'life is short' kick..........some of us take that to the bank.........we fricken enjoy 'driving' so much, we drive em every day to work, haul dogs in em, take em on trips, throw winter tires & wheel on em so we can practice autocrossing in January (and have a blast).....even if we are 6'2"

Whatever pulls your chain.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to have a Porsche for a truck, you're a lucky guy. and if you can enjoy driving it, more power to ya.

Good luck with your choice.

To be more detailed. I do have a truck which i drive daily. the problem is that my office is 1 mile from my house so even if i drove my S to work it would not even get warmed up befor i get to work, then most of the day, on a typical day i tend to work at the office doing bids. i am in the construction business and i have managers that go out into the field. i do the bids and computer work, as a president/owner usually does. sometimes i do go into the field, but it is not practiacal or smart to drive a 100K car to a constuction site for obvious reasons. i also chose to not drive my car in the rain b/c i am particular about keeping it clean, but no i am not the type who keeps it in the garage just to look at. as a matter of fact i have not even washed the car in over a month. it just comes down to time and it seems that there is never any time to take the car out by myself or with the kids and it seems like a waste to let it sit, and i feel guilty for spending the money and not using it. if i did not need a truck bed some times, i could just get rid of it and drive the Cayenne and all would be good, but i have a mountain home and need to take stuff to the mountains. now that you have the entire personal history you may understand my pain.

/quote]

To be more detailed. I do have a truck which i drive daily. the problem is that my office is 1 mile from my house so even if i drove my S to work it would not even get warmed up befor i get to work, then most of the day, on a typical day i tend to work at the office doing bids. i am in the construction business and i have managers that go out into the field. i do the bids and computer work, as a president/owner usually does. sometimes i do go into the field, but it is not practiacal or smart to drive a 100K car to a constuction site for obvious reasons. i also chose to not drive my car in the rain b/c i am particular about keeping it clean, but no i am not the type who keeps it in the garage just to look at. as a matter of fact i have not even washed the car in over a month. it just comes down to time and it seems that there is never any time to take the car out by myself or with the kids and it seems like a waste to let it sit, and i feel guilty for spending the money and not using it. if i did not need a truck bed some times, i could just get rid of it and drive the Cayenne and all would be good, but i have a mountain home and need to take stuff to the mountains. now that you have the entire personal history you may understand my pain.

Thanks for sharing your life . And I do understand your pain .

You bought a 100 k car that you now don't know what to do with ...

You are thinking of buying a Cayenne , but you wont be able to use it because you have to haul "stuff" to your mountain home....

On another thread you stated that the dealer put a new transmission into your Porsche because the sport shifter was a little tight ....

About the only thing believeable about you is that you drive a pick up truck.

I may be an *** , but where does that leave you ?

Edited by Jean

/quote]

Thanks for sharing your life . And I do understand your pain .

You bought a 100 k car that you now don't know what to do with ...

You are thinking of buying a Cayenne , but you wont be able to use it because you have to haul "stuff" to your mountain home....

On another thread you stated that the dealer put a new transmission into your Porsche because the sport shifter was a little tight ....

About the only thing believeable about you is that you drive a pick up truck.

I may be an *** , but where does that leave you ?

Jean, are you serioulsy tring to get into a pissing match over whether or not i own a 997S? you need to get a life and quit being so negative on these boards. i come to the boards for some freindly advice and comraderie, not to be pissed on and debate my ownership. jean, get a life and please do not bother responding to my comments any more, you are not helping any of us with your negativity. "happy 911" thanks for your understanding and i appreciate the feedback.