Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can someone help me identify these parts?

I just bought the car about 3 weeks ago 1999 boxster and was putting in a XM sat system, when I removed the panels around the radio I found these unmarked boxes? One is a rechargable battery the other is just a black box with what appears to be some sort of antenna hookup and a FCC warning label?

I figure its one of two things 1.Car Alarm system or 2. LoJack? They dont look factory so I was wondering of someone could tell me what they are?

Edited by heavyarms

I just bought the car about 3 weeks ago 1999 boxster and was putting in a XM sat system, when I removed the panels around the radio I found these unmarked boxes? One is a rechargable battery the other is just a black box with what appears to be some sort of antenna hookup and a FCC warning label?

I figure its one of two things 1.Car Alarm system or 2. LoJack? They dont look factory so I was wondering of someone could tell me what they are?

mpart.JPG

can you take more pictures? I can see telephone power cord...

No this has nothing to do with chickens, Nice try.

The grey box is a rechargable battery pack that is wired to the black box, the black box does not have any useful information on it. It has some numbers and a FCC warning label about freqency interference, there isnt any other useful information. The battery has just normal battery warning info on it and states that it is a rechargable battery pack. Everything was bundled together with velcro and stuck back behind the radio area, I had to pull it out to run some wires.

I was thinking that someone might know what a LoJack unit or the Factory porsche alarm system box looks like and could tell me if this looks like one of them.

thanks.

I called my local porsche dealer and asked about it, they said that it sounds like the a LoJack unit - this would explain the battery backup.

You are absolutly right, You would think they would try put it in a different place instead of behind the radio. They guy I bought the car from never mentioned a LoJack being installed, I guess I should call him and ask about it.

Thanks for the help folks.

On the contrary - the markings are very useful if you have the FCC label! Check if the unit has the FCC ID - it should be written on the FCC label. It should be of the format:

FCC ID: xxxxxxxxxxx

Just plug the numbers into the first two fields on this form (first 3 chars into first field and remaining chars into second field):

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/r...nericSearch.cfm

and hit search. It'll tell you the manufacturer and some other details.

Thanks!

Shash

Edited by Rom