Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM/PCM2 Software Revisions

• Admin

From TSB 0307 9112 PCM Software Release Versions (dated 11-24-03)

Vehicle Type: All PCM Equipped Vehicles

Model Year: As of 1998 (W)

Information: This bulletin is to inform you of the PCM software release versions. See the Technical Information Bulletin

pertaining to the specific vehicle you are working on for VIN cutoff dates.

PCM 1:

- Utilizes seven (7) map disks to cover the United States only

- Optionally installed in MY 1998 to MY 2002 vehicles

PCM 2:

- Utilizes two (2) map disks to cover the United States and Canada

- Optionally installed in MY 2003 and up vehicles.

- You can use updated map CD version 2003.1 in early PCM2s after updating the operating system from 2.0 to 3.0. See Technical Bulletin “PCM2 and BOSE Spare Parts Requirement” referenced below.

PCM System Navigation Map Software Release Vehicle Description

post-1-1248454983_thumb.png

Navigation disks are available from NAVTECH. Their customer support number is 1 (888) 628-6277.

Hi, I posted this question already but I think you know more than anybody else here on this matter.

I am planning to buy a 997 S in the US equipped with the navigation system, do you think that if I'll ship it over to Europe and use it in Italy and Germany with the European discs it will work?

Thanks,

Giangi

• 4 months later...

I have a 2003 PCM II with 2.0 software. What do I need to do to use the latest mapping software? Are there any visible benefits upon upgrading to OS 3? I use to have the problems with the Bose/PCM II and they did a version upgrade to it at Porsche. It works fine now.

• Admin
I have a 2003 PCM II with 2.0 software. What do I need to do to use the latest mapping software? Are there any visible benefits upon upgrading to OS 3? I use to have the problems with the Bose/PCM II and they did a version upgrade to it at Porsche. It works fine now.

Your dealer should do this at no charge.

Do you recommend upgrading to 3.0 OS and getting the new Map?

• Admin

For your car you likely need to check the VIN with your dealer. If your car is a true MY03 (not a MY04 build) then your current software version 2 is correct and can not be updated. Your dealer can make one phone call using your VIN to PCNA verify whether your need or can use the update.

• 1 month later...

Loren,

I have an '02 with the 7 disk system. Are you saying that I can upgrade to version 3/PCM 2 that uses the 2 disk system?

Is this something that would be covered under the warranty or the "one free upgrade" plan?

Thanks,

• Admin
Loren,

I have an '02 with the 7 disk system.  Are you saying that I can upgrade to version 3/PCM 2 that uses the 2 disk system?

Is this something that would be covered under the warranty or the "one free upgrade" plan?

Thanks,

No, not if you currently have PCM 1.

MY2002 was a little different since most cars got PCM1 and only the last build or two got PCM2.

• 2 months later...
Loren,

I have an '02 with the 7 disk system.  Are you saying that I can upgrade to version 3/PCM 2 that uses the 2 disk system?

Thanks,

No, not if you currently have PCM 1.

MY2002 was a little different since most cars got PCM1 and only the last build or two got PCM2.

Out of curiosity, does all of this discussion imply that there are some '02's with MOST, or some 02's with PCM2 that have analog connectivity?

While I'm asking questions, is there any analog output on a MOST PCM2? In other words, can you get the required plugs and also have analog output along with the MOST connectivity?

Dwayne

Edited by dwaynemosley

• 1 month later...

Are there other TSB´s for Europe about the PCM software. I am looking for some info that came out about a new and maby last update for the PCM 1. There was something about a new cd reader also on the same info.

And also where do I find out what releses that have been made for the PCM software in europe ?

Hope someone can help me.

I am putting in a PCM2 into my car next week from a buddy's 40th Anniversary Ed. His car had a CD changer and I would like to add one to my "new" system since you can't listen to a CD and utilize the map or nav function at the same time.

Is there a kit to add the CDC to my car - '03 carrera coupe with Bose and soon to be PCM II :) thanks for any points and/or costs/part numbers

TIA

I am putting in a PCM2 into my car next week from a buddy's 40th Anniversary Ed.  His car had a CD changer and I would like to add one to my "new" system since you can't listen to a CD and utilize the map or nav function at the same time.

Is there a kit to add the CDC to my car - '03 carrera coupe with Bose and soon to be PCM II :)  thanks for any points and/or costs/part numbers

TIA

Your PCMII should be able to route you to up to 7 navigation stopovers and final destination and hold that in memory and you can take out the Nav CD and Insert a music CD. So both will work at the same time. I believe you will need a CDC-4 and I think the car is Pre-wired for it. You just may need the CDC base to secure it.

What you will need is the PCM II install kit/parts that are listed on this website. Do a seach and you will find it. Let us know how it goes.

thanks Alex - i already have all the parts on order. some were not available(i.e. in stock) in the US so they had to be ordered from Germany. they should be here in about 2 wks

i'll post how it goes but hopefully it will be as smooth as Corey's

• 2 weeks later...

For your car you likely need to check the VIN with your dealer. If your car is a true MY03 (not a MY04 build) then your current software version 2 is correct and can not be updated. Your dealer can make one phone call using your VIN to PCNA verify whether your need or can use the update.

Loren:

I went to Porsche and got my Nav (PCM II) upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0 It has a couple of extra features like the display color. You can now select 2 color sets. There might be some extra features but have not noticed them. Also, I was actually able to continue using my original 2.0 Nav disks before getting my 2004 3.0 set. Once I installed the 3.0 Nav disc then it upgraded the Navigation software. Porsche did it for free. So the final question is are all 2.0 PCM II's upgradeable to 3.0? I don't believe NavTeq has a 2004 Nav set for a 2.0

I bought the PCM2 from a friend, and am adding it to a 04 996 with already present 6 disc changer and bose amplifier. Before tearing it apart, do I need the fiber optic cable module 996 622 705 00 (radio/pcm with amp and cd changer, not phone) or are all the cables already there when I pull the CDR23?

• Admin
I bought the PCM2 from a friend,  and am adding it to a 04 996 with already present 6 disc changer and bose amplifier.  Before tearing it apart, do I need the fiber optic cable module 996 622 705 00 (radio/pcm with amp and cd changer, not phone) or are all the cables already there when I pull the CDR23?

If your car did not have PCM2 previously then you will likely need the fiber optic cable. You will also need to have a shop re-program the MOST system (with a PST2 or PIWIS tester) in your car so that it know which options are being used. Have a look at the DIY here.

I bought the PCM2 from a friend,  and am adding it to a 04 996 with already present 6 disc changer and bose amplifier.  Before tearing it apart, do I need the fiber optic cable module 996 622 705 00 (radio/pcm with amp and cd changer, not phone) or are all the cables already there when I pull the CDR23?

If you have a CDR23 and the Bose system and changer, you have the fiber optic cable that you need already there. You will only need to change the location of the heater controls and add a new surround, install the GPS antenna, change out the PCMII mounting brackets, put it all back together, and have it all reprogrammed by the dealer.

This was my experience doing the retrofit in an '03 Targa.

Good Luck. :D

Hi, I posted this question already but I think you know more than anybody else here on this matter.

I am planning to buy a 997 S in the US equipped with the navigation system, do you think that if I'll ship it over to Europe and use it in Italy and Germany with the European discs it will work?

Thanks,

Giangi

:drive: Yes, your NAV will operate in other countries, since all data is stored on the disc and the PCM uses SAT NAV(satalite navigation) so provided the correct disc is installed Europe is no problem. PCM in 997 uses DVD drive, so for the first time can provide constant navigation guidance within an entire continent. eg only 1 disc is required for western Europe.

Gentlemen...this thread got a little confusing for low tech me....I'm purchasing a PCM2 which came out of a wrecked '03 TT, to install in my '03 C4S....there are no disks in the transaction....I was given a set of 2.0 disks....am I to assume that the compatible disks will be from 2.0, or do I have to wait to fire it up to find out?

If it is 2.0, and my disks work, is there any sense to upgrading to 3.0? The install is being done at an authorized Porsche dealer.

thanks

I purchased a used PCM1 from LA Porsche to install in my 02 C4S which was built prior to MOST, has the Bose system, and the 6 CD player. I understood/was lead to believe that I was purchasing all needed parts but found out after the fact that it did not include what I believe you call the din sleeves, mount, trim around the dvd unit, or the lower trim piece. I went to the local Porsche dealer in town and really did not recieve any helpful info. Can anyone offer help with finding the necessary parts or have leads on these pieces in black and any wiring instructions?

I purchased a used PCM1 from LA Porsche to install in my 02 C4S which was built prior to MOST, has the Bose system, and the 6 CD player.  I understood/was lead to believe that I was purchasing all needed parts but found out after the fact that it did not include what I believe you call the din sleeves, mount, trim around the dvd unit, or the lower trim piece.  I went to the local Porsche dealer in town and really did not recieve any helpful info.  Can anyone offer help with finding the necessary parts or have leads on these pieces in black and any wiring instructions?

WHERE I CAN CALL TO GET PCM1 NAVIGATION DISK OF SPAIN??? UPDATED!!

REGARDS.

I purchased a used PCM1 from LA Porsche to install in my 02 C4S which was built prior to MOST, has the Bose system, and the 6 CD player.  I understood/was lead to believe that I was purchasing all needed parts but found out after the fact that it did not include what I believe you call the din sleeves, mount, trim around the dvd unit, or the lower trim piece.  I went to the local Porsche dealer in town and really did not recieve any helpful info.  Can anyone offer help with finding the necessary parts or have leads on these pieces in black and any wiring instructions?

WHERE I CAN CALL TO GET PCM1 NAVIGATION DISK OF SPAIN??? UPDATED!!

REGARDS.

Go to www.navtech.com

Gentlemen...this thread got a little confusing for low tech me....I'm purchasing a PCM2 which came out of a wrecked '03 TT, to install in my '03 C4S....there are no disks in the transaction....I was given a set of 2.0 disks....am I to assume that the compatible disks will be from 2.0, or do I have to wait to fire it up to find out?

If it is 2.0, and my disks work, is there any sense to upgrading to 3.0?  The install is being done at an authorized Porsche dealer.

thanks

It has a couple of new features like selectable color screens. The new discs 3.0 have much more details, inlcuding POI's