Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

question about front trunk light

I have a 99 C4 cab. The small light located in the front trunk does not go on. I tried changing the bulb, unhooking the connections, trying with the headlights on and off and nothing is working. Any suggestions?

Eric

Do you get a single beep when you set the alarm?

If so, then you likely have a bad microswitch in the front latch assembly.

Yes, I get a single beep. I did not know I was supposed to have more than one beep. A few questions, how complicated is fixing a bad microswitch? Do I have to replace the front latch assembly. Also, the light is not much of an issue for me. I can live without it. Does the microswitch do anything else? Any other functions that may not be working?

Thanks.

Eric

I had the same problem with mine plus the front latch was a bit sticky. I made sure the bulb worked, tested for voltage and found that it switches ground, anyways long story short. sprayed WD40 into the front latch and inadvertently got it into the microswitch. The front trunk light has worked ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

I used your WD40 technique. I sprayed the latch and still no light. Used the front trunk many times over the next week. Still no light. Then, for unknow reasons the light began to work and has been working fine for the past few days. Weird? But, I don't care as long as it works. Thanks for the easy fix.

Eric

I had the same problem with mine plus the front latch was a bit sticky. I made sure the bulb worked, tested for voltage and found that it switches ground, anyways long story short. sprayed WD40 into the front latch and inadvertently got it into the microswitch. The front trunk light has worked ever since.

• Admin

Loren;

When locking the doors (setting the alarm), the parking lights flash and I get one beep. Hood light/latch work fine. Any ideas what the one beep might signify?

So much useful information here....

TIA

One beep means one or more alarm zone is open. You will need Durametric, a PST2, or PIWIS to find out which zone - unless you are lucky enough to guess right.

• 1 month later...

Ok, Try to figure this one out. I too had the sticking latch isssue with my '99 Carrera Cab. Took the latch out, took the micro switch off the latch, put a little torque on the spring end to give it a little more "spring". Put the microswitch back on and reinstalled the latch in the car. Latch works like it did before it got stuck (not great, but good enough). New problem -- one beep when setting the alarm that I did not have before, and now the trunk light comes on with the hood latched but won't work when the hood is open. Anyone have any ideas? I've taken out the hood light bulb to keep the battery from running down. Is the microswitch now screwed up too? Loren -- any suggestions?? Is time to buy a new latch and microswitch, or is there some gremlin at work here?

Loren- do you mean one beep from the horn? Mine has done that since I got it. Well I guess I will put that on the list, but right now it is low on the list.

Yes, it beeps the horn - once for open zone(s) or twice for an alarm system fault.

Just a quick question here...when closing the hood, one should drop it from about a foot or so. Is it normal that you then need to push on the hood to get it to completely close? Thats what the previous owner told me to do. Seems odd. Just wondering if this is the cause of my fault that I can't seem to find.

Thanks,

Just a quick question here...when closing the hood, one should drop it from about a foot or so. Is it normal that you then need to push on the hood to get it to completely close? Thats what the previous owner told me to do. Seems odd. Just wondering if this is the cause of my fault that I can't seem to find.

Thanks,

Don't do that.

Don't drop the hood from anywhere.

Just guide it until the latch catches, then use the palm of you hand push the area near the edge of the hood. About 4-5 inches down from the emblem.

You won't dent your hood this way and involves no dropping.

...and now the trunk light comes on with the hood latched but won't work when the hood is open...

Could not help asking - how do you know the light is on when the hood is closed? :P

Also, not sure if non-cab's do this but on my Boxster I get a single beep if the center console is not closed all the way.

Edited by UtahWJR

• Moderators

The hood work the same way, if the light stays on inside the trunk after closing the hood, caused by a missing/faulty or poorly installed micro switch, the systems act as zone open, in this specific example the hood, a single beep will be heard.

• 2 weeks later...

Those little bulbs get HOT!! - I felt it after I raised the hood. I've given up and ordered a new latch/switch from Gaudin JPAM and will install this weekend. Loren - any recommendation for the correct torque on the two hex head screws that hold the latch? They are pretty small so I don't imagine they need much.

...and now the trunk light comes on with the hood latched but won't work when the hood is open...

Could not help asking - how do you know the light is on when the hood is closed? :P

Also, not sure if non-cab's do this but on my Boxster I get a single beep if the center console is not closed all the way.

I went through the process above to R/R the the latch and microswitch. The writeup was very helpful. The switch was incredibly dirty and needed a lot of attention. IMHO, the design is completely flawed in that the switch will fail with the intrusion of very little dirt or debris.

After all of that, I discovered that the microswitch on my console is having issues. It appears as though it has slid downwards over time or the metal contact has become depressed. Rather than taking apart the whole console, I am going to super glue a small piece of plastic to the switch contact to effectively raise up the contact point. I'll let you know if I am successful.