Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Carrera Manual problems starting - cranking

I have a 997.1 Carrera from Oct. 2005 with 50K miles.

Lately my car began having a hard time starting up. The engine would begin turning, crank for a few times and then start.

That happened for maybe a month until got to the point where starting was taking more than normal and then finally did not start.

Luckily the is a hill (one of two hills in Houston) next to my apt, so I was able to put the car on first and use the slope to start.

When this happen, I took the car to AutoZone and got the battery recharged.

The car was starting better than ever!!! It did not think twice, perfect starts.

That lasted for a week, today the car began having problems again and it will likely not start in the next few days.

So I took the car again to AutoZone, the guy checked the car with a voltmeter and said that the problem was not the battery, but the alternator.

I went online searching for alternator and procedures on how to get it done.

While doing some research I’ve learned that there is a common problem with the 997.1, the cable loom. Apparently there was even a service campaign to replace ()

Now the question is, how do I know if it is the cable or the alternator?

Also, is this something covered by Porsche based on the link above? If not, any idea of cost?

As far as the car, the only problem is to start…when it has started everything works fine, it does not try to die, nothing…like if there is no problem.

Also, before starting everything is also fine…radio, lights, alarm, etc…

Help!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a service action for '05 Carreras where some of the wiring to the alternator is substandard and needs to be replaced. Takes a few hours at the dealer. My dealer didn't charge me, even after the warranty was over

If your car is 5 years old and still has the original battery, you might want to also check the battery. Even though they look like maintenance free batteries, they aren't. Peel off the sticker covering the caps and check how low the water is. Chances are after 5 years your battery is very thirsty!

No disrespect to your autozone guy but a test with a voltmeter won't tell if the battery is still good. E.g. You could have a bad cell. It would still read 12.5 V without load, it just would not be that once you ask it to put out the current required to start. How old is the battery? If it's the original it is right on schedule to fail. My car is September 05 build date and my battery just died 2 months ago. Same symptoms as you describe. Would not start, was able to recharge. But not for long. There's a slight chance you have some other problem. So you've got choices here - you can get you battery capacity tested properly, have the car serviced or just replace the battery. Chances are you swap the battery and have the fun restored for years to come.

Edited by jaybart

Sounds like the alternator cable. The 997-2 has a bigger

cable then the 997-1. You can try sanding the post that the cable

ties to. It is under the car on the pasenger side where the motor meets

the transmission. A lot of road dirt gets to the contact.

Paul

Over the weekend I lifted my car and look at the connections under it but could not see much, but I'm not sure if I was able to find the location that Paul mentioned.

Today I took my car to a local mechanic. After having the car all day, he told me that everything looks fine. He ran tests on the charging system and battery and everything was good.

At this point my guess is battery, maybe a cell is bad and not charging correctly. The next time that the battery get low and I begin having problems (probably in 2 weeks) I will take it to Pep Boys for replacement, since it has 3yr warranty.

P.S.I called the local dealer and asked how much would be to replace the "cable loom"...$1300!!! Local mechanic, $500...funny.

If your car is a tiptronic, The mechanics go under the car and pop the

pin that holds the cable to the top of the transmission with a very

long piece of metal. There is a big transmission

cooler on top of the trans that makes replacing the cable

extremly hard.

A manual is easier but still requires removing the air intake on top

of the motor.

Either price looks right.

Paul

Over the weekend I lifted my car and look at the connections under it but could not see much, but I'm not sure if I was able to find the location that Paul mentioned.

Today I took my car to a local mechanic. After having the car all day, he told me that everything looks fine. He ran tests on the charging system and battery and everything was good.

At this point my guess is battery, maybe a cell is bad and not charging correctly. The next time that the battery get low and I begin having problems (probably in 2 weeks) I will take it to Pep Boys for replacement, since it has 3yr warranty.

P.S.I called the local dealer and asked how much would be to replace the "cable loom"...$1300!!! Local mechanic, $500...funny.

Paul,

Mine is manual. Are you saying that is that simple (just removing air intake) to replace the cable on a manual? If replacing the battery does not work, do you think that it is simple enough that someone with very little experience could do it?

PS Thank you very much for all your responses and help!!!

It is not a job for someone with very little experience. It is

very hard job to do.

I would sand the plate that the cable connects to under the car.

Jack up the car and stick a jack stand under the car.. Disconnect the battery.

Undo the nut with a 11mm or 13mm(I do not remember the size). Then sand the

plate and the alternator cable.

I have incluced a picture with an arrow where the plate is. It is on the passenger side.

Paul

post-13642-099414900 1287001997_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

I'm starting to have the same problem again (and I'm not surprised).

I will probably take a look under the car this weekend. Now, the last time that I did this I found in a number of places (mainly on the passenger side, maybe a foot from edge of car) two pipes (assuming with cable inside) attached to the car by a "sponge" like material (1-2inches long), but I did not see any plates. I will check where you have on the picture above, apparently on passenger side, near center.

Couple questions; I only need to remove the plastic protection under the car and I will be able to see it? Also, can I use a battery cleaner spray?

Thank you very much for all your help on this.

Regards,

The alternator cable drops down from the top of the transmission and connects to a plate. I

would assume that the other wire to the plate is the wire from the battery.

I would get the wires off the plate and then sand the plate. I think the plate

is copper so it sands real quick.

The plate is so low that it picks up alot of road dirt. Maybe the sponge material fell

off my car.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Paul,

I was able to get under the car and I believe that I found what you said (mounted to the transmission on the passenger side) but appear to be very clean. I'm trying to upload the picture but I can't. Could you send me your email so I can send you the pictures. I can't find an upload button, it is asking me for a URL! I don't know how to do this...

Edited by leocanto

Hi!

Where exactly is that little box located? I have a very slow crank when the car is hot (perfect in the mornings when the car is cold!) but I don't know where is that box... did you have to remove any airflow panels underneath? did it fix your problem? I was about to buy a new starter relay.

thanks in advance!

joel

post-55108-0-98259400-1292111366_thumb.jI think I got it.

post-55108-0-49012100-1292111106_thumb.j

It is not a job for someone with very little experience. It is

very hard job to do.

I would sand the plate that the cable connects to under the car.

Jack up the car and stick a jack stand under the car.. Disconnect the battery.

Undo the nut with a 11mm or 13mm(I do not remember the size). Then sand the

plate and the alternator cable.

I have incluced a picture with an arrow where the plate is. It is on the passenger side.

Paul

post-13642-099414900%201287001997_thumb.jpg

Paul

Hi!

Where exactly is that little box located? I have a very slow crank when the car is hot (perfect in the mornings when the car is cold!) but I don't know where is that box... did you have to remove any airflow panels underneath? did it fix your problem? I was about to buy a new starter relay.

thanks in advance!

joel

post-55108-0-98259400-1292111366_thumb.jI think I got it.

post-55108-0-49012100-1292111106_thumb.j

The little box should be located on the passenger side of the transmission. It is a plastic black box (maybe 2 inches long) that you have to open to see the cables, as on picture.

My issue is that apparently my charging system is not working properly. I was hoping that it was just a manner of cleaning the connections. But apparently it is more than that since it was fairly clean and I still have the same problem.

As for location, you have to remove the first under carriage cover (over the rear axle) and you should be able to see mounted to the passenger side of the transmission. This could solve your problem…but did not solve mine.

My problem is that my battery is not getting charged fast enough after starting the car…therefore, if my car does not rest (or run for a while) before stopping it will not start again. The battery does not have enough juice to start. Battery was replaced but it is not the problem.

Paul, do you know if replacing the voltage regulator on the alternator could potentially solve the problem?

Regards,