Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DME / Immobilizer Problem

Thanks but the beep is not my problem so to speak.

"What I want to know is does the beep sound generated from the immobilizer telling me it is working? And does it have a external fuse?"

Edited by Mother

Loren,

The reason is because my DME was reprogrammed with IPAS codes for original vin and used DME and vin and security IPAS codes from another car but will not turn car over and was thinking it was done improperly. Just trying to rule out immobilizer.

Edited by Mother

I don't know if this answers your question, but the alarm module can only be programmed with an immobilser code once. The DME will have to be programmed with the same immobilser code as the alarm module.

The single beep from the alarm horn is only warning of an open compartment, as Loren says.

I don't know if this answers your question, but the alarm module can only be programmed with an immobilizer code once. The DME will have to be programmed with the same immobilizer code as the alarm module.

The single beep from the alarm horn is only warning of an open compartment, as Loren says.

Yes, the DME was programmed with the codes from the proper VIN car matching the immobilizer code, however car still not trying to turn over. I am trying to establish problem by ruling out that it is receiving the immobilizer code to the DME. I suspect that there was a problem when programmed. Edited by Mother

If you can get it hooked up to a PST2, PIWIS, or Durametric, the DME should throw up fault code P1570 if the codes don't match.

Going back to the question about fuses, I think you will find that there is a small fuse in the alarm module itself. May be worth checking.

If you can get it hooked up to a PST2, PIWIS, or Durametric, the DME should throw up fault code P1570 if the codes don't match.

Going back to the question about fuses, I think you will find that there is a small fuse in the alarm module itself. May be worth checking.

Thanks for the Tips. Well with my Durametric I get no fault codes and can read the correct DME/Vin information of car. If I am correct just connecting to the DME via Durametric tells me that the Immobilizer is working.

Edited by Mother

Thanks for the Tips. Well with my Durametric I get no fault codes and can read the correct DME/Vin information of car. If I am correct just connecting to the DME via Durametric tells me that the Immobilizer is working.

You would be able to connect to the DME with your Durametric, even if the immobiliser (which is contained within the alarm module) was active. You could connect to the DME even if the alarm module wasn't connected at all.

However, if you aren't getting any fault codes, I can only assume that the immobiliser isn't your problem. (Or the Durametric can't read that fault). Does the fuel pump run? If it does not, that would be a sign that the immobiliser is active. The immobiliser inhibits cranking, ignition, and the fuel pump.

• Admin

Richard is correct. I can and have wired a DME on my bench, power it with a 12 volt supply, and then connect to it with a PST2. It doesn't even have to be in the car.

That is also how Durametric tests their software. DME on a bench.

Thanks for the reply's and do believe that the Immo is working since it was not the problem to begin with. I use FVD tuning software for my tuning but get a error during software Login " Incorrect Security Access" When trying to install Original Stock file that worked, I however at this time can install the tuning file which programs specifics timing, afr etc but I believe does not carry the IPAS codes for starting.

What does bricking DME mean?

Can the DME be reset?

If I let Porsche reprogram the DME should I take the whole car or just the DME.

Edited by Mother

Does the fuel pump run? If it does not, that would be a sign that the immobiliser is active. The immobiliser inhibits cranking, ignition, and the fuel pump.

Lost with that did you mean that if the fuel pump works then the immo is working? Edited by Mother

1. What does bricking DME mean?

2. Can the DME be reset?

3. If I let Porsche reprogram the DME should I take the whole car or just the DME.

1. Bricking means it's toast. I've done that to a DME before with aftermarket flash software. In other words you've fried the eeprom (flash memory). The only hope for the DME is to have it sent to a shop such as http://www.protomotive.com and have them desolder the flash chip to repair the software, then resolder it.

2. A DME can be reflashed. If you can't reflash it with a PST2, reference above statement.

3. A dealer will probably not touch it with a ten foot pole unless it it in your car and you claim "ignorance".

Lost with that did you mean that if the fuel pump works then the immo is working?

Correct. Having fried a DME myself (at the immo code part), I can vouch that a partially bricked DME will not fire the car, and one of the symptoms can be cranking but no fuel or spark (if the DME doesn't have the right immo code or bad immo code or corrupt immo code). The no fuel or spark part is the immobilizer. Isn't it nice?

1. Ouch!

2. I can flash with a new tune file. I did notice that a tuning file seems to write to different areas of the memory I assume timing, AFR etc. But the original file I think writes it all along with the security key codes etc I assume this is why I get error "incorrect secuity access" when trying to program.

3. After reading my posts I can definitely claim ignorance.

Edited by Mother

Lost with that did you mean that if the fuel pump works then the immo is working?

Correct. Having fried a DME myself (at the immo code part), I can vouch that a partially bricked DME will not fire the car, and one of the symptoms can be cranking but no fuel or spark (if the DME doesn't have the right immo code or bad immo code or corrupt immo code). The no fuel or spark part is the immobilizer. Isn't it nice?

I listened for the fuel pump in trunk, but the only thing I could here is the SC intercooler water pump going. Tried opening fuel cap to listen but just heard humming of water pump. So not sure.

Edited by Mother

2. I can flash with a new tune file. I did notice that a tuning file seems to write to different areas of the memory I assume timing, AFR etc. But the original file I think writes it all along with the security key codes etc I assume this is why I get error "incorrect secuity access" when trying to program.

3. After reading my posts I can definitely claim ignorance.

2. If you can re-flash with tuned software you are probably OK then. I would want to see if the DME take a re-flash of a stock program. If I remember reading right aren't you creating some sort of frankenstein car with an engine from one year, and various bits and pieces? It would help if you describe more exactly what you are doing and what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds to me like there is some component in the car not agreeing with the codes in the DME and what it should expect from immo and alarm modules.

3. If you bring it to a dealer likely they will just want to sell you a new DME if they can't re-flash yours. If you drive a frankenstein-mobile in though, there's no telling what they would say.

I listened for the fuel pump in trunk, but the only thing I could here is the SC intercooler water pump going. Tried opening fuel cap to listen but just heard humming of water pump. So not sure.

To ensure the fuel pump is working, if you have a fuel pressure tester you can connect to the Schroeder valve on the fuel rail and test for fuel pressure, or just connect a leak free hose to it and see if it pumps oil into a container safely (which you can then pour back into your gas tank).

You can test for spark by disconnecting a spark plug lead and connecting a suitable multi-meter. Have a helper crank the engine.

One or both of these tests might help you understand if the problem you face is related to the DME or immobilizer.