Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just in accident; able to be repaired or write off?

I was just rear end; air bag came out, engine light, battery light etc; power steering gone yet car still started.

Do you know if insurance decides to repair car do they typically repair after market items like the spoiler?

If they write off car, do they add the value of the upgrades or a portion ( ie HRE rims, Bilstien lowering kit, spoiler etc)?

post-1-0-91421000-1425050246_thumb.jpg post-1-0-05607500-1425050250_thumb.jpg post-1-0-75635800-1425050252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loren
Roated images for better viewing

dominic,

sorry to hear and see.  probably somebody texting.  it has gotten out of control.

can't help you much re: what insurance will do/not do for you.  Just hope it gets done to YOUR satisfaction.  Be vigilant.

Any Renntechers that can help our friend?

Sorry about your accident. Other driver should obviously be at fault. Was police report filed? Was the other driver ticketed?

Everything regarding your insurance claim is negotiable. Present them facts, comps, and receipts for all mods and recent maintenance. Don't accept first offer or 3rd offer, stay vigilant, and negotiate until you're satisfied.

I hope no injuries.

Oh, and don't try starting the motor anymore, until done so by a qualified Porsche shop.

If the frame is damaged, it will be salvaged for sure, since the repairs become increasingly more expensive in ratio to the car's value. In light of the fact that the airbags blew, this is also a very strong indication the will be totaled too, again for the same reasons.......repair costs.

Once the car has been determined to be a total loss, your case will be assigned to a different department within your insurance company. Total losses are typically handled by a dedicated staff. They will low-ball you. Again, negotiate with facts and a cool calm demeanor. Have comps ready. Have all your receipts ready. Have fair market prices and photos of your mods and upgrades.

Start shopping for your next 911 and make lemonade.

Edited by White987S

Around here (ottawa, canada) aftermarket modifications are not covered unless you have special coverage for them.

Surprised though, very little damage for a car that ended up upside down [emoji14]

I'm no body guy but looking at that damage, looks like it can be fixed. Hopefully the impact did not get to the engine or bent the frame.

Edited by AWDGuy

Hi: there were 4 cars involved and I was in the middle so liability shouldn't be an issue; I purchased the car with many of the upgrades probably over $20K just for the rims/tires/suspension/spoiler/exhaust etc...

What do you do if you do not have receipts for aftermarket items

Its being towed to Porsche dealer collision shop which is actually a preferred vendor for the insurance company; insurance adjuster is going to view there.

If insurance decides to repair, what happens in regards to the spoiler as example; its after market; do they try to buy a new one or repair the existing or state its aftermarket and they will install factory spoiler

Thanks for the help

I know how you feel, I had lost My Z3M, a garbage truck making a left turn ran a red light. His insurance company quit talking to me trying to get my car replaced, total loss. Got an attorney, waiting for things to happen I had my insurance replace the car, they covered the new tires, HID angel eyes, I-Phone interface, sound system, and coil overs. but I couldn't find a mileage replacement for there price. Got a Mazda 3 for my wife, she was working and I was laid up. After the Attorneys got though got my 996! Bucket list number 1.

Check your own policy, check with your auto agent, and a Lawyer.

Hi: there were 4 cars involved and I was in the middle so liability shouldn't be an issue; I purchased the car with many of the upgrades probably over $20K just for the rims/tires/suspension/spoiler/exhaust etc...

What do you do if you do not have receipts for aftermarket items

Its being towed to Porsche dealer collision shop which is actually a preferred vendor for the insurance company; insurance adjuster is going to view there.

If insurance decides to repair, what happens in regards to the spoiler as example; its after market; do they try to buy a new one or repair the existing or state its aftermarket and they will install factory spoiler

Thanks for the help

Why are you so concerned about your rear spoiler. Your car is likely totaled. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm no expert, but if you hit a car in front of you, you are at fault, too, for that car.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people see a doctor right away about possible injuries to get more leverage. Sad, but insurance companies seem to respond better to that. There are time limits to see the doctor in some states. Maybe because people went later because they were unhappy with insurance company offers for car damage.

So insurance company towed car to their total loss yard and had it for a week; they had an estimate for $12K; 7 hours to straighten frame; they stated in their eyes the car is repairable and not a loss.

I don't want a Porsche that has a bent frame; the car will never handle and drive like it used to.

So what are my options now; take it to another body shop for another estimate; do I have any recourse not to want to have my car repaired.

I was also told my insurance company that they determine a loss if cost to repair is over 80% of value; I thought it was closer to 50%; seems to me they are now increasing to 80% not to call it a total loss.

Sucks that you had a beautiful car in excellent condition and now they just want to slop it back together.

Edited by Dominic123

I wouldn't stress too much about a frame repair as long as the shop is doing it has the right equipment and know how to do so. my car was in a 40k hit in 2005 (it's an 02) & you would never be able to tell. the technology and process exists today to bring the car back 100%. the car will still be beautiful. I also own a lexus IS, same thing....was in a major accident in 2009, & you would never be able to tell. drives straight and true.

resale though....it's going to be a pain. make sure you have receipts so you can show the potential buyer exactly what happened.

Edited by AWDGuy

So insurance company towed car to their total loss yard and had it for a week; they had an estimate for $12K; 7 hours to straighten frame; they stated in their eyes the car is repairable and not a loss.

I don't want a Porsche that has a bent frame; the car will never handle and drive like it used to.

So what are my options now; take it to another body shop for another estimate; do I have any recourse not to want to have my car repaired.

I was also told my insurance company that they determine a loss if cost to repair is over 80% of value; I thought it was closer to 50%; seems to me they are now increasing to 80% not to call it a total loss.

Sucks that you had a beautiful car in excellent condition and now they just want to slop it back together.

7 Hours to straighten the frame? That seems low. They should need to remove and replace the motor. That's 20 hours right there. Are they quoting it with engine removal? Ask them how are they going to straighten the frame with the motor in? If it's a rear frame rail, the motor needs to come out.

Yes, years ago the "magic number" was about 50". Now it is much closer to the 80% number they told you.

Do they have the airbags in the quote?

Who's repair quote is this? The insurance? Or the repair facility? Once the repair facility quotes the damage repairs, it will exceed $12K.

I went through this a few years ago with my boxster, and ended up in a C4S, so I'm not complaining.

First, in every state that I'm aware of, you have the right to have your car repaired at the shop of your choice.  Once they've agreed that it's not a total loss, you should have it towed to the nearest Porsche dealer or high-end repair shop and have them do it.  They will almost certainly offer a warranty.  If the car comes out of the process not to your satisfaction, then drive it to the next nearest Porsche dealer and trade it in.  Since it is repairable, you won't get a salvage title, and the car will retain most of its value.  However, you may also be able to make a "diminished value" claim for any residual impact.

Your other option is to take the cash for the repair estimate and the car, and sell the car as-is, and buy something new.  In your case I doubt that is a better deal, but you may have an uncomfortable feeling about this car -- it happens often after people have been in accidents.

If you assiduously list all of the after-market stuff on the car, they'll take that into account for the repair or total loss calculations.  However, in my case, I had to challenge the initial total loss assessment and get an independent adjuster, who upped the total loss value of my car by over 50%.  This is also a right you have in most states.

You may want to get on the phone to your state's insurance division and ask for some advice.

• 6 months later...

Thanks everyone for the input.

The car was totaled approx 5 months ago; that was an awesome 996 and had some great memories; she had approx 176K miles on original engine and still ran strong to the day.

I did purchase a 2010 Porsche Panamera turbo and getting adjusted to the new ride.

post-59175-0-87307600-1443668463_thumb.j

Thanks everyone for the input.

The car was totaled approx 5 months ago; that was an awesome 996 and had some great memories; she had approx 176K miles on original engine and still ran strong to the day.

I did purchase a 2010 Porsche Panamera turbo and getting adjusted to the new ride.

attachicon.gifused-2010-porsche-panamera-4drhatchbackturbo-811-13163798-5-1024.jpg

Nice 4 door turbo 911.:)