Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

SF Bay Area Automotive Locksmith for Key duplication

Greetings. New forum member here. My 3/98 build date  996 C2 needs a spare key. I would  like to find a  Automotive Locksmith who can  duplicate  and  reprogram the new key.So far I have struck out in Marin County and San Francisco. Would love to find a Auto Locksmith able to that. Any leads ? TIA

If I remember correctly when I had to replace a damaged door lock I had to give the Porsche dealer my VIN and the lock to my car came from Germany.  Maybe the same for a key?  Ya, your ACE key man isn't going to get it done for you...

You need a trip to the stealership. 

I had to replace a key earlier this year. 

Bring your credit card and a hanky.  Look for about $400 or so.

(ps:  folks at Sonnen in Mill Valley were great and very helpful) 

Edited by judgejon
wanted to note nice folks at Sonner dealership

Agree...a trip to a Porsche dealer is necessary.  Besides cutting the laser cut key, the key has an RFID pill that needs to be programmed to the security system of the car, and to the best of my knowledge only a Porsche dealer can get the security code from Stuttgart.  Good idea to have a second key.  It will be expensive but in the end worth it.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:02 PM, Augustus Barone said:

Thanks folks. As a MBZ driver I have been through that rigmarole before. Off to the dealer  I go.

Hi, Augustus,

As the 996 turns 20 years old, the keyfob problem has become a bigger issue with owners. Many try DIY hacks found online only to find out they've wasted their time. I've been down this road many times, and end up swallowing my pride and getting the dealership to program new keys at the tune of around $300 - $400 per key. I've owned BMW, Volvo, and other modern cars with keyfobs, but of course, Porsche is different how they handle this type of request (i.e. new keyfobs) With BMW, I had to take my title and ID to the dealership for verification, then they faxed copies to BMW and new keys were sent from Germany preprogrammed and ready to go. But BMW was adamant, you must prove ownership by an official title (not copy) and driver's license.

Anyway, I ran into the same problem with my 996. But Porsche requires the car and at least ONE working keyfob. If you're a new customer, you may have to show proof of ownership too. Let me cut to the chase here... it was my understanding that if you don't have at least one working keyfob, then Porsche will require you to purchase a new security module. Basically, you go from about $300 to well over $2000 for the service. I spoke to two people that had to paid Porsche $4,000+ for a new immobilizer/alarm module and two new keys to get the car to work properly again. Unfortunately, the owner(s) only had one keyfob they thought worked, went to get the car out of storage, and it would not allow access to the car. The owner(s) then tried the laser cut key to open it manually only to have the alarm to go off and the car go into lock-down mode. Porsche lock-down mode is code for... "nope, I don't think so dummy!" This system even locks out Porsche service techs from making simple keyfob duplicates which means the only option is to replace the security module and program new keys.  

I'm assuming when you say "spare key", you mean you have at least one working keyfob, right?

Let us know how it turns out.

Yes, exactly right.  

when spouse lost keys it meant trip to  stealership with car and remaining key.  Had to order key in advance giving vin info etc.   once at dealership only took about 30 min.  Only problem was we live about 4 hours from dealer.  Made a nice day out of it though.  

for Lexus key lost at same time, I had our second key with me and we simply stopped at Lexus dealership on way home from trip and they did up a new key in under an hour.  And for under half cost of 996 key.

just something to factor into Porsche ownership necessities as needed.  

Same sad story over on Rennlist.  Guy had his one and only Porsche key stolen from his other car.  Ordered new key blades through Porsche with the VIN number.  Got new key fobs and tried to have the Porsche dealer program the keys to the car's security system.  Could not add the keys  to the security system, and could not remove programmed keys from the security system because they did not have the original key and key code.  Bottom line - new security module for $1900, plus new key fobs, plus programming.

Porsche was certainly good at setting up a secure security system for our cars.  So word of advice - always have two working keys that are programmed to the security system.  If you only have one working key, and you lose it or it gets stolen, that's a +$2500 mistake.  Better to spend $350-400 for a new working key.

20 minutes ago, DBJoe996 said:

Same sad story over on Rennlist.  Guy had his one and only Porsche key stolen from his other car.  Ordered new key blades through Porsche with the VIN number.  Got new key fobs and tried to have the Porsche dealer program the keys to the car's security system.  Could not add the keys  to the security system, and could not remove programmed keys from the security system because they did not have the original key and key code.  Bottom line - new security module for $1900, plus new key fobs, plus programming.

Porsche was certainly good at setting up a secure security system for our cars.  So word of advice - always have two working keys that are programmed to the security system.  If you only have one working key, and you lose it or it gets stolen, that's a +$2500 mistake.  Better to spend $350-400 for a new working key.

Bingo! You nailed it, Joe! 

I'm not blowing smoke here and I don't think the advice Porsche gave me was BS either. Basically, they say, "never own a Porsche 996 with just one working keyfob"... that is, always have a working backup to make new keyfobs. I'm sure there are some computer geeks that have learned some ECU code voodoo, but for the rest of us, it means traveling to the dealership. 

Think about it folks... we're talking $300 - $400 for a very exclusive sports car. (heck, I just paid $300 for two plastic wheel liners!) That's a cheap form of insurance. And, this is not ya daddy's ol' Chevy. The 996 is still a very modern machine and it's my understanding the security aspect of these cars were engineered to prevent even the rotten applies at the dealerships from stealing these cars. Yep, believe it or not, there are some people out there that would love to make money under the table at elite dealerships like Porsche. 

My 996 brethren, don't be the next victim (sounds like a television PSA doesn't it?), always have two working keyfobs. When one goes bad, then suck it up butter cup and go purchase a replacement with the other working keyfob. Don't be stupid and drive around with just one key. Word up!

• 7 months later...

If both keys work to unlock the car and both keys work to start the car, then that is okay.  The RFID pill in the key is passive, meaning it does not require power but is still read by the key surround to allow the car to start.  At the age of our cars (close to 20 years old) and thus the age of our key fobs, more than likely the circuit board in the key(s) have given up and don't work the remote lock/unlock anymore.  If you can live with using the key to manually lock/unlock the car, and don't want to fork over $400 at the dealership for a working remote key that will last for 4-5 years, then it is okay as long as both start the car.

Upon purchase I received one battered key with a working remote fob and one no-remote valet key with my '02 996.

Seller swore he would mail along the second working remote key from its secret hidden location. Hah!

The one remote fob died on the trip home. New battery did not resurrect. 

After wasting countless hours on fruitless research I finally purchased two new RFID "Master Key Remote" fobs installed on the existing keys from Sunset for $459.

$153 each for the shiny new RFID remote heads and $152 labor.  No registration or ID required. Merry Christmas!

Personally never had any remote fob fail (besides batteries) on any Ford, Mazda or Toyota products in the family since remote fobs were invented.

Porsches are unique and amazing and not in a good way... 

Edited by Kevin Bryck
typo

Welcome to the forum.  

Yes, you are certainly right.  But you can still go 125 mph and know you could go faster.  And do curves too.  

The keys likely have to be coded by your local stealership and not for cheap.  

Enjoy.  It’s truly an earned pleasure.