Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spoiler warning light

andymac

Yesterday I was just coming onto a motorway and the spoiler was on its way up and then the spoiler warning light came on. It then didn't come back down when I slowed down. When I got home I used the spolier button to raise and lower the spoiler which worked fine ?

It cant be the hydraulics so is it the relay switches inside the car ?

Is this a common problem?

And the most important question is it covered under warranty ?

Cheers

Andy

Does it always work with the manual switch?

If so you can rule out the hydraulics.

If you car is under warranty then it should be covered.

Yes the manual switch works. I'm going to give it a quick clean with some light oil and see how I get on.

If that doesn't work it's off to the opc.

Andy

I don't understand... if the spoiler always works with the manual switch then the hydraulics of the spoiler are fine and don't need anything.

Chances are you have an intermittent microswitch on the spoiler.

Had a look at it today and it looked a bit dirty. Gave it a squirt of wd40, wiped it off and that got all the grime off. Put a very light layer of oil on it. Took it out for a blast today and its fine. No warning lights.

Will keep an eye on any grit getting caught on it.

Thanks again

Andy

• 7 months later...
I don't understand... if the spoiler always works with the manual switch then the hydraulics of the spoiler are fine and don't need anything.

Chances are you have an intermittent microswitch on the spoiler.

Loren

Mine's got stuck again. As soon as I got home I tried using the manual switch and this worked.

Where do these microswitches live and what is the part number

Cheers

Andy

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Follow the harness - items 11 and 12.

post-1-1216307125_thumb.png

Loren and wross,

Do these drawings work for 2000 996 Cab.

We were hit on the rear quarter panel, driver's side, while the car was parked.

The body work was done well but the rear spoiler has the following issue:

works up and down with button-

but only goes up at ~70 not down at ~4mph; then when I exit the vehicle it is in the up position.

The body shop had Porsche look at it and they are saying $1200 for new actuator - the only way to get the sensors changed is to buy the actuator assembly. So of course insurance is saying the accident did not cause this so they will not pay and I am certaily not paying $1200!

THX

Rick

• Admin

None of the spoiler mechanical changed during the 996TT production run.

You can check the microswitches with a PST2 or PIWIS tester to see if they are functioning properly.

If it works with the switch then it should work automatically. Check the connectors and the wring since there was accident damage.

Also, check relay 9 (spoiler retraction) (behind the rear seat panel with the DME).

You can check the microswitches with a PST2 or PIWIS tester to see if they are functioning properly.

If it works with the switch then it should work automatically. Check the connectors and the wring since there was accident damage.

Also, check relay 9 (spoiler retraction) (behind the rear seat panel with the DME).

Loren, Thank you very much - clarify before i check those items mentioned - i have a 200 996 cabriolet - Not a 996 Turbo!

Thank you again,

• Admin

Loren, Thank you very much - clarify before i check those items mentioned - i have a 200 996 cabriolet - Not a 996 Turbo!

Thank you again,

Then the answer is - no, a completely different mechanism. You posted in the 996 Turbo section.

Best ask your question in the 996 Carrera section.

• 2 weeks later...

The spoiler failure light came on today after getting past 70mph. I see in the rear view mirror that the spoiler did come up. And when I slowed below 20mph, the spoiler went down again.

Do I have a microswitch problem?

I noticed that the bottoms of the 2 rams are damp with some sort of fluid. Not dripping just damp. Is this related? Is there any preventative maintenance I can do to avoid needing to replace the rams?

Edit: It's a 2002 996TT

Edited by Boxxy

• Admin
The spoiler failure light came on today after getting past 70mph. I see in the rear view mirror that the spoiler did come up. And when I slowed below 20mph, the spoiler went down again.

Do I have a microswitch problem?

I noticed that the bottoms of the 2 rams are damp with some sort of fluid. Not dripping just damp. Is this related? Is there any preventative maintenance I can do to avoid needing to replace the rams?

Edit: It's a 2002 996TT

The spoiler switches can easily be tested with a PST2 or PIWIS tester.

Where are you located - perhaps another member can help you.

I've read somewhere,(may be on 6speed), two members use ticker oil and fix the problem of leaking. Right now , I think your spoiler did not deploy completely because of missing fluid and the switch give you a fault because not contacting in full extend position. You need, first to fix the leak, and after refill and bleed the system.... This problem is well known and many people got no other solution than replacing the faulty units.... Also I read somewhere that you can buy only the rams..... To save money I suggest to do some research in both forum Renntech and 6speed. Good luck, J.P.

Thank guys.

Will a Durametric help me read out what the switches are saying? I am fast thinking of getting one and this maybe a reason that pushes me over.

I'll be garaging it for the winter in less than a month and so maybe this will be a winter-time project (to dissect the rams and figure this out).

Hey Guys,

Glad this thread is back alive. I have the same problem. I'm getting a spoiler control failure everytime my spoiler goes up. I'm in sunnyvale, CA. Is there any member in the area that could help test my microswitches?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Thank guys.

Will a Durametric help me read out what the switches are saying? I am fast thinking of getting one and this maybe a reason that pushes me over.

I'll be garaging it for the winter in less than a month and so maybe this will be a winter-time project (to dissect the rams and figure this out).

No Durametric will only erase the message and you will get the spoiler function back until the next failure... The only way is to see what happen, on the right ram you got the switch assembly and you can see if it is contacting or not if you remove the small plastic cap. Look at "wross996TT" post with the picture of this unit....

• 1 year later...

Just adding something to this old chain, since I just had a similar problem and it may help someone. My warning light has been coming on every single morning as my spoiler hits top. Spoiler operation has been fine, it goes up when it should, goes down when it should. Light only goes on first thing in the morning. The rest of the day no issues, no light.

I opened it up yesterday and looked at the micro switches (compared the top and bottom switch). Looking at the switches and knowing that the light only goes on when the spoiler goes up tells me that the bottom switch is failing (it's telling the system that the spoiler is down and at the same time the top switch was telling the system that the spoiler was up).

The bottom switch I could see was sticking a little. There is a little bend piece of metal that looks to act like a spring. and it's supposed to be bowed outward like this: [top ( bottom], but the bottom switch was like this instead: [ top ) bottom ]. I popped it outward and works great now.

I may need to replace the switches at some point, but at least I have a temp fix and I know what the problem is.

Hope that helps someone!