Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HI,

First of all thanks for this wonderful website. After doing some research here, i reached the conclusion that i need to check the plugs coils for damage( car stutter on low rpm). And to my surprise both of the coils that i removed(driver side) had the fine crack on them. I am ordering a full set of coils and plugs. Have the removal instructions for the driver side, i noticed that there is some kind of stabilizer on the passenger side cover, any special instructions to remove the passenger side cover to access the plugs ? Were there any recall for this issue since it seems very common ?

Thanks in advance.

Cayenne S 2004

Thanks for the advice.

Passenger side was more difficult than the driver side. Removing the cover was a pain as much as setting up the new coil/plug on the cylinder near the firewall. All my of my 8 coils were cracked, i wonder if the new ones are any better, they look the same with a different part number. The car runs much better now :) but i still have the check engine light on. DO you know how i can reset that ?

Regards

• Moderators

Hi

You need a PIWIS tester or similar tool too reset, at the same time give a look which code is still present, and try to fix it. Sorry for my poor English.

Regards

Thanks RFM for your replies,

The engine light just disappeared by itself :) , probably after a couple cycles it did not find no more ignition problem due to the coil/spark plug replacement. I heard that once the problem is fixed the light resets itself after a couple of startups but i was not sure. I read in this site that the obd2 software is a good one to own(read/resets obd codes). As for your english do not worry it is a good, je peux vous converser en Francais si vous le voulez. Merci encore. :renntech:

• Moderators

Hi

Great to hear that. It is correct that the engine check light put out by himself if there are no more fault codes stored. We speaks three

languages over here Dutch, French and German. I live in the Dutch part of the country. Indeed the Durametric is a handy tool to use.

Have fun with your Caeyenne.

Best Regards

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

New to the forum and love it. Thanks to all that contribute. I was curious if anyone can post some instructions on replacing spark plugs in an 04 Cayenne TT. Also what special tools are needed and what torque setting to put the new ones in at?

Thanks

RFM,

Not sure I am following, is this the instructions you are talking about;

Remove airpump

Remove attach

Remove cover (not so easy as the left side)

There are no recalls( in Europe ) part number changed several times.

Thought maybe there was a step by step. I don't want to mess it up. I noticed that benhurmx had talked about instructions for the drivers side, I looked around and couldn't find those.

• Moderators

This is the instruction for the right cylinder bank, the left side is the same without the attach. Change the coils if they are cracked.

Success.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info. Changed all of the plugs and Everything went smoothly... except when I was putting on the bolt for one of the coils. I hand tightened it then began to ratchet it on and unfortunately it was mis threaded. So now the top bit of the bolt and the whole have a mis-aligned thread. I have talked to several people about using a rethreading tap and die to fix these. Has anyone had experience with this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

RFM, Hi, and thanks so much for all your help and contributions to this great site. I am following your advice and preparing to change all the coils (in my 04 Cayenne S). One question, though, is there anything to be careful of or concerns when disconnecting the stabilizer bar on the passenger side, or is it just disconnect and reconnect when completed? Didn't want to lose engine alignment or anything. Thanks!

Indeed, simply disconnect and reconnect when completed, this have nothing to do witch engine alignment.

Hi, I have replaced all coils (& plugs), and am still having the "skaking" problem. My "mechanic" buddy says he thinks my problem is an intake gasket, as there's a hiss coming from the left side. I'm wondering if it could be the purge control valve, as mentioned before. Could you please tell me the location of this valve? I'd like to check it. I'm eager to get his thing running properly! Thank you again for all the help and follow-up!

• 8 months later...
  • Admin

:welcome:

TSB 16/07 2820 Bar Ignition Modules (Coils) -- dated Jul 5, 2007 states:

"Replace all installed bar ignition modules (Part No. 948.602.104.00 or 948.602.104.01) with modified bar ignition modules (Part No. 948.602.104.03)"

All TSBs are available here to view for our Contributing Members.

Recently I bought a set of ignition coil set for Suncoast Porsche Parts Dep. for my 2004 Cayenne S (V8)

It is made by Beru, part NO. 948.602.104.05

Is this the right parts for my car?

what's the difference between the .03 and .05 coils?

:welcome:

TSB 16/07 2820 Bar Ignition Modules (Coils) -- dated Jul 5, 2007 states:

"Replace all installed bar ignition modules (Part No. 948.602.104.00 or 948.602.104.01) with modified bar ignition modules (Part No. 948.602.104.03)"

All TSBs are available here to view for our Contributing Members.

• Admin
"Quietly" replaced? That's sort of suggestive of a covert operation. Was there something that was not quite right with the original?
Could have been just a vendor change - but there was no TSB or no update to the previous TSB which says to use .03.

• 3 months later...
This is the instruction for the right cylinder bank, the left side is the same without the attach. Change the coils if they are cracked.

Success.

I've taken some pictures of what to remove on the passenger side to replace the plugs and will post. Fairly simple with the only special tool being a T-55 attachment. Whole project is a DIY in 2-3 hours or so. On a side note, cracked coils do foul (most) plugs. Project cost with parts from Suncoast = $200.

Edited by wirunner

• 1 year later...