Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 flat battery & trunk release.

I was trying to help a friend get in a 996 with a flat battery yesterday. Yes, he's stupid and shut the bonnet with the battery disconnected!

I was under the impression there is a jack point somewhere in the drivers footwell (fuseboard?) that you can attach aux 12V to allow you to open the bonnet. So, where is it? We had a look at two seperate 996's and couldn't find where to attach an external 12V supply.

So does it exist and if so, where? Pictures would help :)

I know about operating the pull rod under the cover by sill and the emergency loop hiding inside the OS headlamp, but a powered solution is preferred if it does exist.

Oh, and a bonnet is what us English guys have in place of a trunk ;)

Well I have a 00' C4

If you have the manual out there is section on this.

I don't have pictures but should not be hard to find.

1) Open engine lid

2) Attach + side to a metal tounge.. (It has a + symbol on it and is located right side of compartment toward the top )

3) Attach - side to a large bolt (Located right side of where the lid latch is)

That will give you enough power to release the latch for the bonnet

Good luck :cheers:

Edited by evansaero

I jumpered a battery charger into the fuse panel at seat heat fuse source end, remember to turn the key on though.

CAUTION...!

If the disconnected battery positive terminal happens to be in body contact..........!!!

Don't use a battery, use a trickle charger for jumpering. That way if the positive side is perhaps grounded you won't MELT something.

I jumpered a battery charger into the fuse panel at seat heat fuse source end, remember to turn the key on though.

CAUTION...!

If the disconnected battery positive terminal happens to be in body contact..........!!!

Don't use a battery, use a trickle charger for jumpering. That way if the positive side is perhaps grounded you won't MELT something.

Can you remember which fuse position that is? Was it C3 as I have heard talk of using that position before. What do you use to jumper into the fuse board?

As there's no proper jumper on earlier cars I will probably get a cigarette lighter cable and keep it in the car, just in case.

Does anyone know if the boot jump starting points should work to power the car to open the bonnet without a battery fitted? And is the boot release a straight bowden cable or another electrical release?

Ta,

Rob

• Moderators

I'm missing something. The front trunk on a 1999 is mechanical. Why can't you lift up the lever to open the trunk?

If you cannot lift up the lever then the only reason I can think of is if the alarm was on and then the battery was disconnected. If the lever is locked down because of the alarm then there are several ways to get into the front trunk.

And is the boot release a straight bowden cable or another electrical release?

On these early models, the hood and trunk releases are straight bowden cables between the levers and the latches. However, the levers are locked down by a retaining pin when the alarm is set with the remote.

As I understand it, when the battery dies, this latching pin remains in place, and the levers cannot be raised until power is restored on the car.

It should be possible to loosen the plastic covering over the lever area and manually release the retaining pin. I have a full assembly sitting on my workbench, and a quick finger pull releases the levers. However, I don't know how involved that would be with the assembly installed in the car.

• 1 month later...