Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket/Custom 986 Boxster Hardtop

Here's another one, although I couldn't find a web link to the company's website. The manufacturer is Zientec Suisse Automotive, or Z-tec. They supposedly make a Boxster hardtop for almost 4000 Euros. (So why not just buy the one designed and engineered by the folks who brought you the Boxster in the first place?)

http://digiads.com.au/car-news/latest-Z%20...r_20060706.html

• 2 months later...
Does anyone knows the total cost ?

Is it easy to remove after fit...?

:renntech:

last i heard, the Zeintec top is ~$5000 USD.

i imagine that it is easy to remove, it probably attaches the same way as a boxster hardtop - front latch and spinlocks. but you'd also need to put the clamshell and rear trunk panel back on, so it's not a 'hey, i'll just take the top off' thing.

i wasn't so hot on the Zeintec top before. previous prototype versions didn't look as good as the latest one. it does look pretty good, but the side window still looks out of place. if they made it to fit a 911 side window (with flat, not curved back) it would look better. the problem there being you would need to change out your window every time you wanted to use the Zeintec top. or else keep the windows down. :)

this version also looks like you remove the clamshell, where with previous versions the top just rested on the clamshell. it is much better looking now. but the rounded side window look still ruins it for me. plus a 986 can never really look like a Cayman because of the old body styling. 987s on the other hand would look pretty close i think.

the other company that makes a 'Cayman' top looks like they took a 911 hardtop from a 911 cab and just put it on a boxster.

i think that EPIQ Autosport is trying to sell those in the US

aloha

steve

Does anyone knows the total cost ?

Is it easy to remove after fit...?

:renntech:

last i heard, the Zeintec top is ~$5000 USD.

i imagine that it is easy to remove, it probably attaches the same way as a boxster hardtop - front latch and spinlocks. but you'd also need to put the clamshell and rear trunk panel back on, so it's not a 'hey, i'll just take the top off' thing.

i wasn't so hot on the Zeintec top before. previous prototype versions didn't look as good as the latest one. it does look pretty good, but the side window still looks out of place. if they made it to fit a 911 side window (with flat, not curved back) it would look better. the problem there being you would need to change out your window every time you wanted to use the Zeintec top. or else keep the windows down. :)

this version also looks like you remove the clamshell, where with previous versions the top just rested on the clamshell. it is much better looking now. but the rounded side window look still ruins it for me. plus a 986 can never really look like a Cayman because of the old body styling. 987s on the other hand would look pretty close i think.

the other company that makes a 'Cayman' top looks like they took a 911 hardtop from a 911 cab and just put it on a boxster.

• 8 months later...

I had the opportunity to look this one over very closely at Parade a couple of weeks ago, very nice, dare I say 'awesome'?

The display car of course was a 986, in black and the effect was pretty much complete, it turned the Boxster into a Cayman look-alike!

As previously mentioned the installation is completely reversible and uses the stock spin locks and center windshield mount points, the hatch closes and latches into the stock trunk lid system.

I have a 987 and I am strongly considering it for mine, rumor has it that even Porsche has warmed up to the idea...

It looks great on the black 986, I wonder what it would look like on a speed yellow.

Looks like ****e if you ask me. The UK one reminds me of a centurions helmut. And the side windows just doesn't fit stylistically if you ask me.

If you want a hardtop why wouldn't you get a OEM one.

Similarly, if you want a Cayman, buy one !

I like the look of the zeintec version over the other UK item. Sure , its trying to look like a cayman and interesting they launched the version for the 986 before that for the 987 (still not available) For those that live outside of florida or the west coast , having a 987 that looks as stylish as a cayman in the winter is no bad thing. Not only is it more practicle than the boxster hard top but also looks a lot better IMHO. The boxster can never look identical to a cayman with a hard top because the windows are curved on the rear edge rather than straight on the cayman. This is the closest i've seen a boxster look to a cayman and I like the idea. We don't all have funds to own both models and most would rather own a 911 to a cayman anyway.

• 1 month later...

Can you purchase a Porsche 911 Cab hard top and use that on a Porsche Boxster S? If so, what modification do you have to do? That would be cheaper than buying a custom hardtop. I have a 2003 Porsche Boxster S and am looking for a hard top. Please advise.

Thanks,

Mac

The Zeintec looks great but seems like a lot of work and expense for something that I probablly can't wait to get rid of each spring. The factory bubble is easy enough to remove so I could pop it off on the occasional warm day in December.

the 911 hardtop will not fit a boxster

aloha

steve

Can you purchase a Porsche 911 Cab hard top and use that on a Porsche Boxster S? If so, what modification do you have to do? That would be cheaper than buying a custom hardtop. I have a 2003 Porsche Boxster S and am looking for a hard top. Please advise.

Thanks,

Mac

• 1 year later...

Mike, There's a terrific thread on Boxa.net entitled "Zeintop arriving tomorrow" in which three people describe their experiences of ordering and installing their Zeintops, along with great photos. I'm now adding to that thread as I describe the process of installing a DIY kit here in New York.