Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing ALL struts due to rattling and 99k mileage

I need some advice before starting, Within the Strut assembly, Front & Back... What are other peices can wear or break and cause rattling in my strut assembly???

Reason im asking is that when i do the Strut change, i dont wanna put it all together and still have rattling in the suspension.

I have low Speed rattles over bumps/cracks in the roads.

If anyone has an exploded view of the struts...that would help ALOT!

At the dealer, there looks to be something that has bearings in it made of Black Plastic that goes inside the strut assembly and also these things called Compensator rings..i dont know that they do but they are in the assembly of the strut and coil spring....do those ever wear?

Thanks guy and gals.

There are likely strut bearings, on the front anyway, that let the strut rotate while being attached to the vehicle. I don't have the detial in front of me, but all front struts I've worked have had some sort of mounting bearing at the top. And they wear out and make noise.

There are likely strut bearings, on the front anyway, that let the strut rotate while being attached to the vehicle. I don't have the detial in front of me, but all front struts I've worked have had some sort of mounting bearing at the top. And they wear out and make noise.

I see, is the noise typically a chatter or rattle at low speeds over bumps or cracks in the road, Majority of the noise is coming from my 2 rear struts...Any idea what that could be...i heard that when struts get so old that something internally will rattle and chatter cause of wear or miss-alignment due to excessive wear.

• Admin

I would have the suspension (and lower control arms) inspected by a good alignment shop - one that know a good part from bad one. Sorry, but not all dealers fall into that category - so a really good alignment shop. If you were in the San Francisco bay area I would recommend Custom Alignment. Since they work on a lot of race cars they down a weakened or worn out part from a good one.

I see, is the noise typically a chatter or rattle at low speeds over bumps or cracks in the road, Majority of the noise is coming from my 2 rear struts...Any idea what that could be...i heard that when struts get so old that something internally will rattle and chatter cause of wear or miss-alignment due to excessive wear.

it's likely not your struts. a chatter / clackity-clack in the rear (more prominent when cold) is usually due to a worn bearing in the upper control arms. the upper control arms must be replaced as the bearings are not servicable. the strut top mount bearings mentioned before are generally the culprit if you hear noises from the front (again, not necessarily the strut itself).

it's likely not your struts. a chatter / clackity-clack in the rear (more prominent when cold) is usually due to a worn bearing in the upper control arms. the upper control arms must be replaced as the bearings are not servicable. the strut top mount bearings mentioned before are generally the culprit if you hear noises from the front (again, not necessarily the strut itself).

hmmm if it were the rear upper control arms....I remember complaining to my dealer during the 30 day warrantee period about the noise and they said it was the rear shocks but they didnt cover worn shocks.....Do you think if it is the control arm, they would then honor the replacement since i did bring it up and a control arm sounds way more dangerous.???

OH yeah, the chattering and rattle are there all the time no matter the tempurature, but only audiable at speeds between 1-25mph.... any faster and i can roll over bumps and cracks in the road and will not hear anything outta the ordinary.

hmmm if it were the rear upper control arms....I remember complaining to my dealer during the 30 day warrantee period about the noise and they said it was the rear shocks but they didnt cover worn shocks.....Do you think if it is the control arm, they would then honor the replacement since i did bring it up and a control arm sounds way more dangerous.???

OH yeah, the chattering and rattle are there all the time no matter the tempurature, but only audiable at speeds between 1-25mph.... any faster and i can roll over bumps and cracks in the road and will not hear anything outta the ordinary.

they probably won't be covered by the warranty since it's the bearing in the control arm that goes bad (it's a wear item). this sounds like the control arm issue. three of us boxter owners work together; we all had similar issues and they all turned out to be the upper control arms (a '97 and two '99s)

I see, Hmmm, Is there a write-up on how to remove and replace then rear upper control arms?

don't know if there's a write-up on it, but it's easy. for descriptive purposes, the lower control arms are the ones that the wheel carriers are attached to (part #5 in the pic below). the upper control arms (a.k.a. track rods) that you want to replace are part #7 in the pic below (FYI, the part number is 986.331.043.07 and they're the same on both sides of the car.

jack up the rear of the car & put on jack stands (chock front wheels).

remove the rear wheels.

remove the bolt that attaches the upper control arm to the lower control arm (bolt head is 18mm, nut is 21mm).

remove the bolt that attaches the upper control arm to the chassis. i think the bolt head is 18mm. the nut is designed to stay on the car, but you still have to hold it. it's not a typical nut, it's square. hold it with an 18mm open ended wrench.

slide arm out of car.

install in reverse order. torque for both bolts is 160NM / 118lb-ft.

post-3131-1160595066_thumb.jpg

Edited by insite

OMG, that is easy!, thanks insite, ill tke a rubber malet to my suspension to isolate the noise and i hope it is the rear control arm instead of the Rear Strut...the more i drive the car, the more i think the struts are fine cause they arent spongy at all, they are pretty firm and i dont float around at all...Im pretty well planted to the ground at any speed.

They might have been replaced at one point.

• 3 months later...

Sorry people, I could not find the time to try and resolve this issue today on saturday, The racks at the shop were full BUT on tuesday i will be going to the shop to attempt to repair the trailing control arm. Ill keep you updated on the progress i make on tuesday.

I would have the suspension (and lower control arms) inspected by a good alignment shop - one that know a good part from bad one. Sorry, but not all dealers fall into that category - so a really good alignment shop. If you were in the San Francisco bay area I would recommend Custom Alignment. Since they work on a lot of race cars they down a weakened or worn out part from a good one.

Hi everybody, hi Loren,

I`m new to the forum and also to the Boxster, I got a 2002 Boxster S with 34Kmiles on it just a couple of weks ago and with the exception of dirt all around, I have just one problem and I`m not sure if it is the same problem I`ve been reading in this thread. I have Rattle noises coming from under the car(both front and rear suspension areas), but not metalic, more like plastic noises from the underbody panels, so far I have replaced loose clamps and nuts whith new ones, how ever the front panel is broken and missing a piece from the right side and the entire rear panel is missing. Could this be the source of the problem?. I dont wnat to spend a lot of money in control arms replacement just to find out it was just the panels. Thanks in advance for your help.

I had a similar experiance with my 2003, a clunk from the rear going over bumps. I didn't see this mentioned, but the mechanic at the dealer said that there was a TSB about the rear upper strut bushing/mount and that they were replaced under warranty. FYI

That did not fix the problem which ended up being the trailing link bushings (in may case on the drivers side).

Thanks everybody for your help, It looks like I`ll have to replace those control arms, however I took a look at the part number in my car which is 986.331.143.0, and I cant find the piece under that number in the PET, they appear with a different number in the catalog. My car is an 02 Boxster S. Would anybody know the correct number.

Also I have the same noises coming form the front suspension. Would it be the same control arm problem?

Thanks again for your help.

David