Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Short Throw Shift Kit on Ebay

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just installed one of the ebay knock-offs and I have to say I am quite happy with it. The gears are a bit harder to engage but I guess this is normal. Another thing I noticed and maybe related to what is discussed here is that now when in gear the lever is not 100% stable - it rocks left-right and forward-backward a tiny bit (maybe 1-2mm each direction). I cannot remeber how the stock lever was, so I wonder if this rocking is because of the short-shift and whether there is something I can do to get it fixed!

It's normal,mine has a minute amount of play as well. I checked out my dads 100% stock 996 and his has a tiny bit of play. I wouldn't worry about it. If I noticed it when I drove then it could be an issue,but it doesn't so I'm o.k.

I just installed one of the ebay knock-offs and I have to say I am quite happy with it. The gears are a bit harder to engage but I guess this is normal. Another thing I noticed and maybe related to what is discussed here is that now when in gear the lever is not 100% stable - it rocks left-right and forward-backward a tiny bit (maybe 1-2mm each direction). I cannot remeber how the stock lever was, so I wonder if this rocking is because of the short-shift and whether there is something I can do to get it fixed!

i had this same problem when i installed my Schnell short shifter. i was able to eliminate some of the play by tightening the bolt that the shaft pivots on. that actually helped quite a bit and took all of 10 seconds.

the remaining play in the shifter (mine anyway) is due to the side ball socket (sorry, i don't know the actual names of the parts - but it is the arm on the left side with the ball on the end of it that controls side-to-side movement) being smaller than the Porsche part. the ball fits into that white plastic piece that lowers when you move the shifter to the left, and raises when you move the shifter to the right. because the ball is smaller, it has a few mm's to go before it actually contacts the white piece to move it. if you could enclose the ball better within that white plastic piece, i think that would eliminate most of the side-to-side play.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Looks like how a B&M is packaged.

But it also looks like you have 2 extra bushings, which look black.

The housing for the shift lever looks black, not blue.

I see the tube of lubriplate grease that comes with a B&M.

Could be your crappy pictures and the flash.

post-4-1206899336_thumb.jpg

OK, so I read this whole thread in anxious anticipation of toolpants comparison...and nothing except for the pics! Appears the shift lever is a little beefier at the narrows, and the machined ball ends are slightly different in shape, but which , if either is constructed/machined better? If the metal is machined as poorly as the nylon bushings, then B&M here I come. Did anyone ever find out if B&M delrin bushings fit into the knock-offs cups? Thanks!

Looks like how a B&M is packaged.

But it also looks like you have 2 extra bushings, which look black.

The housing for the shift lever looks black, not blue.

I see the tube of lubriplate grease that comes with a B&M.

Could be your crappy pictures and the flash.

Hi ToolPants you are right the housing is black, which triggered my doubt. Wasn't aware of the two additional brushings.

I got the part from bumperplugs.com. Any experience with them?

How do I make sure I have the real thing. Should I call B&M?

Thanks,

Gus

Eric (bumperplugs.com) is a Contributing Member here - so you can always PM him.

I think what he sells is the real deal.

Thanks Loren,

I called bumperplugs and they were very friendly - accordingly to the person answering the phone (who now I know was Eric himself), they sell the real B&M and the company started using black last November. B&M tends to do some cosmetic changes overtime.

Best,

Gus

Just to add...their price is unbeatable....

Edited by gandrade1