Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

X74 Suspension Installed

:drive: Well......had the new X74 suspension installed from Gert at Carnewal. This is a beautiful piece of engineering from Porsche. The car handling is greatly improved. The steering is more precise and crisp. Cornering is much flatter. The ride is not significantly harsher than stock. I was very surprised at this. The springs are progressive and really firm up quickly under hard cornering conditions, but remain "comfortable" under normal driving. My wife hasn't really noticed the difference as a passenger.

The Porsche mechanic who installed it, said the car handles very much like the new GT3, except for a "heavier" feel due to the extra weight of the C2. The ride height seems to be very similar to GT3 also. The car dropped one inch, pretty consistently all the way around the car (about 1 1/8" in the front, and exactly one 1" in the rear). A vast improvement from the stock ride height. The car just looks that much better. It feels lower than it actually is. I also installed the engine protection plate.

Ride height is now pretty consistent at 25 3/8" -25 1/2".

I will be taking it to the track in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to feel the difference under those conditions.

Highly recommended!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Orlando -

I also had the X74 installed a few weeks ago, from Gert too.

I second everything you are saying. The improvement over stock is dramatic. In my case the car was lowered about 7/8" all around, it may settle a bit more.

IMHO the C2 should come stock with this suspension.

Let us know what happens at the track. It will be some time before I get there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi stile_s,

my car (2002 C2) left the factory with X74 and when I bought it, I was a bit concerned... quite low and hard.

But now I fully agree to Orlando Deke: Highly recommended!!!

In a german magazin they had a comparison of a C2 with stock suspension vs. 030 vs. X74 on the track (Hockenheim) and on a 36m (100ft) Slalom:

Hockenheim:

1:16.9 min stock

1:16.2 min 030

1:15.7 min X74

Speed Slalom:

123.0 km/h stock

126.1 km/h 030

127.2 km/h X74

Some comments of this mag on the X74:

' the 911 shows it's full potential...dynamics and fun grow eclatant...steering is on the point and with breathtaking precision...the back of the car grips the road....no body roll...'

Send me a private email if you are interested in the reprint (!! in german only!!).

regards

Wolfgang

Well, back from the track with X74. I could not believe the transformation on the track. The car is flat through the corners, and body roll is a distant memory. The car has migrated from a slight understeer bias to a more normal slight oversteer bias (as 911s should be!). The steering is VERY precise and responsive. You can really move the car around with precise steering input and throttle modulation. I was very surprised at how much faster I was coming out of the corners. Once the rear end has planted, the car seems to really just shoot out of the corners now. The suspension is confidence inspiring on the track. It was like driving a different car. TWO THUMBS UP!! :thumbup:

stiles_s:

you will notice abrupt transitions more with the x74. i do not live in an area where there are expansion joints so i can not comment on that. for example if you enter/exit your garage, going over the lip, the car will be very stiff. i do not find it at all objectionable.

as far as ground clearance i also have had no issues. be careful going over speedbumps and obviously don't pull right up to a curb. even the occasional steep angle driveway can be taken at an angle without trouble, if you have the room to get the car a little sideways.

I repeat, IMHO the C2 should come stock with the X74, it is after all supposed to be a sports car and not a lexus or cadillac.

but this is a slippery slope...next you start thinking about a gt3

Hi mb996,

I can only agree to all your comments, especially 'but this is a slippery slope...next you start thinking about a gt3'

X74 is the best thing between a standard 996 and a GT3 (and I really start thinking about it :P )

Regards

Wolfgang

I have a '04 Carrera with stock US suspension & 18" Carrera wheels. What's the difference between that, M030, and X74 (ride height, stiffness, etc.)? I don't track my car, but wouldn't mind it being lower, to decrease the space between the tires and wheel openings, and at the same time don't want a super stiff/harsh ride.

Poursha -

I installed the X74 because the RoWM030 is hit-and-miss with respect to ride height reduction and I also wanted something more aggressive. I'm sure RoWM030 is more "comfortable" than the X74. But I would not hesitate to install the X74 if you want a true sports car feeling. X74 is around $2.5-3K installed depending on shop rates while RoW M030 is probably $1.5-2K.

With respect to standard US ride height, I believe RoW M030 lowers the car 20 +-10mm and X74 lowers the car front/rear 40+-10/30+-10 mm. But I could have these wrong, you should search elsewhere. My car was lowered about 7/8" ~= 22 mm all around. It sits at 25 3/8" - 25 1/2" all around.

Also, Gert just happens to have the X74 on sale...

Your best bet is to find people in your area who have done each and try to drive them. It should be relatively easy to find RoW M030. It may be hard with X74 since it is relatively new and only fits 02- and newer Coupes.

• 3 weeks later...
The Porsche mechanic who installed it, said the car handles very much like the new GT3, except for a "heavier" feel due to the extra weight of the C2.

You do realize that the GT3 weighs MORE than a C2 right? Your mechanic was wrong about that.

• Admin
The Porsche mechanic who installed it, said the car handles very much like the new GT3, except for a "heavier" feel due to the extra weight of the C2.

You do realize that the GT3 weighs MORE than a C2 right? Your mechanic was wrong about that.

:lol: Maybe his mechanic is overweight? :lol:

I recently purchased the X73 suspension form Carnewal.

I did not installed the included motor mounts. After the first 100 miles of driving, I've decided this suspension is just too stiff for my tired old bones. In my younger days, it would have been great, but I 've grown older and softer. I would characterize the ride as somewhere between stock and GT2. The car is tight and handles much better than the stock suspension.

I reinstalled my stock suspension, and will be able to make someone a great deal on the X73 kit. The suspension has approximately 250 miles maximum.

$1500 for the 4 struts

$300 for the motor mounts

Ph: 309-675-4882

or e-mail ringness_fred@cat.com

Cheers,

Fred R.

I had the first X74 set in the US, now sitting in my basement. I have to say that is was the best normal suspension I have seen. I upgraded to a full race Moton setup with a lower ride height and much stiffer springs and the performance difference is amazingly small. You can drive it to the track and then RACE it at the track. Not may suspensions, particularly non adjustable ones can claim that. PAG did their homework on this one.

Driving on California's highways with my 1999 C2 which has the USA Sport suspension package seems to be the "hardest" suspension that would make sense on these roads. I do not think I would want to go for a stiffer suspension even if it would be for free, as in zero dollars. I also suspect that lowering the car will also increase the chance to hit the famous stops on the C2 and again, in my mind it would deter from the solid predictable ride my car currently has. Of course if you use your car on the track, that would be a total different requirement. I used to drive a Nissan 300Z TT and it was unbearable to drive it on the sport setting ( the car has a touring and sport setting activated / switched with a small knob in the cockpit) .

Sorry Hroussard, but I have to disagree. I have an '02 C4 Cab and I found the stock suspension to be too "floatly" particularly on long, undulating, sweepers. At higher speeds, I actually found it a bit un-nerving. I switched to the X74 and couldn't be happier. My driving is strictly weekend backroads fun stuff and this suspension makes the car so much more fun to drive. Just my opinion (and that's what's good about these discussion boards) but the X74 is a huge improvement over the stock set-up. I agree with testdrv321, PAG did their homework on this one. It's a "plug & play" suspension-and it works!

Add me to the ordered and installed from Gert but have not driven it yet list ;)

I still need an alignment and to finish installing my GT3 seats and roll cage.

-Jenner

Edited by jenner