Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Folding back window correctly

I just got my 99 Boxster. It's been ice cold here in Lexington, Ky., and I've just test run putting down the top for the first time. It's a new plastic rear window, since the dealer I bought it from cracked the last one when it was frozen. The window seems to fold bumpy, funny, not smooth. Is there a trick, or will it be ok when it's really warm enought? Thanks....Brad

The owners manual says not to put the top down when it is colder than freezing...

I cracked a rear window while test driving boxsters before I got mine....it was a dealer's so I didnt feel too bad....sad either way...

The windows do smooth out when the weather gets warmer....(It been very cold here in Atlanta as well......)

Enjoy....

• 5 months later...

i usually get out and make sure it folds flat and then place a towel in between to prevent scratching on the plastic. works well so far. just make sure you use a thin towel or the felt pieces for long term stoage.

• 3 weeks later...

:jump: You should always get out of the car, make certain there is a smooth fold in the window. Then with either a towel or a small pillow place it in the fold and complete folding the top. With the towel or pillow folded in the top you may leave it down for extended periods and not worry about leaving a permanent crease in the window.

re: >> You should always get out of the car, make certain there is a smooth fold in the window <<

Since I received the car new, Feb 2002, I have never done this. I do not have a permanent crease. Sometimes, say at 100 degrees, it folds in a nice smooth arc. Sometimes it wrinkles and bunches a little as it goes down. To me this is operating as designed.

If I were putting on the hardtop for the winter, I would do 'the chop' and put in some padding. For everyday use, IMO, this is not required.

Rather than hardtop during the winter, last winter I continued to drive her as a convertible. Under 45 degrees, when driving top down, I fold an electric blanket around the plastic window (inside the car) and keep the window warmed to operating temperatures.

As far as I know, plastic window creases and cracks are related to low temperature rather than 'the chop.'

Agree with using the towel for the window when in the down position. I use a microfiber towel, as it makes it completely scratch free. Also suggest using a product called "Gel Gloss" for removing scratches on window and rear deflecter panel.

I noticed the same as Adsach here.

In "warm" weather, the plastic is sufficiently soft to bend into a fold, albeit somewhat non-smooth. The fold is not permanent and doesn't leaves creases. In cold weather, the plastic hardens, and will snap if the window temperature is too low. In the gray zone in between, the plastic works better if you "guide" it, hence the "chop".

I don't know what the (actual window) temperature definitions are. If I had to guess, I'd say: below 40 degrees, too cold to operate; above 60 degrees don't worry; in between - it is up to you.

I don't use the "towel" to protect the window, but when the car is not used, I store it with the top up, which stretches the window (dealer recommendation).

Plexus is very good in keeping the window looking clear - do not use windex!