Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Calipers finished and fitted with the new wheels

Guys,

Just to finish off on what colour my calipers should be painted, well I listened to all your comments (many thanks) I'll let you check out the pictures to decide if I made the right choice.

Regards as always

Nik

post-15428-1169806400_thumb.jpg

post-15428-1169806481_thumb.jpg

If you painted them blue then I hope it is becasue YOU like them, which is of course all that matters when it comes to our cars. But, since you posted them up and looking for opinion, I am not liking that at all. Just too cheezy for me to see calipers painted to match the body color. Calipers in my opinion should either be just a standard black (non high perform,ance systems or when it is a high performance system it (like the ones on our cars) should be red.

They look quite nice...how about a photo catching a bit more of the car so we can see the whole picture. Also, some detail on how you painted, decal application and so forth. What's important is that you are pleased with the job; there will always be skeptics.

I like the new wheels, as well. I have Carrera Classics on my Boxster. I feel they are a great improvement over the twist wheels.

Edited by jmatta

They look quite nice...how about a photo catching a bit more of the car so we can see the whole picture. Also, some detail on how you painted, decal application and so forth. What's important is that you are pleased with the job; there will always be skeptics.

I like the new wheels, as well. I have Carrera Classics on my Boxster. I feel they are a great improvement over the twist wheels.

YEP i'LL POST SOME MORE PICS TOMORROW WHEN THE CAR IS CLEAN, THE WEATHER IN THE UK IS HORRIBLE TODAY, I TOO LOVE THE CLASSICS - WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE TOO WELL IN THE PICS IS THAT MINE ARE THE BLACK CHROME SMOKED TYPE WHICH REALLY SUIT THE ZENITH BLUE PAINTWORK.

I THINK THE CALIPERS LOOK PRETTY GOOD, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL TOO EASY TO GO FOR BLACK, RED OR YELLOW. I AM WORKING ON ANOTHER SET AT THE MOMENT IN SILVER.

REGARDS

NIK

They look great and certainly suit the cars wheels, the blue sky looks nice as well, come to the UK and put up with gray skies, all the public transport grinding to a halt aas soon as we get one flake of snow.

I'm undecided on whether or not I like the matching calipers. But the paint job looks very nice.

I have to ask...

Is it a coincidence that the valve stems are at the bottom or did you jack it up and turn the wheels for the picture?

Also, are those regular lug bolts? They look like they are female bolts.

I'm undecided on whether or not I like the matching calipers. But the paint job looks very nice.

I have to ask...

Is it a coincidence that the valve stems are at the bottom or did you jack it up and turn the wheels for the picture?

Also, are those regular lug bolts? They look like they are female bolts.

I always jack the car up to clean the wheels, I wax the inside at least twice a year and the jack helps me keep them clean inside and out, it's a habit of mine to turn the wheels after cleaning and finally the rear bolts are female as i needed spacers to make the wheels fit.

Regards

Nik

hi nik,

just my $.02, but i'm not crazy about this look. as others have mentioned, the paint-job looks good, but the color might just be a little too much (for me, anyway). i think that silver with blue lettering would be a much better match. i just so happen to have that combo on my car! ;)

4849.jpg

btw, how did you do yours (brush-on kit, spray-paint, etc.)? it looks like your caliper decals may be a little smaller than the standard decals, as well.

Edited by Chris_in_NH

hi nik,

just my $.02, but i'm not crazy about this look. as others have mentioned, the paint-job looks good, but the color might just be a little too much (for me, anyway). i think that silver with blue lettering would be a much better match. i just so happen to have that combo on my car! ;)

4849.jpg

btw, how did you do yours (brush-on kit, spray-paint, etc.)? it looks like your caliper decals may be a little smaller than the standard decals, as well.

had a spare set of calipers Chris so used those, funnily enough Im doing a set in silver at the moment so might well swap when they are done.

I sprayed mine using plasticote enamel 4 coats then 2 coats of clear, the decals matched perfectly with the old Porsche lettering so I guess they are right.

I sprayed mine using plasticote enamel 4 coats then 2 coats of clear, the decals matched perfectly with the old Porsche lettering so I guess they are right.

yup, i think spray-painting yields the best results for sure! i noticed that you had some silver ones in-the-works, so i'm sure i'll like those better. ;)

as far as the decals, that's weird that your original calipers had the smaller lettering. you do see the size difference between yours and mine, right? as far as i know, the replacement decals that i ordered are the standard size, but i'm not 100% sure on that. i got mine from www.xenonmods.com. Rich over there can make them in any color you want. $10 for 6, IIRC.

anyway, i think that these blue calipers are a little 'too' blue. i notice a subtle purple shade in the car's paint that i don't see in the calipers which i think draws more attention to the calipers (hey - could be good or bad!) i had considered doing mine in Ocean Blue, but eventually decided against it.

what color silver are you using? (i used 'Aluminum' color from Duplicolor). is the plasticote 'hi-heat' paint or just regular? if it's not hi-heat, you might want to think about getting a can of Wurth Silber (Silver) Spray which is almost a perfect match for the silver Porsche wheels. i've considered doing this as well, but people tell me that it will eventually crack, but i am ever-skeptical. if it does crack, i could just paint them again with the hi-heat stuff, i guess.

good luck with the silvers. i am very interested to see them!

/chris

Chris -

When getting the Wurth Silver spray paint, take special note that they reformulated it so that it didn't match the wheels. Then they went back to the original. But there are some rogue spray cans that don't match the wheels. I was unfortunate enough to get one of the wrong ones and eventually got the correct one.

Chris -

When getting the Wurth Silver spray paint, take special note that they reformulated it so that it didn't match the wheels. Then they went back to the original. But there are some rogue spray cans that don't match the wheels. I was unfortunate enough to get one of the wrong ones and eventually got the correct one.

weird. i never knew that.

were they reformulated specifically so that they would no longer match the wheels, or do you think it was a change in recipe for another reason? i thought Wurth's whole 'thing' was that they matched German silver wheels (BMW, Porsche, MB, etc.)?

i will keep an eye out for these 'rogue' cans! ;)

• Moderators

The base Box comes with black calipers, and there have 3 flavors of black used by Porsche for the 986 body color.

The S came with red calipers, but there is also a guards red for the body.

But when Nik takes a blue car and paints the black calipers blue, there is a debate. I don't get it and this is why I have little interest in cosmetic change messages.

But, as the fashion police and since Nik is from the UK, this is what he should have done.

post-4-1170018152_thumb.jpg