Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Install an Optima Battery

I got an optima 34R battery yesterday to replace my failing stock battery. I figured out a way to secure the battery to the tray without having to make the popular adapter plate.

The Boxster's battery tray has 9 holes in it. 5 are down the center of the tray in the long direction, 3 of them are threaded for the locking bracket and two are through holes at the ends of the plate. The 4 others are for mounting the tray to the chassis.

The Optima battery has flanges at the lower short ends for mounting, just like the Porsche part does. The problem is that the Optima battery is too short to match any of the threaded holes in the tray correctly and placing it all the way over to the driver's side like the stock battery makes the positive terminal too far away for the cables to reach. The Optima needs to sit about centered on the battery tray for both cable to reach the terminals.

The Optima comes with some mounting brackets, one of which functions exactly the same way as the stock steel tie-down bracket, it grabs the flanges at the edges of the battery. So now I have two tie down brackets that will grab the flanges of the battery.

Test fitting showed that if I used the Optima tie down in the extra hole on the driver's side, I just needed to extend the tie down on the passenger side to grab the passenger side flange of the battery due to the hole locations. I made a 4" by 2" plate of 1/8" aluminum, turned the hold down around so it would grab the aluminum plate properly, and screwed everything down. The driver's side bracket is held in place with a stainless button head screw, washer and nut.

Everything is very tightly held down, the battery posts are at the same height as stock and it all cost about $1.50 in extra stainless steel hardware.

:edit - fixed links:

HPIM0605.jpg

HPIM0606.jpg

HPIM0607.jpg

HPIM0608.jpg

HPIM0609.jpg

Edited by blue2000s

• Moderators
I got an optima 34R battery yesterday to replace my failing stock battery. I figured out a way to secure the battery to the tray without having to make the popular adapter plate.

The Boxster's battery tray has 9 holes in it. 5 are down the center of the tray in the long direction, 3 of them are threaded for the locking bracket and two are through holes at the ends of the plate. The 4 others are for mounting the tray to the chassis.

The Optima battery has flanges at the lower short ends for mounting, just like the Porsche part does. The problem is that the Optima battery is too short to match any of the threaded holes in the tray correctly and placing it all the way over to the driver's side like the stock battery makes the positive terminal too far away for the cables to reach. The Optima needs to sit about centered on the battery tray for both cable to reach the terminals.

The Optima comes with some mounting brackets, one of which functions exactly the same way as the stock steel tie-down bracket, it grabs the flanges at the edges of the battery. So now I have two tie down brackets that will grab the flanges of the battery.

Test fitting showed that if I used the Optima tie down in the extra hole on the driver's side, I just needed to extend the tie down on the passenger side to grab the passenger side flange of the battery due to the hole locations. I made a 4" by 2" plate of 1/8" aluminum, turned the hold down around so it would grab the aluminum plate properly, and screwed everything down. The driver's side bracket is held in place with a stainless button head screw, washer and nut.

Everything is very tightly held down, the battery posts are at the same height as stock and it all cost about $1.50 in extra stainless steel hardware.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0609.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0605.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0606.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0607.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0608.jpg

You do realize that Yellow Dog Motorsports makes these in kit form (everything needed to do a 5 min install included) either in plastic or aluminum.....................................

You do realize that Yellow Dog Motorsports makes these in kit form (everything needed to do a 5 min install included) either in plastic or aluminum.....................................

I Googled Yellow Dog Motorsports and got some quarter midget site about a kid's family team. How do you order the kit?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0609.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0605.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0606.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0607.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3...ll/HPIM0608.jpg

Never heard of them. Care to share the link? Unless it costs $2.00, my solution is cheaper.

My Optima battery didn't come with the mounting brackets :angry: They look like they make the installation pretty simple, and they don't raise the top of the battery as much as if you used a 3/8" mounting plate underneath, which makes connecting the battery cables easier. And swapping out the battery for a new one looks pretty straightforward

My Optima battery didn't come with the mounting brackets :angry: They look like they make the installation pretty simple, and they don't raise the top of the battery as much as if you used a 3/8" mounting plate underneath, which makes connecting the battery cables easier. And swapping out the battery for a new one looks pretty straightforward

The battery came with three different mounting brackets (that finally explain what those square holes in the bottom of the battery are for) and a pedestal that can be used to make it match the height of some standard batteries.

• Moderators

I Googled Yellow Dog Motorsports and got some quarter midget site about a kid's family team. How do you order the kit?

To my knowledge, they do not have a website yet. But you can reach them at YELLOWDOGMOTORSP@aol.com, or at

Yellow Dog Motorsports

801 E. 59th Street

Davenport, IA 52807

(563) 386-0675.

Ask for Jan, (the owner), he is very nice to do business with. He has two kits, one with a plastic mounting plate, one in machined aluminum, both are beautifully made and include all stainless steel fasteners. I have the aluminum unit, and mounting the 34R to it and then installing it into the car took about 5 min. And yes, it costs more than $2, but is well worth the investment. I've even had my dealer ask about where I got it as his parts manager wanted to get a couple of kits for stock......the kits are that nice........

Edited by JFP in PA

The reason for this post is to show a way to attach an Optima battery without using the tray method.

There are a few companies out there that would be happy to charge you $30-$250 for a piece of plastic or aluminum with holes drilled in it.

My point is that it's not necessary to use a second tray. You can install the battery without waiting for other parts, save some money, easily use the stock cables, an locate your battery in the center of the car.

Edited by blue2000s

• Moderators
The reason for this post is to show a way to attach an Optima battery without using the tray method.

There are a few companies out there that would be happy to charge you $30-$250 for a piece of plastic or aluminum with holes drilled in it.

My point is that it's not necessary to use a second tray. You can install the battery without waiting for other parts, save some money, easily use the stock cables, an locate your battery in the center of the car.

That's fine; however, I'd rather spend $40, use my stock cables, have the battery centered, and a machined and brushed-finish aluminum mounting plate with all stainless steel fasteners that yeilds a pristine installation rather than some pieces of crudely cut metal and some plastic bits...................but maybe that's just my perspective...........

That's fine; however, I'd rather spend $40, use my stock cables, have the battery centered, and a machined and brushed-finish aluminum mounting plate with all stainless steel fasteners that yeilds a pristine installation rather than some pieces of crudely cut metal and some plastic bits...................but maybe that's just my perspective...........

Again, you've missed the point of the thread. The DIY section is for instructions on DIY projects. I'd suggest you start a new thread somewhere else if you want to defend your solution.

• Moderators

Again, you've missed the point of the thread. The DIY section is for instructions on DIY projects. I'd suggest you start a new thread somewhere else if you want to defend your solution.

Allow me end my obvious interruption of your "look how cheap I can be" chest-beating session by also commenting that your installation will most likely also fail a tech/safety inspection for any DE, Auto X or SCCA event as well............but go right ahead and enjoy your parsimoniousness………………..OK, now the stage is all yours………………….