Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Homelink Visor install

I have read through all of the previous threads about installing a remote using various switches.

Has anyone simply tried going to an car salvage yard and buying a visor with the homelink buttons on it like pictured below? I thought a clean install would be to get the switch and have it installed on the visor connecting to the light to the mirrors for power. Anyone have any thoughts about doing that?

post-21-1077138646.jpg

That's what I am looking for. But after browsing Homelink's web site, they don't have any visor-switch kind of opener available. And I believe to do this mod is not that difficult if the visor mirror has light on it. Just can't find supply for the button that can be installed in the visor and has a very clean look as the photo shows. I would like to have some information on this too.

I have had the same thought and think it's a good idea. I've seen a few visors on ebay but most are tan or grey (I have black). If I find one for cheap I might buy it to take it apart.

There are also rear-view mirrors available with Homelink, but I'm not sure if they would mount properly.

http://www.truckspecialties.com/mitomirror/homelink.htm

-Scott

Firewired, what a great idea! (BTW, congrats again on your new car. This is M3again from M3forum).

I have a spare pair of vinyl visors which I don't mind tearing up to figure this out. I wonder how accessible the power is in there. How much of the vinyl do I have to open to get to the power?

The Audi homelink visor buttons definitely look like they will fit the 996 visors.

Loren,

So you ended up using just the guts from the homelink and not the buttons, right? I could do that with just an old spare garage door opener with 3 buttons?

Also do you get good reception from that location? If so, I have another idea. I replaced my ash tray with the non-smoker tray. I'm wondering if I can mount the homelink unit (with buttons) on the inside (driver's side) wall of that tray. (make a cutout in the tray itself) Then it would be pretty accessible and hidden, and easy to remove/undo later on if I want to. What do you think?

Also, the VW/Audi homelink unit in their visors looks a lot smaller (thinner) than the one in that picture.

Edited by nova996

• Admin
Loren,

So you ended up using just the guts from the homelink and not the buttons, right? I could do that with just an old spare garage door opener with 3 buttons?

Also do you get good reception from that location? If so, I have another idea. I replaced my ash tray with the non-smoker tray. I'm wondering if I can mount the homelink unit (with buttons) on the inside (driver's side) wall of that tray. (make a cutout in the tray itself) Then it would be pretty accessible and hidden, and easy to remove/undo later on if I want to. What do you think?

Also, the VW/Audi homelink unit in their visors looks a lot smaller (thinner) than the one in that picture.

This is just one solution. I like HomeLink but this is still not what I want to do.

My wife's Jeep has HomeLink in the visor but ours are too thin. My Mercedes has it in the rear view mirror - that is a possibility but needs more investigation.

I've also though about a junk yard to get one of these and see if they are thinner. Good luck if you can find one before me.

Would have been a lot nicer if Porsche would have just put HomeLink in their cars...

Would have been a lot nicer if Porsche would have just put HomeLink in their cars...

Yes, sir, that would have saved us a lot of time!

Our passat (which costs less than the options on some people's 911s) came with the homelink in the visor. And that visor is pretty thin also. Time to check the junkyard.

Thanks for your help, as always!