Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Start

Bogg, I had no idea anyone did an amber to blue interior/gauge illumination mod! I'd love blue instead of amber in my car. My previous car was about the same way, and a few people had figured out how to swap in blue LEDs. Is that how you did that to your peices? Got a 'how to'?

BTW, Rascal, if you look at Bogg's pictures, there is one that has a push to start button in the dash (opposite of where the cig lighter goes), but it's kinda blurry.

that's a nice start button but i actually prefer to use the oem honda s2000 button as it matches the color of the boxters interior lights...have installed these in my previous cars and am actually planning to put one into the boxster soon....it should just slide right in and wiring it is pretty easy...

• Admin
I'd like to have something like Nissan's SmartKey...

Basically, as long as the key is in proximity of the car, you can switch it on and start it. No need to take the 'key' out of your pocket.

You mean like Porsche's KESSY (Keyless Entry keyless go/control unit) used on the Cayenne?

I don't think it has been offered on anything except the Cayenne yet.

I'd like to have something like Nissan's SmartKey...

Basically, as long as the key is in proximity of the car, you can switch it on and start it. No need to take the 'key' out of your pocket.

You mean like Porsche's KESSY (Keyless Entry keyless go/control unit) used on the Cayenne?

I don't think it has been offered on anything except the Cayenne yet.

Something like that, yeah. Seems to me it would be do-able as an aftermarket add on... It would just interface with the security system and could be wired to the ignition.

I'd like it like this:

I put the 'key' in my pocket. Walk out of my apartment, up to my car and it unlocks automatically. I get in, flip a switch or turn a knob, then push a button and the engine starts. Then I drive away. I get to where I'm going, flip the switch or knob to shut off the engine, and exit the vehicle. As soon as I'm X feet away, the doors lock and the alarm arms.

Hi Guys,

I dont really like the red button, I prefer the silver metal button, I just think the red ones look a little tacky.

One thing regarding the keyless start, I have a feeling this could be created....need some fancy electronics.....but inside the keyfob, is there not a transmitter capsule with the immobilizer in?? Basically, if you try to start the car with out the capsule the immobilizer will kick in. Therefore, you could by pass the need to put the key in and start the engine with the key still in your pocket.

The need for an extra step, its simply the pleasure factor, most sports cars have push button starts......its just something about push start that warms the heart.....I think so anyway.

Regarding the blue light conversion.....this is an easy mod, and I'm sure boggtown or myself can guide you though this, however I actually like the orange.

While on the blue light, I have just programmed my micro processor with the tach input coding for the blue light rev limiter like the nobles. I just need to install it all....

....basically, I am designing the dial clocks so that numbering around the Tach only has the following stages,

At between 0 - 3500 RPM, the number color is the standard orange. The between 3500 - 7000 RPM (which I class as the power band) the number color changes to Blue. Then past 7000 RPM as you approach the rev limiter, the numbers flash blue.

I will post a movie as soon as this is installed.

Russ

Ya, I prefer the S2000 button also, just havent gotten around to buying one. Now that im done it would just be switching the wires to the new button. Technically I could put any momentary switch there, or even a toggle. You find me a sweet looking button and I might change it, I just cant find any.

Rascal, I'm sure the blue LED mod isn't TOO difficult, but having some documentation never hurts. I much prefer blue illumination to amber. If I found a source of adequate LEDs and at least a little documentation on at least the gauge cluster modifications, I'd definitely like to attempt it. I'd have to brush up on my soldering skills... it's been a long time since I've used 'em.

I think the idea you had for the changing color illumination on the tach could be pretty dang interesting. Personally, I'd be going from blue to amber/red as the revs go up... but that's just me. Definitely post when you do it!

While we're on this topic.... I've had the pleasure of driving some of the newer bluetooth keyed cars, and I absolutely love it. Leave the "key" in your pocket and hit start. I have wondered....anyone think theres any way of retrofitting something like this into a car that came with a key? I'm going to guess pretty much no, but I love the thought.

Patrick

While we're on this topic.... I've had the pleasure of driving some of the newer bluetooth keyed cars, and I absolutely love it. Leave the "key" in your pocket and hit start. I have wondered....anyone think theres any way of retrofitting something like this into a car that came with a key? I'm going to guess pretty much no, but I love the thought.

Patrick

I think it could be retrofit pretty easily. Replace the key cylinder lock with just a rotating knob. This would turn the ignition switch. A piggy back module could connect to the vehicle's security system, and tell it to - lock or unlock the doors based on proximity of the key, allow the ignition switch to turn on the car and start the engine.

It should be pretty easy to do, IMHO.

I would have to look in to the shipping for you, but cant imagine it would be mega bucks. Do you want me to look in to this for you??

Also, can we extend the discussion of the Bluetooth keys......this would be ace to do a retrofit. Does anyone have any ideas of the parts we would need??

I would have to look in to the shipping for you, but cant imagine it would be mega bucks. Do you want me to look in to this for you??

Also, can we extend the discussion of the Bluetooth keys......this would be ace to do a retrofit. Does anyone have any ideas of the parts we would need??

I don't think anyone is making a module for something like this... Some car alarm company or similar would have to come up with a unit that would do all this stuff on it's own, then adapt it to piggy back on existing security systems... probably not an easy task. Feasible, but not easy.