Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible top tension cable

The passenger side tension cable of my 03 C2 cabrio is broken. The top part of the cable ends on a spring that attaches to the top of the roof (over passenger window). Anyone knows if there is a part # for the cable and/or spring?

post-10858-1181658419.jpg

Loren, the cable is attached at the top part (where the vertical arrow points) with a spring and runs within the fabric (?) all the way to where the horizontal arrow points. I suspect it is part of the canvas - I just hope it can be purchased separately.

• 3 years later...

I see you never got a response for this one.

I would like to change those same cables in my car, as they are lost some "tightness", they are somewhat "stretched" and would like to get the roof to be tighter around the seams.

1999 996 Convertible

I see you never got a response for this one.

I would like to change those same cables in my car, as they are lost some "tightness", they are somewhat "stretched" and would like to get the roof to be tighter around the seams.

1999 996 Convertible

I believe this is the part you are looking for (one for the right side, one for the left side):

post-6627-0-95621000-1298568453_thumb.jp

It's item # 7 in the diagram...Porsche part number 996.561.931.01

Double check with your parts supplier before ordering to make sure.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the reply,I will check, but those appear to be short.

As mpikounis wrote, the cable seems to run inside a plastic channel which is part of the convertible top canvas, from corner to corner on each side (as he shows in his picture).

I also hope is a separate cable, as my canvas top is in almost perfect condition, but the cables at each end are not too tight.

Thanks for the reply,I will check, but those appear to be short.

As mpikounis wrote, the cable seems to run inside a plastic channel which is part of the convertible top canvas, from corner to corner on each side (as he shows in his picture).

I also hope is a separate cable, as my canvas top is in almost perfect condition, but the cables at each end are not too tight.

PE:

Although the cable appears to be short, I believe that is only because of the illustration, which is not to scale.

I have replaced the same cable in a Boxster and the illustration is the same (cable is item #2). Although it looks short, the cable (in a Boxster) runs from under the B-Pillar frame of the convertible top, where it terminates in an eyelet, to the aluminum shoulder plates on the sides, near the front of the top, where it is attached to those plates with a spring, as the OP described.

Here is the same diagram from the Boxster:

post-6627-0-70588000-1298572773_thumb.jp

For reference, here is a photo of what the cable and shoulder plate look like (again in a Boxster), showing where the cable attaches to the spring at the shoulder plate:

post-6627-0-02460000-1298573174_thumb.jp

(Red arrows are the cable and, towards the rear, it runs inside a vinyl sheath or piping, blue arrow points to the spring under its rubber sheath)

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...