Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Locking the Headlights

I have a 2002 Boxster and I changed out my headlights last weekend with clear 2003 Boxster headlights. They slid in nicely, work well and look great. I have one problem though - I can't get the lights to "lock" into place. The service manual suggests that they "click", but I've turned the locking screw each direction many times and can't get them to stay in place. For now I'm holding the lights into place by keeping the allen wrenchs tight in place. This makes me a little nervous.

Now for my three questions (and the service manual is no help with these) - (1) How far should the locking unit be turned to lock the headlights? (2) What direction should the locking unit be turned to lock the headlights? (3) What "fix" should be used if the headlights just won't lock in?

Please provide any additional thoughts. This simple little job has me pulling my hair out.

• Moderators

For a US LHD car.

For the passenger side counterclockwise to lock. Drivers side clockwise to lock.

Make sure the headlight is seated then push it in hard with one hand, then lock it with the tool with the other hand. Like Loren said, it will make a snap noise when it is locked. My guess is your are not turning the tool hard enough because you are afraid of breaking something.

I too had problems locking in my headlights until I realized the cheap-o wrench provided in the Boxster's tool kit (stamped steel) was worn just enough that the flats slipped on the locking bar hex. Using a hex socket on a ratchet extension worked just fine. The over-center design of the locking mechanism requires a fair bit of force and will announce the locked position with a solid"clunk" as it reaches about 90 degrees of rotation. Hope this helps. B)

I had a problem several weeks ago seating my passenger right side light. I was very careful pushing it in but had a heck of time. I had advice to twist the wrench to seat it in while pushing at the same time. Apparently the previous owner or ham-fisted service tech had broken the clip that holds the female socket into place. I ended up having to (gulp) use duct tape to hold the socket into place. It looks like it would be expensive and difficult to replace. If problems arise I may have to splice longer wires into the socket and just plug it in before sliding the unit in. I’m not comfortable with it the way it is now because I don’t know how far in the light seated into the socket. I may go ahead and rewire it just to be on the safe side. I’m concerned about a poor connection over heating.

If this is the broken clip you are talking about - then replace it.

is the clip replaceable or do you have to replace the whole mounting assembly? Mine busted a while back, so I removed the wiring harness and snapped off part of the bracket to get it out. It was the only way to get the wiring out far enough to manually attach it to the light. It appeared at the time that this clip is part of an entire molded piece that the headlight assembly sits on.

Please advise. Also, where does one get this, how much, and what's the part number?

Thanks,

Will

'00 2.7L

Sorry, I wasn't specifici enough, broken parts are the yellow clip and part of the blue socket was chipped and broken away. I wish it was just the clip it wouldn"t be a problem to just repace the clip. A heck of a lot easier than rewiring the socket. You may have the best idea and I'll see if I can get a new socket and just rewire that along with a new clip.

Edited by Tom C

• Moderators

Left clip is 631 245 00. Right 996 631 246 00.

Black plastic bracket that you slide the headlight into and then lock it in place. Left 996 631 041 00. Right 996 631 042 00. According to PET if you buy a bracket it includes the clip.

I too had problems locking in my headlights until I realized the cheap-o wrench provided in the Boxster's tool kit (stamped steel) was worn just enough that the flats slipped on the locking bar hex. Using a hex socket on a ratchet extension worked just fine. The over-center design of the locking mechanism requires a fair bit of force and will announce the locked position with a solid"clunk" as it reaches about 90 degrees of rotation. Hope this helps. B)

I also had the same problem- was trying for the longest time to lock my litronics back in after replacing some burned out parking lamps, and just couldn't do it. Finally realized that the factory headlight tool was rounded. Borrowed a tool to get the headlamps locked back in, and ordered a new headlight tool.

• 11 months later...

Tool Pants, don't know if you realize it or not but you've helped me out several times to your replies to other people during the last year. You replied to my respones last year about the clip that holds the light socket in place. I duct taped it and as temperary fixes go it turned out to be temperary. Do you have the part number of the yellow clip that I need or can you please tell me where to find it. If not, I'll try the local Porsche Dealer. Thanks.

Tool Pants, please disregard my request, I saw in the trail you had already posted the part numbers, thanks.

Same issues guys ;) Replaced factory headlights with the litronics, and couldnt for the life of me figure out why they weren't locking right. Rounded stock headlight key was the problem. Got a Socket wrench with an extended arm and a #5 socket and bam... Had to put a significant amount of pressure on both sides to get it to lock, but "click" it went! Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Thanks so much for your post - I thought I might've stripped the headlight retention mechanism - I didn't realize how cheap the toolkit wrench was and how easily I stripped it. Considering the engineering marvel that is the superlightweight jack, I was surprised that the tools are so cheap.

It's a 5mm socket for future reference if people find this post. The socket cured all and allowed me to pop the passenger headlight in just as easily as the driver side.

• 7 years later...

This is the best solution. I the tool "clicks" fairly easily it means it is slipping on the hex ended locking bar.  Probably stripping it a bit - hopefully only damaging the cheap-o tool from the kit. First instruction should be "do not use the tool in your Porsche kit... it is junk. Use a 5mm socket and you will have no problems. The only click you should get requires a fair amount of torque and results in a very solid click.