Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What the hell is this?

Hi Guys:

I'm in the process of installing an amplifier on my MY99 Carrera C2 Coupe and found this box. There is a cable, it seems to be an RF cable, that goes from the box with the FCC ID number all the way to the front of the car where the latch is; also the grey box is connected to the box with the FCC ID number and also connects to the battery positive side.Does anybody could tell me that this is?

post-15979-1190058330_thumb.jpg

post-15979-1190058349_thumb.jpg

post-15979-1190058370_thumb.jpg

It could be the modulator unit for the built in ariel (normal radio type), see if the rf cable goes towards the head unit?

Could also be somthing similar for the phone module? or even GPS ( but dont think so looking at the size of the cable)

You dont know if its been fitted with a radar jamming device do you? if the cable runs around to the front of the car?

most likely ariel tho

try unplugging it, see what doesnt work

JOn

• Moderators

To be sure you could always report your car stolen and see what happens....

It is interesting to see the places where these tracker devices are hidden, then the car is sold to another person who does not have a clue.

Years ago at a work on cars day I replaced the tail lights on a 2000 Boxster S. When I removed the left side tail light I saw "stuff" inside the fender that I had not seen before. The owner was the original owner and said it was a LoJack.

Not so long ago on a UK Boxster board the new owner of a used car saw a wire hanging from the bottom of the front bumper cover. Turned out to be the antenna for the UK version of LoJack.

post-4-1190080317_thumb.jpg

There's one thread on Rennlist that's a real kick....a guy found a "device" that no one could ID until a former government reader suggested that he check into the names of the previous owners.....and that the "government" must have had an interest in the movement of the vehicle. Not suggesting that in this case, because it's been confirmed as a LoJack, but it was an interesting thread to say the least. I guess PO meant Police Operations.... :)

Guys, did an FCC ID search in the web a it is a LoJack.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Now that you know your car has LoJack, I would suggest you register it with loJack and they will ensure it is operational and register it to your current address and give you the car with the instructions for utilizing it case of theft ( God forbid). There is a nominal fee for validation and the tech will perform the check and re-registration anywhere you choose and no annual charge for the service.The good news for me having just gone through the process with LoJack is I notified my insurance company and received a 15% discount. demosan. :D